Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me accessorize this Outfit!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Inky and LadyDay. I enjoy wearing stockings and I usually wear them when we go to a dance, so that isn't a problem. This one is indoors with air conditioning, so I'll probably need them as they usually keep it fairly chilly to keep all the dancers and those in wool military uniforms comfortable.

Now, if it were an outdoor event in July or August, I'd choose differently!

Viola, I will definitely be wearing the red manicure and pedicure. If I have time before the dance, I'm going to attempt the "moon manicure." We'll see how that works out for me. lol

Lily Powers

Practically Family
fortworthgal said:
One question - do you wear stockings with wedges, or no?

I know espadrilles are stocking-free, but since these are patent I'm wondering what the consensus is...

Stockings not only make the leg smooth, but also the back of your ankle, so the slingback strap has nothing to grip and slips off more easily than if you wear it with bare legs. If you are dancing, it could be a real nuisance.

texasgirl

One Too Many
So I decided to go with the white hat with blue flowers. The red was just too much. The blue was just not the right style. Anyway, thanks for the help- and ignore the look on my face-lol.

This dress ended up being pretty neat. It wraps around the back, like a Swirl. But I think it's rayon.

102_3887.jpg

SayCici

Practically Family
How should I wear this?

3710606817_6d83bae243.jpg

I'll try to get a better picture of it, but for now, I'm wondering how to wear the dress on the right! I don't know if that's the right name for it - where you see the buttons it fastens, and there's a hook and eye right below them at the waist, but otherwise it's open below (and above) and I just don't have the right dress to wear beneath it! Especially because most of my dresses have collars and it looks weird since it does as well. How would a woman in the 40s have worn this?

Any suggestions?

I don't need accessories, I need the dress or skirt itself! I haven't seen this kind of thing in patterns or any 40s fashion images.

SayCici

Practically Family
Inky said:
that's very pretty! and the drawing even looks like you! now you need to make up a sweet floral dress for underneath!
Haha! I've been thinking I'll just have to make something to go with it - might as well get a hat like that too. ;)

zendy

A-List Customer
Oh Woah! It does look like you! I say go for the whole look hat included, you'll look adorable.

Inky

One Too Many
I recently purchased a black and silver squaw/patio dress. The fabric is true black, a sheer crinkly cotton) and the trim is all silver/silver and black. At one point it came with a belt and because it is a little bit short waisted on me, I definitely need to wear a belt with it.

3875826190_ca4fdd230c.jpg

These are my 3 choices I have on hand. A black (really a black brownish color) belt, a thin black belt and a quilted semi-shiny belt.

3875038065_63bd8d2e63.jpg

I'm not thrilled with any of these, though right now I like the 3rd one because it looks good due to being a wide belt.

Can someone lead me to a good style of belt for this dress or should I make one in a similar colored black cotton fabric with a black vintage buckle? (i have a few round ones on hand.)

I will wear the dress with a soft and not too poofy petticoat, and my black hand-tooled wedge sandals.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Help me out here ladies! I'm going to a wedding this Saturday and am caught woefully unprepared - I thought it was several weeks from now :-(

the dress: lightweight white cotton with lavendar polka dots and a 3 layer petal bust. Please excuse my poor posture and the lack of proper shapewear under this thing!
DSCF2470.jpg

first question: to shorten or not? I was looking for a petticoat on ebay and just wasn't sure how full or how short. The skirt is circular, but not gathered, so i can't go too full. I am wearing a single layer pleated petticoat under it in this picture. I can leave this length, shorten to just below the knee and shorten my own petticoat, buy a new one that's a bit fuller...??

second question: belt! If I shorten the dress, I can make my own matching belt with the leftover fabric, assuming that I win the belt kits that I want! Otherwise, white it is. What will look best?

third question: shoes! I have these white ones:
DSCF2476.jpg

They aren't in the best shape, but no one will notice. It's an outdoor wedding, so I'm afraid they may get dirty, but at least they have a heel that won't sink. I have a matching white purse. I'm concerned about TOO much white though.

and these:
DSCF2472.jpg

DSCF2473.jpg

They obviously aren't 50s and nothing too fancy, but they ARE comfy. I can easily remove the froufy ornamentation and wear them plain. This requires borrowing a lucite purse, but can be done.

I have so many options, but I really want what will look best!

Jewelry: more options here! Clear lucite beads (necklace, bracelets, earrings) are one option. Pearl bracelet and stud earrings are another. I have a single strand of regular-sized pearls that I can wear, or maybe it would look more striking without? I can also easily acquire a vintage choker-length strand of large, fake ones.

ARGH! Please help me assemble the prettiest, most accurate and ladylike ensemble possible!*

*In other words, my fella's trashy soon-to-be ex-wife is going to be there, and I'd really like to look and feel my best.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
KittyT said:
ARGH! Please help me assemble the prettiest, most accurate and ladylike ensemble possible!*

*In other words, my fella's trashy soon-to-be ex-wife is going to be there, and I'd really like to look and feel my best.

Well, you HAVE to be showstoppingly awesome then.

I say if you are comfortable with it, shorten the dress, about mid calf would be good. That way you can make your belt.

I like the first pair of shooz better then the second, but you said the second were comfy, so...

Are you opposed to a hat? One of those diva lovely straw numbers (white) with lovely lavender flowers and a white shawl would be killer!

LD

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
1. Shorten.
2. Leftover belt.
3. Either. If you go with the lucite, maybe a gold purse would go with it.
4. Yes on the necklace.
5. I like the hat idea. Maybe a natural color straw would help keep the outfit from being too white.

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
KittyT said:
Help me out here ladies! I'm going to a wedding this Saturday and am caught woefully unprepared - I thought it was several weeks from now :-(

the dress: lightweight white cotton with lavendar polka dots and a 3 layer petal bust. Please excuse my poor posture and the lack of proper shapewear under this thing!
DSCF2470.jpg

I love this dress. It is amazing! I actually wouldn't change a thing with it. I would just wear the white shoes, rock a white clutch with it, and maybe some short white gloves.

roselily

One of the Regulars
GlamourDoll said:
KittyT said:

DSCF2470.jpg

I love this dress. It is amazing! I actually wouldn't change a thing with it. I would just wear the white shoes, rock a white clutch with it, and maybe some short white gloves.

I like it as is, and I like the hat and gloves idea. A little wrap that you can tuck in your purse is always nice since weather can be unpredictable. I like the white shoes the best, and I don't think I'd wear a belt. I'm not a huge fan of necklaces with strapless dresses- some earrings would be enough, I think.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
I say if you are comfortable with it, shorten the dress, about mid calf would be good. That way you can make your belt.

Thanks, LD. Do you think the petticoat I have is full enough?

Are you opposed to a hat? One of those diva lovely straw numbers (white) with lovely lavender flowers and a white shawl would be killer!

I'm not opposed to a hat, but I never wear them and don't own any, so I would have to be able to acquire one between now and then. I also don't know how to do my hair for hats at all! I've found some lavendar flowers that will look nice with an up-do. I'd love a white shawl, but again would have to get one. I have a gorgeous ecru/off-white one that was my grandmothers, although I don't know if it would work. I do have very crisp white gloves that might be lovely.

Thanks everyone for your input! It's so hard though when everyone feels differently :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Whatever you are wearing beneath the dress in the pic is fine. The hem might flare out a bit more once its shortened making it look fuller :)

Hmmm, so working with what you have...

You -could- get a couple yards (40-60" square) of white handkerchief linen, and folding it on the diagonal whip up a cover that way. It will be sheer, breathable and comfortable to wear or throw around.

If you cant do the hat, then flowers in the hair are a must.

Id say with that neck line, you dont need a necklace but Im not very pro necklace, so my opinion is bias.

LD

Miss Sis

One Too Many
SayCici said:

This is a sort of redingote style, which is interesting as they were popular late 30s, rather than in the 40s. I think it is quite different to the illustration you posted, and I'd suggest a plain contrasting colour underneath.

I can't tell from the photo if it's black or navy, but if it's black, shocking pink or emerald green would look good or if it's navy, how about pale blue? (I notice you like blue alot) I would just make a sort of slip/ petticoat style dress with a round neckline in a heavy enough fabric that it isn't see-through, as a real slip would be.

Alternatively, a good print would work but I don't think a floral, unless it is quite bold or abstract.

SayCici

Practically Family
Miss Sis - thank you! And you could definitely be right about the year. It's different from the illustration in that it doesn't close around the neck, but similar around the bust and waist. It's navy and, haha, yes I do seem to wear a lot of blue! Do you think the dress underneath should have a full-ish skirt? Would cotton be too hum-drum?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
No, I wouldn't go for a full skirt - keep the lines of the late 30s/Early 40s in skirt width or I feel that would spoil the line.

As to fabric, is the redingote a sort of crepe? If so then cotton would probably 'grab' alot, so something a bit more silky might be in order. You could make a couple of different 'slips' to go under it to change the look in whatever colours suit you best.

I personally like maroon or rust with navy, but I don't think these are so much your sort of colours. Red would also look good. It needs a good contrast to really stand out.

Vanessa

One Too Many
KittyT said:

DSCF2470.jpg

Don't shorten! Put down the scissors! I'm sure you could easily find a matching grosgrain or silk ribbon in the lavender or white for a belt.

I like the white net shoes over the clear plastic ones. (Those scream evening to me). For a more summery look, you could wear espadrilles with a touch of white in them. Pretty sure Payless & DSW have lots of options for those right now.

I vote for the pearl necklace with pearl studs & bracelet. Pearls are your go-to jewelry choice for day or night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn