Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HELP!! Me choose an AERO

miami1959

Familiar Face
Folks, thanks in advance for any help. I am trying to choose a new Aero. I will be going through Thurston. They helped me with a slim halfbelt and the fit was great!! Unfortunately I no longer have that jacket or my first Aero which was a Highwayman. I became negatized to the Highwayman because unlike the fit I got through Thurston the HWYM fit like a giant poncho. I have seen well fitted examples of the HWYM and I am wondering if I should give it another chance.I guess I should say I am not interested in a longer jacket.
I do not anticipate collecting a lot of jackets .I am just trying to find a good all around versatile jacket, something simple, unbusy,VERSATILE and that gets compliments every time I wear it.,,,etc. Am I asking for too much?I do not want anything flashy or too in the face???Jacket will be brown and I will probably go with the tumbled brown FQHH. It will be a cotton drill lining probably in olive for a change. My other 2 jackets were the heavy FQHH and I want something just a little easier to break in. I love the Original Hercules,,,,I love button cuffs,,,, I love the cinch straps at the botttom like a highwayman or the Or. Herc. The new moonshiner caught my eye because I am digging buttons instead of zipper..and it has a clean look like the Or. Herc. However Moonshiner has the cinch straps higher? I am truly driving my self crazy trying to decide. Do the button front jackets work well as an only jacket??Versatile ?
I am about 5 feet 11 maybe 6 feet and weigh 160 pounds...I remember JFKs funeral so I am not 17 anymore. I wear jeans most of the time.... sometimes some khakis with desert boots. It would be nice if the jacket would work with a collar and tie but honestly that would probably rarely happen. Oh well thank you for any suggestions or ideas. You guys are truly a great resource and should be commended. There is a wealth of info on this site that has been invaluable to me. Unfortunately I just can not make up my mind. I have decided to settle down and take my time and try to make a good decision. Again I appreciate any help or ideas.
On a side note...I will be treating myself to a leather Aero Type 3 for xmas but the jacket I want to purchase now will be my daily go to jacket here in mild South Carolina where I live. Thank you and forgive my rambling... I m no Mark Twain when it comes to writing. Please forgive me if this is not posted in the correct section and I can repost.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Since you have been through Thurston before, you should talk to Carrie for direction regarding the pattern that might best work for your frame. My experience is that the Highwayman is perhaps the most difficult of all to get right as it is a boxy fit to begin with. Maybe a Premier Highwayman might be a better selection in your case?

If you want something lighter in weight that has a fantastic look, feel and drape, go with seal Vicenza and olive cotton drill lining throughout. Most here, including Thurston, prefer lightweight wool tartan body shell lining, but I think the olive cotton drill is more durable and looks great too.

miami1959

Familiar Face
Thx Fanch.... for the tip....I have talked to Carrie a few times and exchanged a few emails with her. She has been EXTREMELY helpful. Regardless of what I choose I feel great knowing she can fit it.
I am just hoping to get some opinions and ideas from all you folks here on the forum. There is a lot of knowledge here and when making decisions it has always helped me to get input from as many knowledgeable sources as possible.Thank you again forthe tips. I am familiar with the heavy FQHH and thought the tumbled stuff would be nice. I will not baby the jacket so I want something stout. Vicenza sounds interesting but I do love Aero FQHH

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you like the general style of the highwayman but it doesn't suit your slimmer frame, have you thought about a Sheene? It's probably the most versatile jacket I own. Not flashy just a great understated style.

miami1959

Familiar Face
Thx Jacketjunkie....I saw the Royale. I do not like the button pockets on the front. It is a nice jacket but just not what I want. I am really leaning towards the Original hercules at the moment. I love the simple clean look but that Monshiner intrigues me as well. Fanch I had not thought about the premier HWYM.. The route 66 is interesting as well . I have never seen anyone wearing one but I think it has a slim fit

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Nice write-up. I think a Bootlegger would be a very nice option for you, and it would work well with a tie on occasion as well. Looks great in deep burgundy/cordovan too.

Or as mentioned above, the Scheene is awesome!

miami1959

Familiar Face
Thx Jacketjunkie....I saw the Royale. I do not like the button pockets on the front. It is a nice jacket but just not what I want. I am really leaning towards the Original hercules at the moment. I love the simple clean look but that Monshiner intrigues me as well. Fanch I had not thought about the premier HWYM.. The route 66 is interesting as well
If you like the general style of the highwayman but it doesn't suit your slimmer frame, have you thought about a Sheene? It's probably the most versatile jacket I own. Not flashy just a great understated style.[/
Is the Sheene comfortable?? You think it is versatile? Not too edgy if you tried to dress it up?

miami1959

Familiar Face
Man I need to learn some computer skills....I do not know if my reply posted correctly....but you sound like you enjoy the Sheene?Is it comfortable? What leather did you choose in this jacket? You rank this at the top of your jacket collection in versatility?? Versatility is important to me and I have eyeballed the Sheene but was afraid maybe it was a little too "edgy" compared to say the Or. Herc? Thank you for tip ...you have me eyeballing the Sheene online again

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Thx Fanch.... for the tip....I have talked to Carrie a few times and exchanged a few emails with her. She has been EXTREMELY helpful. Regardless of what I choose I feel great knowing she can fit it.
I am just hoping to get some opinions and ideas from all you folks here on the forum. There is a lot of knowledge here and when making decisions it has always helped me to get input from as many knowledgeable sources as possible.Thank you again forthe tips. I am familiar with the heavy FQHH and thought the tumbled stuff would be nice. I will not baby the jacket so I want something stout. Vicenza sounds interesting but I do love Aero FQHH
Trust me that Vicenza is very substantial. It is also my understanding that Vicenza is FQHH but veg tanned rather than CXL and not packed with the waxes, etc. that makes CXL heavier than if it were veg tanned. I have two Vicenza Sheenes neither of which I baby. An alternative to a Sheene would be a Seven, although my experience is that one needs to go one size larger from a Sheene to a Seven. As a point of reference, the Sheene is made on the Cafe Racer pattern whereas the Seven is made from the Board Racer pattern. It might be easier to fine tune a Sheene (Cafe Racer) than a Seven (Board Racer) pattern since the former has side panels that can be adjusted for taper. Of course Carrie has forgotten more about this than I will ever know!

Last edited:
From the sounds of things a sheene or seven would probably be your best bet. That I said I second Randy's vote for the Bootlegger. It's the coolest jacket on earth times 1000 multiplied by one million. But I get it might not be an "everyday, go to jacket".
Please understand I'm totally unbiased. Cross zip jackets are only marginally appealing to me. ;)

miami1959

Familiar Face
Thx ton 312.....thx fanch, randy , proteinnerd and all you guys. I am looking hard at the Sheene now. As I mentioned earlier the original hercules has always interested me with the simplicity of the front. The Sheene is similiar with the clean front and easy lines. Protein nerd says its his most versatile and Fanch has 2 Sheenes so the jacket must be enjoyable. None of you guys have commented on the OR. Herc. I get the feeling that you guys arent too excited about the OR Herc.?? I am going to have dinner and do some thinking. Thx guys. I have been really reluctant to ask for help here but you guys have helped me to feel comfortable and not feel like a stupid aero nimrod. I will check back this evening

ProteinNerd

My Sheene is Seal Vicenza
5185aed876d0b02efdf1f8b62a5d59c9.jpg

Thx ton 312.....thx fanch, randy , proteinnerd and all you guys. I am looking hard at the Sheene now. As I mentioned earlier the original hercules has always interested me with the simplicity of the front. The Sheene is similiar with the clean front and easy lines. Protein nerd says its his most versatile and Fanch has 2 Sheenes so the jacket must be enjoyable. None of you guys have commented on the OR. Herc. I get the feeling that you guys arent too excited about the OR Herc.?? I am going to have dinner and do some thinking. Thx guys. I have been really reluctant to ask for help here but you guys have helped me to feel comfortable and not feel like a stupid aero nimrod. I will check back this evening
Oh I love the original Herc! I kind of forget about that one. It's not often seen in the wild and it's a very, very cool design. Stays within the not too loud category and gives you loads of versatility.

My Sheene is Seal Vicenza
5185aed876d0b02efdf1f8b62a5d59c9.jpg
Man that's a real winner PN. I know it's a small detail but to me the body length on this is what makes it such a winner. Perfectly compliments your physique. God I wish I had lobbed 1.5" off my 30's HB. I totally blew the proportions by going too long and not factoring the front drop. I chose poorly. You however,
IMG_6096.JPG

miami1959

Familiar Face
That is one sharp jacket proteinnerd!!! Does the jacket give you good mobility? I am an active guy and I want comfort and the ability to move my arms etc???How does the seal vicenza patina as opposed to the FQHH?

ProteinNerd

Mobility is great. Because it's based off a motorcycle jacket it has wide shoulders. I'm not sure how the Vicenza is going to break in because all of my Vicenza jackets are still fairly new but it's damn comfortable to wear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran