Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me accessorize this Outfit!

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
HadleyH said:
MissAmelina, i think this type of skirt in tweed would look absolutely amazing with your sweater!

AAAAAuAdDW0AAAAAABMZuA.jpg

Ooooohhh...that's cute. I will go on a pattern hunt....I have one that is 30's style with the kick pleats/godets a little lower than your photo suggests. I usually like longer skirts that hit mid-calf, but this style could still work for that. I shall investigate....Thanks for the suggestions!

roselily

One of the Regulars
Suggest me some shoes?

We're ordering this dress (but in floor length). It seems very vintage-inspired to me, and we're trying to decide on a shoe. Any suggestions? ( The dress is going to be a deep purple, and she hasn't decided on the ribbon color yet. I'm thinking maybe a silver shoe?)

Jasmine_6109.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Silver would be swell

and typical of the evening look of the Golden Era. Same color - dyed to match shoes are A kind of boring, and B you can't wear them with anything else.

Unless the ladies wearing them are very slender, i would keep the ribbon the same color as the dress - a horizontal line at the waist in a contrasting color looks bad in the photos.

roselily

One of the Regulars
Yes, we're not considering dyeing shoes- they are usually awful shoes to begin with!

Any suggestions on style? The only ones I have found that I like so far are these Capezio ballroom shoes, and you can't wear those outside (suede sole).

BR08silver.jpg

Miss 1929

You can have an outdoor sole applied over suede ones for not too much $$$, I do it all the time as dance shoes are so great!

And if so, do check out Tara Tango shoes - not only are they gorgeous, but comfy!
www.22tangoshoes.com

Like this...sorry about the huge picture, it is how it is on their site! All their shoes come in a selection of different heel heights, too.

celosmetallowproduct.jpg

crazydaisy

Practically Family
3398167629_b78cbef21e.jpg

3398167629_b78cbef21e_b.jpg

This is what I might wear if I decide to change into something else than my wedding dress for the after party. Try to ignore the fact the dress is huge - will be altered - and the bag (not gonna go for that, nor that color scheme, as it makes me look old) and also ignore the hat if you can - it was not meant to be worn with this and anyway has been returned meantime as I decided it looked more Rio than...err...anything else lol and because it received bad feedback from my friends in spite of me thinking it was really cool ... you can see now I did not choose my id name for nothing.

All that being said, I would really appreciate some help with finding some proper accessories that will make this dress (new) look more vintage. I have thought about it for ages and I feel completely defeated.

In terms of bag and shoes I'm thinking nude - it's pretty much the only option I've got left - but find it hard to get the right nude: not to cream, not too gold, not too beige and not too pink :p The ones I've got on in the photo were cream to champagne and I didn't think they were right. I was thinking to match the orangey coral of the dress, but even if that was possible, it might look bad....:( Then I thought orange-red, since I tried an orangey-red lipstick on with the dress and thought it was nice and added some depth of color, but it might be too much. In fact, might be kind of :eek: And anyway what style? I have big ankles so can't indulge in ankle straps, yet I will be dancing a lot in them, so they have to be comfy and secure. And I need the height, so I would like a platform but a light one. And preferably want my heels not exposed, because I step a bit on the inside of the shoe and it's visible in slingbacks. And they have to look vintage!

I'm also clueless about the bag. I've got a clutch type thingy whose color is the right nude but the shape is wrong. Probably I need more of an unstructured shape, to go with the dress?

The worst bit is the jewelery. I have tried sparkly costume bits next to this dress and they look dull because the dress itself is fully covered in sequins and very sparkly. Initially didn't wanna go with a necklace at all considering how busy the dress is but then I feel really bare. Got a coral necklace, and wrapped twice around the neck and knotted looks rather nice. When I add corral earrings, even though they are small, I've killed it!

Please please help!!!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
okay, here is my very biased opinion...

Hi Crazydaisy! Great dress! I have 11 or 13 (I've lost count) full length evening gowns (I'm a social ballroom dancer), many are vintage inspired. Here is a pic of my all pink sequined one, with a similar draped cowl neckline to yours:
359377312.jpg
Trust me, I know what I'm doing and I'm here to help...;)

I'm going to go head to feet here.

NO hat or feather hair thing please. A pretty comb pulling one side of your hair away from your face could be most attractive. Are you doing an updo? A partial updo even with some curls hanging down in back might be nice, to show off your pretty face:).

Don't forget pretty faux clear crystal earrings or C.Z. but I'd advise NOT long or chandelier type, they will be overwhelming with the dress style and the sequin material. By going with something that is a post type sitting on or up near your ears, it will bring attention and accent your face and won't take away from the lovely gown either. Example of smallish earrings I wear with this dress. Made myself from supplies I got at the bead shop.
359377600.jpg

I never wear a necklace with this pink long dress or most of my others. It can draw the attention away from your face and the dress. Is you really want to wear a necklace, keep it small and simple and make sure the style, material used and shape doesn't conflict with the dress neckline.

Go easy on a bracelet, consider a simple rhinestone stretch one (see photo). Make sure whatever you choose bracelet-wise won't end up snagging or catching on the dress. Been there done that, not good. You could even wear a pretty watch if you have one but not one with a leather band.

Are you going to wear long white gloves? I almost always do with long gowns, day or evening. Try just above the elbow, NOT mid upper arm (called opera length).

I'd stick with a simple small evening bag, maybe white or silver beaded or a goldtone metal clamshell type with no handle. You want to carry the purse clutched in your hand, not by a chain or strap hanging off your wrist. A small size that you can just get your driver's license, lipstick, and a few bills and your keys into is all you need.

Do wear hosiery under the dress. No underwear, and especially not a thong. A Spanx or faux Spanx or Donna Karan type that come up under the bust line is good to create a smooth unbroken line from bust to thigh. Regular pantyhose will usually make a demarcation line visible at the waist area. If you can get reinforced toe all the better, if open toe shoes are worn, you'll tear them the toes of the hose by the end of the day.

Your dress length: hm... be careful, its really long. Keep in mind when dancing you MAY end up tripping or stepping on the dress or your dance partner might. I've had to have dresses made shorter due to them being too long. You cannot do that with this one of course, but very high heels to accommodate the length may be hard on your feet, too uncomfortable to dance in, and/or hard to walk gracefully in. My own wedding gown was hemmed shorter just for this reason. I wore satin ballet type slipper flats for the ceremony and changed into ballroom shoes for the reception.

Lastly, shoes. If you are going to be dancing, maybe try a pair of nude ballroom shoes. GoGo Dancer has many styles in nude, and they are not expensive. They are what I and my daughter both wear, and they are comfortable enough to wear as regular shoes when not dancing too. They look vintage inspired and go well with long gowns. Don't choose colored or gold or silver shoes, it will be disruptive to the look of the dress, and people's eyes will focus on your colorful fancy shoes, not the pretty chiffon inserts at the hem of the dress. Check beforehand to make sure any any little buckle on the strap doesn't catch on your dress. Otherwise choose a pump style shoe.

crazydaisy said:
3398167629_b78cbef21e.jpg

3398167629_b78cbef21e_b.jpg

This is what I might wear if I decide to change into something else than my wedding dress for the after party.

Please please help!!!

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Thank you, chanteuseCarey, for all your advice!

I'm glad you agree nude shoes are the best option, and I'll check the make you mentioned.

The dress will be made shorter, by shortening a bit the straps. As I said It needs a lot of adjusting, it actually needs to be re sized and made 3-4 sizes smaller.

And fear not, I wasn't going to wear anything feathery with it, but it's the only photo I had from when I tried them on together. I'll post a photo with my hair done in some fashion and that necklace I thought about wearing but I'm not sure.

Wasn't going to wear a bracelet, and gloves are a nice idea!

The nude bag I have is a clutch and totally wrong with the dress - as are all the things in this picture:( - but maybe the clutch is wrong because is too big.

Hmm, I just hope I don't end up by hating this dress by the time I'll have to wear it...

jacqueline101

New in Town
not to sound too personal

On your red dress you wear at night. I think a pair of black sheer old fashion cuban hose would look nice with it. I found a pair on a website that has adult toy items and so fourth. I was looking for some and these are very reasonable and the sad thing is they are not vintage.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
you said here the dress is 3-4 sizes too big...

Hope you don't mind my asking- did you buy it this big originally?? Or was it yours from before and you lost weight or something? Is it really worth all the re-altering $$ wise- especially with all the sequins- that is quite a bit to have to be made smaller.You're basically having to cut away a lot of this dress to re-size it to fit you. If you are not extremely sentimentally attached to this particular dress, I'd almost say it not worth it for suing it as an after the wedding dress. You will have enough to do girlfriend with all the wedding stuff already.Taking this on too is quite a bit... JMHO...

I say this only because my DH and I fell for a great vintage 3 piece suit for him, but it would have required so much $$ in alterations that the vintage dealer suggested that we not keep it after all. We traded it for a different vintage 2 piece suit that fit perfect and got an additional pair of vintage pants and a vintage shirt to make up the price difference.

crazydaisy said:
Thank you, chanteuseCarey, for all your advice!

The dress will be made shorter, by shortening a bit the straps. As I said It needs a lot of adjusting, it actually needs to be re sized and made 3-4 sizes smaller.

Hmm, I just hope I don't end up by hating this dress by the time I'll have to wear it...

crazydaisy

Practically Family
I was a size 36 and the dress was marked size 40-24 when I bought it, however there is no way somebody that size can get into it. I would say is a true size 38. But meantime I dropped a size to 34, so that makes now the size difference of about 2 sizes (or 3-4 if you want to take in consideration what the label says). Hope this is clear now. I really want to go back up a size to my normal being, as otherwise won't look good in any dress on earth.

As for whether it's worth altering this one, I know what you mean when you say it is a big job that I could do without, but I'll retain the privilege to be the judge of that. This dress is beautiful, a great color on me, and something that I couldn't afford other than in a sale, which is how I acquired it, in the only size in which it was available. Surely would have been great it it was right in my size and fitted perfectly! Yet when you are a 34 (and in Britain, not France!) very few things do. So I will make it work.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Actually, I think gold accessories would work very nicely with this dress.

About altering it - isn't this dress cut on the bias? Won't it have to be basically cut apart and remade? Before you get too set in the idea of wearing it I'd verify that it can be done.

Miss 1929

I like gold, or silver.

I hate nude color shoes myself, unless the whole outfit is beige - they just look so bland. Gold or silver is still wearable with everything and you will find more selection!

Do you have a particular era in mind here? The dress cries out early 30s, so if that is the case, I agree with all of ChanteuseCarey's points, except for the hair... if you are going for an early 30s look you have to wear your hair up, it will not look right down. If you are going for a more late 30s/40s look, the dress is going to be a bit early but most people won't know the difference.

And of course, if you are just going for pretty and not worrying about an era, wear it however it best suits you! Maybe a gardenia or an orchid in your hair.

Less jewelry is more! People who know me would be shocked to hear me, the queen of matched sets, say so, but you don't need much with that glitzy a dress. Earrings and a bracelet are plenty. But when picking a bracelet, make sure it doesn't have prong settings or it will snag the hell out of the beading on the dress. If you do wear your hair up, you can wear long earrings, if not, long earrings look messy with long hair.

Hope this is at all helpful!

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Do you have a particular era in mind here? The dress cries out early 30s, so if that is the case, I agree with all of ChanteuseCarey's points, except for the hair... if you are going for an early 30s look you have to wear your hair up, it will not look right down. If you are going for a more late 30s/40s look, the dress is going to be a bit early but most people won't know the difference.

And of course, if you are just going for pretty and not worrying about an era, wear it however it best suits you! Maybe a gardenia or an orchid in your hair.

lol This expresses my thoughts exactly, in terms of the look I am going for. I haven't quite made my mind, because I am scared I won't find anybody where I'm going (overseas wedding) able to do finger waves, and I can't do them myself either :( - I tought it would look nice to have the top of the head finger waved and the rest of the hair in a bun at the base of the neck on the side. The only other problem with that is that my head is small and my shoulder narrow and skinny. If I don't put on some weight it will look bad. Mind you if it will be that bad I shouldn't/won't ?! wear the dress at all.:( Anyway, the idea is that wearing the hair down hides a bit the skinniness. :eusa_doh: in which case I might wear it down with a flower on the side, like you said. I would have liked though something to look more accurate, especially as my outfit - so far- is not vintage, only vintage inspired. But yeah, people won't know the difference, especially my guests, who I am making to come in vintage inspired attire too, and they all hate me for it! lol

Laura Chase

One Too Many
crazydaisy, you look beautiful and with that gorgeous swan neck of yours, it will look so elegant with your hair in an up-do. :)

What does the dress look like in the back?

It's difficult to see from the photo whether the sequins are more of a golden or silver tone, but I would choose shoes to match that. If they are red, then it's up to you. However, the red does look quite warm (if the photo is color-true), so golden might be best, but take the dress with you when you go shopping and put a pair of silver and golden shoes next to it, and it should be obvious which one you like the best.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
The dress is orange, and a coral-orange.
But depends a lot on the light too, it looks pinker orange in day /natural light and warmer in artificial light.

:eek:fftopic: personally I like it combined with pink, kinda sweeties pink, but that would be soo 80's, which is a no-no as is not the look I am going for, I just like thet sort of color combination, is the prozac of the colors lol !

The gold versus silver dilemma is a real toughie in this case, generally can wear both and look great in neither (funny tone skin that is), probably better silver than gold, however trying things with this particular dress it seems to make silver look gray and gold look dirty. :(
I was looking perhaps at a combination, for ex. I have seen this bracelet made of moonstones set in gold - very neutral looking color wise - shame the price wasn't anywhere near neutral, at 650 pounds! that was pretty shocking.

To answer the question about the back of the dress: it is a low back. I actually wanted to bring this up because I need to get some sort of undergarment to wear with it and I am pretty clueless as to what to buy and desperately need something that will do the combined jobs of offering some kind of breasts look lol at the front (32b) while giving me that low back at the same time. :eusa_doh: That ain't gonna be easy.

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Help me with with this fab skirt!

Ok ladies, I have had this skirt for about a year and have yet to wear it. I can't let it go though, I just love it. It has such a great deco pocket and the fabric is amazing. I can't seem to find a blouse to go with it. I was thinking green or yellow, but I just cant find a thing that I feel like would go. Also, I feel like if I tuck in a blouse it needs a belt to keep it in place, but it doesn't have loops for one. Sorry for the crappy pics :eek: Please help me get this skirt out of my closet and into the world :)

IMG_4911.jpg
IMG_4912.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn