Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me accessorize this Outfit!

texasgirl

One Too Many
64tonya-
What about the yellow one in your avatar? That looks like it might work...

So here's my new dress and I'm trying to figure out a hat to go with it.
ScreenHunter_01Apr241036.jpg

Shirt suggested red and I think that might work. And I have that new red purse. Here's the red straw I have- I also have a red felt, but it looks more fall/wintery
085_85.jpg
Gibsland_2008_Arthur_039.jpg

Here's a blue felt I have, but I think it might be too much blue
Gibsland_2008_084.jpg

I also have a straw one, I think it's too brown though- the lighting in this pic is not great.
IMG_2338.jpg

I also have a blue straw but it has peacock feathers:
IMG_1757.jpg

And last I have this white straw. It's a new hat, Betmar I think, but I found some old flowers and I attached them
IMG_1621.jpg

64tonya

One of the Regulars
texasgirl said:
64tonya-

Hmmm...it is a short sweater I hadn't even thought of that! I'll try it :)
BTW, I like the white and blue hat but the red might offset the outfit nicely too

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The blue and white hat is cute, but might match too much, know what I mean? In the case of the dress already being so bold, Id do a solid different color, like the red, and the straw will go with just about everything!

LD

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
the red is throwing in another color altogether

that has nothing to do with the dress colors. And it looks too light for the dress. The white is nice if the print and neck collar is WHITE (hard to tell in the lighting on your dress pic). If NOT and its a actually a light beige or cream- then no. Keep in mind that the white hat will completely wash out your face-and its such a pretty face! If the blue hat is a good match to the dress color, stick with that. You can add a bit of contrast in the purse- keep it to one item and in a small dose.

texasgirl said:
64tonya-

So here's my new dress and I'm trying to figure out a hat to go with it.
ScreenHunter_01Apr241036.jpg

Shirt suggested red and I think that might work. And I have that new red purse. Here's the red straw I have- I also have a red felt, but it looks more fall/wintery
085_85.jpg
Gibsland_2008_Arthur_039.jpg

Here's a blue felt I have, but I think it might be too much blue
Gibsland_2008_084.jpg

I also have a straw one, I think it's too brown though- the lighting in this pic is not great.
IMG_2338.jpg

I also have a blue straw but it has peacock feathers:
IMG_1757.jpg

And last I have this white straw. It's a new hat, Betmar I think, but I found some old flowers and I attached them
IMG_1621.jpg

texasgirl

One Too Many
When the dress gets here, I think I'll take some photos with it all together. Thanks so much for all the ideas. everyone! I tend to think of red as a neutral, lol. I love it with everything!

I wish I could ask for your help with the beautiful brown 30s dress I won, but it's too small :( I can't get my arms through the sleeves (a new measurement question to ask, I guess-lol) But I think I'm going to keep it and get serious with the WW and exercising- so maybe by the Sept event it will work!

macollins

New in Town
Keira Knightley's Green Dress

My mother is going to make a replica of Keira's lovely green dress from the movie "Atonement" for my prom and I was wondering how I should accessorize for this late Thirties-early Forties dress. In the movie she wore a diamond pin in her hair and she had a jeweled bracelet. What kind of bag should I bring, if any?

Thank you!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
chanteuseCarey said:
[Adding a new color] that has nothing to do with the dress colors.

While you're right, I don't think this is a bad thing. I believe wholeheartedly in complementary colors. Matching all the time gets boring! It doesn't have to MATCH, it just has to GO!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
macollins said:
My mother is going to make a replica of Keira's lovely green dress from the movie "Atonement" for my prom and I was wondering how I should accessorize for this late Thirties-early Forties dress. In the movie she wore a diamond pin in her hair and she had a jeweled bracelet. What kind of bag should I bring, if any?

Thank you!

Welcome! Keira's dress in Atonement is a great colour - very striking. Myself, as it's much more an earlier 30s style than a 40s one, I'd go for a rather small clutch bag, beaded would be nice or silver or gold leather. This is very 'of the period' to have metallic acessories for your shoes and handbag. Just be sure to match in colour the acessories- very important in the 30s. I personally would go for silver with the green to give a nice contrast that's very 'Deco'.

As for jewellery, choose either longer earrings or a necklace. Both would be too much for the dress. There are lots of good reasonably priced diamante ones about which would look right or look on-line for vintage. A bracelet would go with either the earrings or necklace. Just be careful not to get one that will catch on the fabric of your dress! ie/ one with prong set stones. I've had this happen to dresses and it ruins them. Very heartbreaking.

You don't mention what your hair is like or what colour, but I wouldn't go for any hair accessories. Let the dress (and your face) stand out. Keep things simple and you'll look great.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
texasgirl said:
IMG_1621.jpg

Whilst I like the idea of a red hat and bag, your one doesn't seem quite right for the dress. Out of all of the pics, I like the white hat best. It's fresh and summery, like the dress, and your eyes stand out beautifully, which will compliment the blue of the dress, I think.

White bag and shoes too, if you have them, says she who has spent years getting 30s white shoes and purse! You may have more luck than me if you have feet smaller than size 8!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Help accessorizing a red dress

I don't wear red very often, but my favorite 40s dress is bright red:
2e32u4l.jpg

Normally I wear it with navy blue pumps, a navy belt, and red/white/blue bakelite jewelry (like in the picture above).

However, I want to switch it up a bit, and I am thinking just red/white. I don't own any red or white shoes, but I do own a brown & white pair of spectator slingback peep-toe platforms, very similar in color to this:

2iqd769.jpg

I'm not great at pairing colors, so I need some advice. Would those shoes, with a white flower in the hair, work with the red dress? If I also paired it with a brown handbag would that help pull things together, or should I just stick with the red/white/blue theme, which I know works? Suggestions, please!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I saw these shoes at lunchtime at Target, and I'm actually thinking they might look really cute with the red dress:

41R1yyJXj-L._AA260_.jpg

I know the peeptoe opening looks a touch big for true 1940s... but they're pretty close, and it'd also avoid my dilemma of swing dancing in original shoes (I've ruined 2 pair this way already) :eusa_doh:

Opinions?

Inky

One Too Many
fortworthgal said:
I saw these shoes at lunchtime at Target, and I'm actually thinking they might look really cute with the red dress:

41R1yyJXj-L._AA260_.jpg

I know the peeptoe opening looks a touch big for true 1940s... but they're pretty close, and it'd also avoid my dilemma of swing dancing in original shoes (I've ruined 2 pair this way already) :eusa_doh:

Opinions?

I think they are adorable and would look great with the red dress, better than the brown ones.

Kudos to you for being able to swing dance in a heel like that!! I'd kill myself.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
fortworthgal said:

41R1yyJXj-L._AA260_.jpg

Opinions?

I think these would look great - just get a red pedicure. Much cuter and more fun with the red dress than a brown shoe.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
One question - do you wear stockings with wedges, or no?

I know espadrilles are stocking-free, but since these are patent I'm wondering what the consensus is...

Inky

One Too Many
I am the stocking rebel. I can count on 3 fingers the times I have worn stockings since 1997 when I retired early from a 18 year banking career!

So wear 'em if you want to, but I think it's fine without. Tell them you're living the 40's and there weren't any ;)

And I am pondering having seams tattooed, but I have a lot of ink on my legs already :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails