Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HELP!! Me choose an AERO

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I guess that will depend on how you size it but in the picture above I've got an undershirt, collared shirt and a thin merino wool sweater and it's fine, no restrictions to mobility.

Basically the wider shoulders and the not too high armholes make it great for layering as well.

The shoulder and arm mobility is much better than virtually all of my Premier based Aero jackets.

I'm 5'11, 75kg with a 41 inch chest and 32 inch waist. Carrie put me in a size 38 with an extra 0.5 inches to each side of the waist and this is the result.

miami1959

Familiar Face
proteinnerd ,,wow im 5 " 11 160 pounds 32 inch waist....we are very close in size you may weigh 5 more pounds than me. I love that jacket. I spoke with Carrie about button cuffs on that design and she agrees it works well. I would also prefer no zippers on the hand warmer pockets. I am also wondering what it would look like without a chest pocket?/ Did you go with a standard back or do some custom work on the back of the jacket? That jacket is a perfect fit and hell I am quickly forgetting the Original Hercules...That jacket does provide a versatile look

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some of my decisions for the jacket were driven by me wanting it to be somewhat different to my existing jackets.

I went for the single V yoke in the back (similar styling to the standard Highwayman).

I kept the zip sleeves as I have a few jackets with button cuffs already but I think that could look good too. I think the zip sleeves makes the sleeve a bit slimmer though when zipped, you might want to check that.

I kept zipped hand warmers but they are closed in the down position (opposite to standard) it just make sense to me and I have a few jackets with non zip hand warmers.

I went for the slightly smaller August collar (I just prefer it to the standard)

I removed both internal and external kidney panels (I hate how the internal shows through on jackets with just the external removed).

Personally I prefer a jacket with at least 1 chest pocket. It always looks like something is missing to me on jackets that don't have any.

I really like the original Hercules as well but I've already got a Premier Half Belt with a detailed back and I don't want to double up too much.

miami1959

Familiar Face
Thx for the info proteinnerd and being generous with your time. The more I look at the Or.Herc....the more i am leaning towards the Sheene. The Sheene is a head turner. The Or. Herc correct me if I am wrong has the lower front "dip" or beak in the front .I have been looking at lots of pics and I know it is the style but in comparison to the waistline of the Sheene.... I prefer the Sheene. I am glad I posted because you guys have given me a lot to think on. I am going to think about things over the next couple of days while I am relaxing. Thank you everyone for the ideas

Peacoat

Bartender
Protein....does the jacket allow for light layering? Or is it pretty much just a Tshirt underneath kind of thing??
My Sheene was made one size larger, so I can wear it with a light sweater, but seldom do. I normally wear a a long sleeve shirt and a T-shirt under it. It is my go to jacket on those days when the temp is about 40 to 50 degrees. If colder, and I want to wear it, I just add a light sweater. If warmer, I wear a Filson vest instead of a jacket. It is a really clean design that can be worn anywhere.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think you said you've owned one, but out of the several Aero styles I've tried, the 30s Half Belt was the most comfortable. Looks nice too.

miami1959

Familiar Face
Thank you guys for the tips. I owned a Highwayman years ago but unfortunately the jacket was not fitted correctly and it was a disaster. I purchased a 30s slim half belt through Carrie and Wade and they nailed the fit. A super nice jacket. I no longer own that jacket....long story LOL. The Sheene has always intrigued me and I think I have just about settled on it as my next purchase. I know what leather and lining I want. A few details that concern me are: if I do go with the Sheene ..do I remove kidney panels? do I go with the standard "gussets" on the shoulders ? Do I stay with the Highwayman collar or go with August collar as others have.
The collar thing is really not as big a concern because I never really sweated that issue until I read about other people making the change LOL. My primary concerns are versatility, comfort/freedom of movement and durability as I plan to wear it a LOT. Thank you again guys and I appreciate any forthcoming advice and tips

miami1959

Familiar Face
one thing I forgot to mention is ....what is the general consensus among Sheene owners concerning button cuffs instead of zipper sleeves? Thank you folks

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
If it were me, I would order a seal Vicenza Sheene with 3 pockets – chest pocket straight, not slanted; plain back (omit shoulder gussets/action back; no kidney panel but retain inside panel; back yoke; no zips on handwarmers; looped pocket zip on breast pocket.
2016-07-09 14.27.32.jpg
In the above picture you can see the looped pocket zip on the chest pocket. I think the looped assembly might be a bit more sturdy than the diamond Talon puller. I went with antique brass hardware. I ordered mine with standard zip sleeves in the back with leather toggles, which I promptly removed and placed inside the chest pocket. I wear my Sheenes with the sleeves unzipped and tucked inside the welts. Equally nice though would be button cuffs that are leather lined. My preference though with this type of jacket would be the zipped sleeves in the back. The zipped sleeves are IMO both unobtrusive and functional.

miami1959

Familiar Face
Thx Dan_t....I was just thinking the same thing... My only concerns at this point are to do or not to do the kidney panels and also the shoulder gusset/bi swing back thing which is standard I think. I do want comfort and my line of thinking makes me think it is best to stay as true to the original design as possible....Aero knows what they are doing after all

miami1959

Familiar Face
Just saw your post Fanch after replying to Dan. You have 2 super nice jackets!! I may be overthinking this thing but I am just trying to make an informed purchase. It will be 3 pockets as you have said....no action back etc does look cleaner.....the back yoke is nice....I am thinking it would be wise to get my inside pocket on the opposite side from my outside breast pocket and no closure snaps . Thank you again....you have given me some GREAT tips and I have got some thinking to do today....It has been super difficult deciding on which style to purchase but I think the Sheene is my best bet to function as an only leather jacket in the house at this point

miami1959

Familiar Face
I have to step out for a meeting but I do want to add that I am having a difficult time deciding between Seal Vicenza and Tumbled FQHH.....I have seen samples of both but samples do the leathers no justice. I am familiar with the heavy FQHH as I had it in my other jackets but the tumbled stuff is supposed to be lighter and it is definitely more pliable than the untumbled regular FQHH. Leather choice is probably my last tough decision....wow decisions decisions

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I have to step out for a meeting but I do want to add that I am having a difficult time deciding between Seal Vicenza and Tumbled FQHH.....I have seen samples of both but samples do the leathers no justice. I am familiar with the heavy FQHH as I had it in my other jackets but the tumbled stuff is supposed to be lighter and it is definitely more pliable than the untumbled regular FQHH. Leather choice is probably my last tough decision....wow decisions decisions

It is my understanding that tumbled FQHH is simply CXL FQHH that has been placed in a large vat and tumbled, which should not affect the weight but merely partially provide some degree of break in.

miami1959

Familiar Face
That being said Fanch the Seal Vicenza is making more and more sense. I live in South Carolina and we have hot summers and the winters are not long or brutal. I think a lighter weight leather makes a LOT of sense. In fact it may extend the amount of time I could comfortably wear the jacket each year. My only concern is future patina. I absolutely love the look of a well worn Brown FQHH jacket. The patina is just beautiful in my eyes anyways. I have not seen any pictures of Seal HH after a lot of wear? Does this stuff age/patina similar to the FQHH? It would be GREAT if someone had pictures of a well worn Seal Vicenza jacket of any style....again ..decisions ..decisions.. maybe I just have to flip a coin

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
The scheene I have was bought second hand, It has an inside kidney panel, and zip sleeves, and I suggest both. The kidney panel helps with wear & tear to the wool tartan lining, and the zip sleeves help a lot when wearing a backpack, as I do every day for work. The button sleeve cuffs get bound up in pack straps, as I have found.

miami1959

Familiar Face
Thx guys for all the help and pics. I have pretty much decided on the Sheene.....been having a hard time on leather choice but thx to ome tips from you guys ...I am thinking it will be brown tumbled FQHH. There are only a few October production slots left at Thurston.....so I have to get off the fence and man up as they say. Thx again everyone

Rich22

Practically Family
I received a sample of the new Cordovan Vicenza... that looks like lovely stuff too, which not many people have handled yet.

What kind of yoke will you go for? I fully agree with omitting the shoulder gussets and external kidney panel, by the way.

Personally I'd keep the inside pocket on the same side as the external pocket, to avoid the weird patina/ageing developing on the 'clean' side without the external pocket. I'm not sure the external breast pockets actually serve any (non-visual) function for anyone? Not like you'll overload that one side...

Oh, and sleeve zippers- seam or front placement?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran