Help identify this G-1

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by pilot error, May 11, 2017.

1. pilot error

pilot error One of the Regulars

Ok... these are not my pictures, looks early to me. Knits replaced, Talon pull looks 50's but could be a replacement. Pockets remind me of W&G, Monarch, etc.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Vendor

Looks like a W&G to me based on the pocket shape and collar shape. The zipper is a replacement. Could be a WWII jacket so it may not be a G1. Any stencil on the back of the collar?

3. pilot error

I only have these pictures....could it be an M422a with that lining?

4. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Vendor

Yes W&G and some others used brown rayon on the WWII M422, ANJ-3A, and AN6552 jackets. They were not all red.
    W&G label.jpg

Those pocket flaps are more like W&G than Monarch. W&G had very deeply scalloped pocket flaps. More so than others.
    Also that pocket looks like it may have the pencil slot on the left pocket which only the M-422A had. Hard to tell for sure. If that is the case, it would have USN on the back of the collar and a bell shaped Talon puller. The zipper is a replacement. You can see where the stitch line drifts off the original stitch line a bit near the top

Check out the unique shape of the W&G pocket flap. It nearly forms a letter "M" with it's shape. It is my favorite out of the WWII flight jacket pocket flaps:
    W&G Flap.JPG

Best of luck!
    - Jay

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    ButteMT61 and El Marro like this.
  5. Marv

Marv A-List Customer

That pocket photo looks exactly like my ELC 55J14 G1 (based on the L W Foster) from around 2006.

bn1966 likes this.
  6. Marv

Marv A-List Customer

In fact that IS a photo of the pocket of my ELC 55J14 G1 as I have just found the picture so not a W&G pocket flap I'm afraid, sorry.

bn1966 and ButteMT61 like this.
  7. Eastwood

Eastwood New in Town

On these photos it is difficult to see.
    Because the thread on the pocket are slightly visible, and the very similar profile of the pocket flaps -
    - if lining the original , then this L.W.F55J14 ..may be
    - but if the lining was changed then it's more like GF422A because narrow line of pocket flaps ..may be
    Realy it can be anything ;)o_O

8. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Vendor

No. The LW 55J14 flaps were not as deep on the shape. See below. There was some variance also from jacket to jacket so it can be hard to say for sure. But this is what I am referring to:
    Original LW 55J14 pocket: Original WG M422 Flap:
    LW-flap.jpg W&G Flap2.JPG

A definite 100% ID is probably not possible, but we can certainly narrow it down. I don't agree that it could be "anything".

9. Eastwood

Eastwood New in Town

The corners of the pocket flaps of the original Willis Geiger are very rounded. On the photo of the jacket corners of the pocket flaps are pointed.
    Secondly, it seems to me one pocket is more than other, and can see the seam of the thread.

10. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Is there vertucal stitching on the OP left pocket? Looks sort of like it. Can't tell from pics.

11. Eastwood

Eastwood New in Town

I think there is ..o_O and more like GF422A only very modified

12. Marv

Marv A-List Customer

here's the G1 the pocket is from

[​IMG]

Tommy-VF51 likes this.
  13. Eastwood

Eastwood New in Town

not original

14. Marv

Marv A-List Customer

of course it isn't, as mentioned earlier it is my ELC 55J14 G1 from 2006.

15. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Vendor

LW1.jpg
    Yes and here's an original. As you can see the flaps are much more angular than on that repro. The pockets on that repro look much more like a W&G. More rounded and curved like an "M".
    The pockets on the jacket in question in the OP are more like a W&G than this original LW Foster IMO. If we could see the back of the collar and the type of stencil and paint color, it would help to ID it as well.
    Gordon & Ferguson is not likely. The pocket flaps are completely different:
    G&F M422.jpg

16. Sobrien

Sobrien New in Town

It looks a lot like my Star Sportswear 55J14 from the late 40's.

17. pilot error

OK......I bought it. When it arrives I'll take better pictures and we'll see what's what. Along with a Bogen & Tenenbaum AN 6552 !

18. pilot error

Ok.....Here are my somewhat better iPhone pics. Everything has been replaced save for the collar (which needs it). Decent job of reclining . Collar stencil is long gone. Shell and hide are nearly perfect. Sections look virtually new! A 75 year old leather jacket? IMO... this is a G & F M422a in a BIG 44 or a 46[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bn1966, Deacon211 and thor like this.
  19. Eastwood

Eastwood New in Town

Well.. I was right, but you all argued ..;)

20. Eastwood

Eastwood New in Town

Well, where to brag further? I see GF422A - OK :) And where BT AN 6552? How much did pay? It is interesting!:) We try, argue, advise ;)

Last edited: May 20, 2017