Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me find my first A2?

hobbstc

New in Town
Hi guys, new here. I'm in Army Rotary Wing flight school at Ft. Rucker. Looking for my first A2! The wife gave me a budget of $450 total. From what I have gathered here, if I can find one, I want a 44R HH Russet. I almost grabbed a Goodwear on ebay tonight, but was sniped in the last few minutes. I'm also considering the Dark brown Aero in the classifieds here if I can't find a russet. I also am considering a US Authentic, but I heard the horsehide doesn't show patine that nice. Anyway, I'd appreciate any help with leads. I wish the Army still issued them, I've been using my CW45/P the last few weeks. Take care!

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
This is the place for A2's.

I was in Ranger School class 2-84 (the 2nd class of 1984). At least back then, we used to be picked up by helicopter pilots in training from Fort Rucker. I recall boarding the chopper and it was, apparently, traditional for the student pilot to pass out candy bars to the starving Ranger candidates. I remember the pilots looking on in disbelief as some of my classmates literally ate the candy bar wrapper and all.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Considering your budget,

you're doing well to chase a used Aero, or, on a very lucky day, a GoodWear. But, take a look at Gibson & Barnes, aka, FlightSuits. They make a very good quality A-2, in horse and goat. See what you think. There are a lot of members here who are quite happy with their GB's. Good hunting.

Anders

One of the Regulars
I've got a horsehide A-2 from US Authentic that I'm reasonably pleased with. The leather is pliable and durable, but I think you heard right about the patina, it shows very little grain or character. So far that's resulted in a four-year old jacket that looks brand new, but it might not be what you're looking for.

I don't have much to compare it too, but next to my Lost Worlds model the lining is much more soft and comfortable, and the armholes are little less fitted so it doesn't give my arms much overhead range of motion.

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
They're about 350 euros plus shipping, so a little more than 450 dollars.

hobbstc

New in Town
Hmmm. My currency converter seems to show it would be over $500 shipped. Am I wrong? If its a little over $450 shipped I'm getting one! Unless someone has something used they are trying to get rid of...

Peacoat

Bartender
you're doing well to chase a used Aero, or, on a very lucky day, a GoodWear. But, take a look at Gibson & Barnes, aka, FlightSuits. They make a very good quality A-2, in horse and goat. See what you think. There are a lot of members here who are quite happy with their GB's. Good hunting.

Yes, G&B makes a good product, but he will have to go with a used one as the new prices are almost $700 for the horse and a little less for the goat. Just know up front that the goat will show little, if any, patina, even with a lot of wear. They never seem to age.

I don't know how far along you are, Hobbstc, but I went through the same program many years ago. After a combat tour, I was an instrument instructor in the basic instrument division at Hunter AAF in Savannah, GA and then moved up to flight standards. You know those guys, the ones who give the check rides? Well, that was me.

Good luck with the search and with the flying.

hobbstc

New in Town
Thanks! I'm between P1 and P2 check rides in Primary. I get the lucky final check ride 3 days after coming back from Christmas break.

CBI

One Too Many
My advice is to hold out for a used Eastman or Aero Leather. A quick eBay advanced search shows many Eastman's in your price range (other Eastman models no). Not to knock anyone else's posts but I wouldn't mess with any lesser brands except maybe a used Bill Kelso (which is hard to find). If you were contemplating a Good Wear, you simply won't be happy with a brand like G/B, US Authentic. Right now, many Eastman's are not selling for very much.

Join vintageleatherjackets.org. Once you are a member, make five posts, "Hey, great jacket", etc. Once you have 5 posts, you are allowed to accept private messages. Post a "Wanted - Eastman or Aero A-2 size 44" In the thread, tell everyone your price limit. I'll bet you have a good choice or two via forum members within a few days of your post. This is worth the effort to do .............

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
Hmmm. My currency converter seems to show it would be over $500 shipped. Am I wrong? If its a little over $450 shipped I'm getting one! Unless someone has something used they are trying to get rid of...

I suppose so, it's 350 euros +50 shipping, but at the moment AFAIK Kelso just has goatskin and perhaps the jacket could come for a little less...

The other options are the Aero sale page and the Eastman rei-issue depot, but you've to be lucky to find the right jacket at the right time.

hobbstc

New in Town
My advice is to hold out for a used Eastman or Aero Leather. A quick eBay advanced search shows many Eastman's in your price range (other Eastman models no). Not to knock anyone else's posts but I wouldn't mess with any lesser brands except maybe a used Bill Kelso (which is hard to find). If you were contemplating a Good Wear, you simply won't be happy with a brand like G/B, US Authentic. Right now, many Eastman's are not selling for very much.

Join vintageleatherjackets.org. Once you are a member, make five posts, "Hey, great jacket", etc. Once you have 5 posts, you are allowed to accept private messages. Post a "Wanted - Eastman or Aero A-2 size 44" In the thread, tell everyone your price limit. I'll bet you have a good choice or two via forum members within a few days of your post. This is worth the effort to do .............

Two questions. First what were the advanced search tags you used because I only see two. Second I only have yahoo and gmail email accounts. I can't seem to get an account in VLJ with that. Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch guys, I appreciate it!

CBI

One Too Many
if you have an eBay account, sign in, go to advanced search, type in "A-2 jacket" or "Eastman Jacket", etc. and hit "completed listings" to see what recent purchases sold for. As far as VLJ, no ideas if you can't become a member with yahoo/gmail.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Good advice from CBI; especially joining the VLJ forum. I've seen some really good deals come across their Buy/Sell section the last couple of years.

My advice is .........buy as much A-2 jacket as you can afford. If you end up "settling" and later really get hooked on authentic validation, you will be chasing jackets and spending beau coupe bucks and wonder why you didn't get that ultimate one jacket
in the first place. Of course some guys can be perfectly content with an A-2 that fits good and serves the purpose, regardless of manufacturer.

Good luck on your A-2 venture and also with your Army aviation career. Thank you for your selfless service and Welcome to the Forum!

Best regards,
coffee (retired Army First Sergeant)

Last edited:

ron521

One of the Regulars
US Wings is having a sale on many of their A2 and other jackets, with some, including "current military issue" jackets for $195

bretron

Call Me a Cab
I say there's no way you're going to get a Chapman jacket for under $650 on here or VLJ... I am in the exact same pricepoint you are. Most ELC and Aeros seem to sell at both places for around $550-700, and Goodwears for around $700. I was watching that GW you lost out on on the Bay. Bummer on the snipe, but keep in mind thats going to be how 90-95% of the auctions for A2s close, so you migh as well get used to it and sign up for an account to snipe yourself:p

BTW- you should figure out what measurements you need first and foremost. These A2s are sized all over the map, and knowing the correct measurements will save you a $#!T load of hassle- trust me!!!!

All the best man, and welcome to your new obsession-LOL!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner