Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me please

barrowjh

One Too Many
hattitude

Wear it without noticing it. If you wear it and are afraid what other people think, then you probably do look goofy. Like any article of clothing, it must be worn with confidence - not fear. We call it 'hattitude.'

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^^^

yep

ive_got_hattitude_hat-p148383880669004088uh2y_400.jpg

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
start small

start with treks to the post office or to put gas in the car.

if you are in a more urban area and do walking, wear it to your local grocer or some other small shop.

you can also first wear it around the yard (if you have one) to get used to the feel of it.

step by step

most important: forget you are wearing it; like a ballcap...it's just there.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
germangentleman said:
I just purchased a chocolate brown Stetson fedora (beautiful). I love this hat...but I don't have the guts to wear it. How do ya'll get started?

What do you mean you don't have the guts? Can you tell us a little more about yourself and what you mean by this statement? What's on your mind?

By the way, welcome to the Lounge. ;)

Winsor

New in Town
I can relate

The only "smartass" comments I get are from coworkers. Otherwise, I get great comments everywhere else. I think the coworkers are jealous they don't have the guts to wear one.

ValEag

One of the Regulars
awest84532 said:
I live by the adage of, "what you think of me is none of my business," so I put my hat on and go!

Never heard it put that way before awest, but I like it! That would be a great follow up when someone starts a conversation with "It's none of my business, but . . . ."

As far as germangentleman's original post - it's just a hat, put it on and wear it. Will you hear some silly comments? Probably! Will you care? Well, that is up to you. Over time, people will get used to seeing you with your fedora and it will seem strange when you are not wearing it.

I have a friend at church that has jokingly called me Clark Kent. After a few months, he now wants to know where he can get his own fedora. Another friend asked me just yesterday how to size a hat. I printed off a chart and gave it to him last night. I've found that when you get past the jokes and kidding, many people really like the way Fedora looks. Sometimes others may not know my name, but everyone knows 'the guy in the hat."

I think awest84532's advice is the best I've heard in awhile.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
sunbody shame

Honestly, I didnt wear my sunbody all the time- its bright, its big and attracts a lot of attention.

but if i was alone on errands of course i wore it in public. just didnt use it much states-side. abroad, hell yes.

plop the hat on your head and roll with it. if its functional and not too loud no one will care. plus its wintertime, people are too busy rushing indoors to look at you anyway.

jwalls

Vendor
Welcome

Hope you enjoy your sojourn among us. As to the hat you must like it, since you spent good money on it. It's your hat and your head, wear the damn thing.:) :) :)

NeilA

Familiar Face
Okay, so, whatcha wanna do is... wear it. Although... not with shorts... and longer sleeves are better in my opinion. A fedora can look pretty darn good with alot of casual wear.

:eek:fftopic: Cool to see someone near to me. I'm a League City resident, if you know where that is.

germangentleman

New in Town
In Gratitude ...

In Thomas Mann's The Majic Mountain it is said, "one should always have a hat on...so that one can take it off on occasions when it is appropriate to do so."

I got it and I am not just "putting you on". The Catholic Church has been my proving gound and I took the advice and am now wearing the fedora to church regularly and confidently. Christmas Eve was also a success. My next challenge will be wearing my Stetson cowboy hat from the Ronald Reagan museum (made by Stetson especially for him - beautiful silver belly). My daughter has several upcoming livestock shows and before attending I will faithfully re-read each of your comments as this is an old dog with a new trick.

I will post a photo in each hat, however, I will say now that I do NOT look anything like Burt Lancaster.

billysmom

One Too Many
germangentleman said:
My next challenge will be wearing my Stetson cowboy hat from the Ronald Reagan museum (made by Stetson especially for him - beautiful silver belly). My daughter has several upcoming livestock shows and before attending I will faithfully re-read each of your comments as this is an old dog with a new trick.

I will post a photo in each hat, however, I will say now that I do NOT look anything like Burt Lancaster.

So glad you've successfully broken the ice.

If you're coming up to Fort Worth's stock show you'll blend right in with your Stetson!

Sue

Hats fit any State

Texas is a state where some kind of hats are worn no matter what the time of year and fedoras fit any state. I get a lot of looks no matter in what state I wear mine but thats good because I want the Ladies to take notice and lots men ask me where they can get one. Look around, more and more men are wearing hats. You don't have to go far just turn on your TV. We here at the lounge are leaders and I think we have started something. Join us and wear your hat as you walk with confidence.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Andykev said:
You're kidding, right?

Don't have the guts? Humm.. Age may matter. Self esteem may matter. Your shape may matter.

But all that DOESN'T MATTER.

Wear your hat, and act like you have ALWAYS worn it.

In my case, the very few comments quickly disappeared..to the point that now all I hear is "Where's your hat?"

Life is too short to worry about what others think about you having a hat on or not. Besides, anyone who says anything negative probably only owns or wears a baseball cap with their suit.

Also, your head will be warmer (hence your body), and in most cases you won't get skin cancer.

:arated: Great advice! What anyone else thinks doesn't matter; in my case people do ask "Where's your hat?" anytime I am without one (which is very rare).

Thunderbolt

One of the Regulars
Wear it with confidence or not at all. Being self conscious about it will only make you look bad. Wear it with swagger. Also, wear it with a collared shirt, be it a dress shirt, button up, or polo but not a t-shirt. Walk tall. You're joining the ranks of guys like Sinatra, Elliot Ness, Bogey. Wear it like you mean it, or just don't do it.

Mickey D

One of the Regulars
Like many have mentioned above, I started wearing it around the house and yard, to the mail box, while driving in the car, short errands to the store, etc.
I received all positive comments, including the Indy, nice hat, I like your hat, you look good in that, and where's your hat(?) if seen without it.

Put it on and enjoy it. The looks and smiles you get will be positive. :)

NJIndy

New in Town
Welcome!
The important thing is what you think... not others...
You sound like you really like the hat... so wear it...
Of course the more you wear it, the more hats you will want...
Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran