Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me accessorize this Outfit!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Inky said:
Don't you love it when all the planning makes perfection!

I know! I literally finished the belt to a wearable state 2 seconds before we walked out the door! It's not perfect, but I'll have more time to add the finishing touches later.

Thanks for your compliments, everyone!

Emer

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
DSCF2470.jpg

Great dress--do you have any full length pictures from the wedding so we can see how everything looked put together?

texasgirl

One Too Many
So I've tried both brown and black accessories with this purple dress and I like both! We are actually doing a 2-part reenactment/skit at the show. The first one I need to wear the coat, so I'm thinking the black. And then for the 2nd part I thought I'd take off the black and throw on the brown. Think that would work?

BROWN
outfits016.jpg

BLACK
outfits031.jpg

With the coat, and I have a black fur muff too
outfits036.jpg

zendy

A-List Customer
I really like the black accessories. I think it makes the purple pop. The brown goes well, but doesn't have that 'wow' effect.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Oh is this for the Dillinger thing in Mason City? You look fabulous! I have to admit - I really like the black - but it may be that I am in love with the hat on you.

I won't be able to make it this year either - take lots of pics!

texasgirl

One Too Many
Thanks girls! Yes, it's for the Dillinger show on Saturday. Hopefully the weather will be nice and cool for wearing the coat.

Antje

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Before this wedding, the bride seriously owned one dress. She always seems sort of awkward. We couldn't imagine what she would look like, but she was lovely. Strapless white dress with a red sash and a big bow in the back. The tails of the bow snapped to her dress to keep the beaded design on the tails displayed. She wore a simple skimmer veil and a string of pearls. Groom wore a red vest, cummerbund and tie, bridesmaids had black dresses with red roses in their hair, flowers were red roses and white lilies. Quite simple, and very lovely.

DSCF2479.jpg

I like the shorter dress length much better, and the matching belt really did work well.
DSCF2485.jpg

I went with a single strand of pearls, a single strand bracelet and small, plain stud earrings, so that my jewelry wouldn't overwhelm. I thought the gloves looked nice and I've never worn gloves before. I had a short sleeved white knit shrug that I wore in the church.

Made a clip out of the silk anemone I found, and then tucked sprigs of matching silk hydrangea on either side. More hairstyle pictures will appear in a more appropriate thread.
DSCF2483.jpg

Kitty you look amazing,
You did a great job on getting al things togheter

Inky

One Too Many
Alright ladies, I need help again!

I purchased this black cocktail dress recently in anticipation of this year's holiday party for my husband's job.

3993487483_b39d0d4d43_o.jpg

I am stumped as to what shoes to wear with it and none of my 40's wedges look good. I need something comfortable but that will look good with the dress.

The dress is also missing it's belt - I was thinking of trying to make one or shall I leave it off? I'd try it on for you but I also need (finally!) the proper undergarments to make this dress look just right. Sigh. Girdles here I come.

Okay, shoe suggestions needed, please! I wear a 10 (sometimes an 11) with a pudgy foot.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Inky said:
Alright ladies, I need help again!

I am stumped as to what shoes to wear with it and none of my 40's wedges look good. I need something comfortable but that will look good with the dress.

I think any of these black pumps (which can also be gray to match the grey on the collar and sleeves) would look good and be comfortable, which is what you are looking for!
Hope that helps. :)

basicblackpumps.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
HadleyH said:
I think any of these black pumps (which can also be gray to match the grey on the collar and sleeves) would look good and be comfortable, which is what you are looking for!
Hope that helps. :)
[/IMG]

i do like a nice pump but that seems to make the dress frumpy (and it is so sedate to begin with) when I tried it on with my black pumps. If I had a hat I'd be channeling Queen Elizabeth ;)

How about these (not so comfy but i'm willing to negotiate that)

1029906m.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
Bombshell Becca said:
I love those shoes with that dress Inky. Especially how they have a silver/gray detail just like the dress. Where did you find them?

Thanks Becca, I think I like them too. I don't have them yet but they are Betsey Johnson "Fanatic" and I"m on the hunt for them now! At least those I'd wear again not just for a party.

Bombshell Becca

One of the Regulars
It figures they are Betsey Johnson. A lot of her stuff has a vintage quality to them. I think she had some purses with pinup style girls on them too. I have found a lot of her stuff at Nordstrom Rack.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Inky said:
i do like a nice pump but that seems to make the dress frumpy (and it is so sedate to begin with) when I tried it on with my black pumps. If I had a hat I'd be channeling Queen Elizabeth ;)

1029906m.jpg

You better get these... *menaces with fist*

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Inky said:

1029906m.jpg

Since you said you wanted something comfortable the first thing I thought of was a pump shoe, but now that you have changed your mind, the sky is the limit! ;)

Those are very nice shoes! I think they will look great with your dress! :D

Inky

One Too Many
HadleyH said:
Since you said you wanted something comfortable the first thing I thought of was a pump shoe, but now that you have changed your mind, the sky is the limit! ;)

Those are very nice shoes! I think they will look great with your dress! :D

Thank you Hadley - I do think a pump is fine with the dress and that was my first thought - but I guess I need to amp it up a little bit since it's sooooooo sedate.

dgenevieve

Familiar Face
Hello, ladies! I'm here to humbly request some advice on accesorizing this lovely golden yellow DuBarry evening gown I just bought (more pics and details over on this thread):

Ds40syellowdress1.jpg
_dsc0419_1.jpg

I have a dearth of "evening" accessories, but this dress is too special to be paired with my day accessories. My first thought was brown, though I tend to avoid brown anything because my hair is brown and I just don't like it that much. But I'm suspecting that yellow with brown is a period-appropriate color combination?

t_1305.jpg

Not to offend anyone who is anti-fur, but because this dress is rather plain up top (a high v-neck if you can't tell from the photos), it practically screams for something like in the photo above. It's difficult to find brown evening-appropriate shoes (the peeptoes above are actually disco-era). If I were terribly brave, I'd wear the leopard-print pair! ;)

My next thought is navy blue, perhaps even black:

Screen%20shot%202009-10-16%20at%206.28.26%20PM.png

I nixed anything with jewels or embellishments on the toe, as I don't want to snag the vintage rayon. Also avoiding white/ivory as I worry that it would be too... bridal. Bonus points if the heel/sole is danceable. ;)

Also.... Gloves? Hats? Purses? Matching is most period-correct, but I'm willing to fudge a little bit.

As for jewelry, I have an art-deco-style dress clip that I think would look lovely in the notch of the high v-neck, but I don't know! I've only ever seen dress clips in the notches of a sweetheart neckline, or in the lapels of a coat. Depending on whether I'm wearing gloves or no, a bracelet? I think a necklace of any kind would interfere with the neckline, but I could be convinced otherwise!

My inspiration is Barbara Stanwick as Eugenia/Jean (vs. her Eve character) in The Lady Eve (1941):

leve1.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
DGenevive, your dress is quite lovely and a great shape on! The brown is very period appropriate and I think it looks very nice with the gold of the dress. I think it would tone beautifully with your brown hair. A peep toe style shoe would be perfect, perhaps in fine nubuck so as not to be too daytime-y and not impossible to get in a vintage shoe - I have seen pairs like this a number of times. Also a small clutch purse in a nubuck or crepe fabric shouldn't be too hard to find. The fur would also look very nice with it.

You could wear black but it seems a bit harsh for the colour of the dress which is quite soft. Personally, I'm not keen on the navy.

A simple bakelite bracelet in gold or green would look good and wouldn't catch on the dress. Don't make the mistake of wearing a diamante one with prongs to catch the fabric! I've done that and ruined a dress. :( If you wear your hair up, wear a great pair of earrings to go with the bracelet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart