Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me accessorize this Outfit!

Lorena B

Practically Family
1029906m.jpg
[/QUOTE]
WOOOWW!! Inky, you need to wear this ones, they are not only gorgeous and go beautifully with your dress but you also will be able to wear them with lots of other outfits.
These are great!!! get them, get them!!!

dgenevieve

Familiar Face
Miss Sis said:
DGenevive, your dress is quite lovely and a great shape on! The brown is very period appropriate and I think it looks very nice with the gold of the dress. I think it would tone beautifully with your brown hair. A peep toe style shoe would be perfect, perhaps in fine nubuck so as not to be too daytime-y and not impossible to get in a vintage shoe - I have seen pairs like this a number of times. Also a small clutch purse in a nubuck or crepe fabric shouldn't be too hard to find. The fur would also look very nice with it.

You could wear black but it seems a bit harsh for the colour of the dress which is quite soft. Personally, I'm not keen on the navy.

A simple bakelite bracelet in gold or green would look good and wouldn't catch on the dress. Don't make the mistake of wearing a diamante one with prongs to catch the fabric! I've done that and ruined a dress. :( If you wear your hair up, wear a great pair of earrings to go with the bracelet.

Thanks, Miss Sis!

I will be very careful to not wear any snagging jewelry with it. That would be too tragic!

My feet are a little too big for vintage shoes, so I have to go with vintage-inspired or just classic styles. :(

As far as brown goes, I'm having kind of a difficult time finding brown evening accessories. (Something just feels odd putting those two words together... brown+evening?) I've had a bit more success finding vintage bags in that color, but for the shoes I may give up and buy "dyeables" to match whatever brown bag I can find. It's a long dress, so they don't have to be show-stopping. Do you think I should aim more for a mid-tone saddle brown, a lighter fawn brown, metallic bronze, or a darker chocolate brown? Here a few bag options I found quickly this morning:

il_430xN.90460701.jpg

il_430xN.89149104.jpg

I agree with you on the black. It feels too harsh for the warm gold. I think darker navy would also look harsh. Tricky... The idea to pair navy blue with the gold came from seeing a few vintage bags using that color combination, like these two blue velvet clutches with golden yellow satin linings:

il_fullxfull.44244509.jpg
A140-29.JPG

But perhaps this color combination would translate badly to the larger scheme of a whole outfit?

[huh]

Inky

One Too Many
I think bronze would be wonderful with this dress - more interesting than just a brown!

I like the leopard idea too, in a small touch like a bracelet or bow detail on the bag or hair. just a bit, maybe in the right shoe.

dgenevieve

Familiar Face
Inky said:
I think bronze would be wonderful with this dress - more interesting than just a brown!

I like the leopard idea too, in a small touch like a bracelet or bow detail on the bag or hair. just a bit, maybe in the right shoe.

I like the bronzes, too! Feels more "evening" than any of the flat browns I was seeing. The leopard print is very cool, I'm just not sure I'm brave enough to pull it off! Plus, it would be difficult to find just the right shade to compliment the dress. Ultimately, I think I'm sold on this pair of shoes:

Screen%20shot%202009-10-18%20at%209.33.21%20PM.png

Rich bronze satin with a vintage-feeling beaded ornament on the toe... don't think it should snag! Love the little gold trim, too. Bonus points for (gold!) leather soles, though they're a little high to do much dancing in, and strictly limited to slow dances and maybe some gentle balboa. ;)

roselily

One of the Regulars
I need som ehelp with this dress I'm hoping to wear to a December wedding. I'll need some sort of wrap with it since it's in Minnesota!

It's hard to see the details- the black on black didn't photograph well. It's a 20's inspired dress - the sash is beaded and the hem is hankerchief.
IMG_1217.jpg
[/IMG]

I'd also like to do something in my hair, maybe a headband. Not sure about anything else, I'm pretty open.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I just ordered the Sweetie dress from Trashy Diva, and I need help picking a color shoes to go with it. I plan to order a pair of Remix wedges for the summer. What do you think, which color shoes? I think white is kind of too boring and I think it's a bit tricky actually, because the wooden buttons and buckle don't really make the choice obvious... To begin with I would probably just wear it with some white Keds, but something more fun would be preferred!

sweetieGREENMUMS1.JPG

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I would go with brown wedges as they would match the warm cream of the dress and the tan of the buttons and not be overpowering. Plus they would be the most versatile of colors for the rest of your wardrobe :)

LD

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
Laura Chase I would go with brown wedges definitely, or at a push I might sneak some red in there to make the colours really pop! But then... I can be a bit of a kook :) x

BoPeep

Practically Family
miserabelle said:
Laura Chase I would go with brown wedges definitely, or at a push I might sneak some red in there to make the colours really pop! But then... I can be a bit of a kook :) x

I must be a kook too! I have a pair of red wedges that I wear as often as possible! Red would definitely set off this dress if you can pull in red jewelry or a cardigan or something else besides the shoes. Otherwise tan/brown would be cute albeit conservative.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think if you are gonna do red, make it a more earth toned red. Like a brick or a rust color. The dress is a natural colored palette, so stick to any color like that, (an robin's egg blue, olive green, rust, browns etc) and I think it would work.

Sorry, color theory nerd :)

LD

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dgenevieve said:
Hello, ladies! I'm here to humbly request some advice on accesorizing this lovely golden yellow DuBarry evening gown I just bought (more pics and details over on this thread):

Ds40syellowdress1.jpg
_dsc0419_1.jpg

I have a dearth of "evening" accessories, but this dress is too special to be paired with my day accessories. My first thought was brown, though I tend to avoid brown anything because my hair is brown and I just don't like it that much. But I'm suspecting that yellow with brown is a period-appropriate color combination?

t_1305.jpg

Not to offend anyone who is anti-fur, but because this dress is rather plain up top (a high v-neck if you can't tell from the photos), it practically screams for something like in the photo above. It's difficult to find brown evening-appropriate shoes (the peeptoes above are actually disco-era). If I were terribly brave, I'd wear the leopard-print pair! ;)

My next thought is navy blue, perhaps even black:

Screen%20shot%202009-10-16%20at%206.28.26%20PM.png

I nixed anything with jewels or embellishments on the toe, as I don't want to snag the vintage rayon. Also avoiding white/ivory as I worry that it would be too... bridal. Bonus points if the heel/sole is danceable. ;)

Also.... Gloves? Hats? Purses? Matching is most period-correct, but I'm willing to fudge a little bit.

As for jewelry, I have an art-deco-style dress clip that I think would look lovely in the notch of the high v-neck, but I don't know! I've only ever seen dress clips in the notches of a sweetheart neckline, or in the lapels of a coat. Depending on whether I'm wearing gloves or no, a bracelet? I think a necklace of any kind would interfere with the neckline, but I could be convinced otherwise!

My inspiration is Barbara Stanwick as Eugenia/Jean (vs. her Eve character) in The Lady Eve (1941):

leve1.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help!
Hello Mrs. Stokes!
I missed this way back when you posted it. But I think GOLD! Metallic gold kid shoes and bag (which you will wear over and over with many outfits), and fabulous golden/rhinestone jewels (the jewelry will carry the color accent).
I also stay away from prong set jewels, but the pave kind are much kinder to fabrics. However, I only have trouble with the prongs when wearing a rough or nubby or fuzzy fabric, never with a smooth fabric like that rayon. Worry not.
And yes, the dress clip can go there, it seems perfect for it! I always wear one on a pointed neckline. And when you lose one of a pair, you can still wear the remaining orphan.
It's a fabulous dress!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Laura Chase said:
I just ordered the Sweetie dress from Trashy Diva, and I need help picking a color shoes to go with it. I plan to order a pair of Remix wedges for the summer. What do you think, which color shoes? I think white is kind of too boring and I think it's a bit tricky actually, because the wooden buttons and buckle don't really make the choice obvious... To begin with I would probably just wear it with some white Keds, but something more fun would be preferred!

sweetieGREENMUMS1.JPG

Oh, can't wait to hear what you think of it. It's on my wishlist and I have even started mentally accessorizing it. For shoes I was thinking these:http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urba...OES_HEELSWEDGES&popId=WOMENS_SHOES&prepushId= in cognac, which you have to click to see

and multiples of these bangles in ivory and peach, perhaps even a ring.
http://mybabyjo.com/jewelry/cravedrose_lg.jpg

I also like the idea of pairing it with shades of pumpkin, or mustard. Although, I know those aren't the easiest shades for everyone to pull off.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I can certainly see why you ladies think tan, brown, mustard, brick - warm colors. Thank you! :)

It will be interesting to see if this dress will look good on me since I normally don't wear clothes where tan or brown shoes would be good. In other words, I normally go for colors that pop, since I'm pale skinned and dark haired. But I can also pull off warm colors so it doesn't worry me too much. What would worry me would be buying expensive brown Remix wedges and only being able to pair them with this dress because colors complimentary with brown certainly do not dominate my wardrobe. :)

How do you like the idea of changing the wooden buttons and buckle? Yes or no? I would like to change them into a green color, a darker green that would compliment the green of the dress... It would make it kind of more tone-in-tone which I think would be beautiful with the busy pattern.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Laura Chase said:
I can certainly see why you ladies think tan, brown, mustard, brick - warm colors. Thank you! :)

It will be interesting to see if this dress will look good on me since I normally don't wear clothes where tan or brown shoes would be good. In other words, I normally go for colors that pop, since I'm pale skinned and dark haired. But I can also pull off warm colors so it doesn't worry me too much. What would worry me would be buying expensive brown Remix wedges and only being able to pair them with this dress because colors complimentary with brown certainly do not dominate my wardrobe. :)

How do you like the idea of changing the wooden buttons and buckle? Yes or no? I would like to change them into a green color, a darker green that would compliment the green of the dress... It would make it kind of more tone-in-tone which I think would be beautiful with the busy pattern.

Oh, that dress is adorable! I've had my eye on that green & white line of dresses on Trashy Diva but wasn't sure about fit and fabric. Now I'm sort of green & white with envy! :D

Love your idea of switching the wooden buttons and belt buckle with green ones. There are several places in town that have lots of vintage and bakelite buttons, too.

As far as shoes, what do you think of these?
L12113225.jpg
Depending on the shade, they might work with that green and you wouldn't look like a Christmas ornament. If I recall correctly, you said your foot was wide? These are by Sofft and that company makes wide shoes.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Lily Powers said:
Oh, that dress is adorable! I've had my eye on that green & white line of dresses on Trashy Diva but wasn't sure about fit and fabric. Now I'm sort of green & white with envy! :D

Love your idea of switching the wooden buttons and belt buckle with green ones. There are several places in town that have lots of vintage and bakelite buttons, too.

As far as shoes, what do you think of these?
L12113225.jpg
Depending on the shade, they might work with that green and you wouldn't look like a Christmas ornament. If I recall correctly, you said your foot was wide? These are by Sofft and that company makes wide shoes.

I'm glad you're in support of the idea of changing the buttons, as everyone else seems to love the wooden buttons. They are pretty but they make the accessorizing a bit difficult because they just doesn't fit my palette. But I will have to see once the dress arrives, and you should also come and see it and maybe you will like it enough to buy one! :) And we can go button hunting.

As for shoes, I like those and I should check Sofft out if they make wide shoes. But for this dress I want some comfortable wedges. :) I like the red, though.

Bombshell Becca

One of the Regulars
ssc2.jpg

I am wearing this dress in a Vintage inspired wedding on the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA at the end of March. The bride left it up to me to find black shoes ( she thinks black satin would work best) I am also wearing vintage red gloves, black seamed stockings, a kind of birdcage black veil with a red bow & a vintage rhinestone necklace .

Any suggestions for shoes? The wedding is rather last minute (they only set the date about 3 weeks ago)

Also, I am finding shoes that would work but they are peep toe, how do you feel about peep toe with stockings?

Inky

One Too Many
Bombshell Becca said:
Also, I am finding shoes that would work but they are peep toe, how do you feel about peep toe with stockings?

I personally don't mind a peep toe with stockings as long as it's not beige stockings with black seams/feet - that is not a good look in my opinion.
Do you have any heel height, cost or other preferences?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart