Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me date my pants...

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Alright,

I have three sets of vintage trousers, all of them with lowered belt loops, high waist, and at least an 11 inch rise, but I have no idea what year they are... and the real question is does it matter? I really want to know if it matters? Was there a monumental difference between late 30s trousers and late 40s trousers? Someone told me to measure the cuff width. All the trousers I own have about 9 and 1/2 inches width on the cuffs... so if anyone can pinpoint a time frame for those I would be very much obliged.

And again please let me know if I could get away with wearing trousers that aren't an exact chronological match to a sport coat...

Cheers
Vim.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Have some pics? Also, have you bought them roses?

In the end, pants don't always have to be period correct with jackets. they have to look balanced yes, but I mix and match all the time. If something works it works.

Take some pics and let's take a look.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Hello, I have to say I am far from the expert on vintage items all the way, but I am just thinking the measured size of a cuff or finished bottom on pants may not be anything at all to determine exactly the time period such pants are from. I think logically a person can have pants altered or made to be a vast variety of sizes and shapes. However if you have something to look at, post a picture showing the inside of the pants, any tags or markings that may be on them, it may help someone here to identify a "made in such and such year" that would be from a reliable source.

I have three pairs of pants I purchased in a tailor shop in 1973. The shop was in Naples, Italy. The pants are a tad bit wider legs (pleated front pants) than most dress pants. They are just so one of a kind, but would remind you of very expensive pants you would see maybe a movie star wearing from the past, say maybe 1940's. I have had many people that are very into vintage clothing discuss the pants when I wear them with a dinner jacket, these people will tell me the pants look good with a tux, and must be from the 1940's, I tell them NO, I purchased them in the 70's, and they want to argue with me they have to be from 1940's! They are a bit higher rise than most dress pants, have such a deep rich wool and silk blend, the colors are amazing even today the pants still look like new. I paid maybe at most $40.00 a pair and that included having them "fit and sized" and "cuffed" right then and there.

Last edited:

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Matt, well I've no flowers but I've still got a half bottle of wine to offer them...

I'll post post some photos tomorrow fellas, but I appreciate the initial input.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I would think that Mr. Deckard will be able to give you a more valued guess or opinion about the age factor than most of us could, as he is far more educated about clothing, it is his line of work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou