Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me please

CliffG

One of the Regulars
put it on your head and go to the store fro some milk.
just wear it if you like it.
If you are worried about someone making a comment, I will guess if anyone says anything to you it will be positive.
Cliff

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The best way to get started is to put it on your head in the house when you first get up. Keep it there. I will begin to feel normal and part of you. Then venture out as you normally would and you'll be doing it with a great looking fedora on your head!

-dixon cannon

Carlisle Blues

Unless you are him you should not have a problem. Welcome to the Lounge!!!:)

269710_Untitled-4.jpg

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
Getting Started

Welcome to the lounge, come on in!you'll meet lots of wonderful, kind people here (as did I). it's a little scary to actually CARE about your attire & put some thought into your dress & clothing!
I,as a woman, felt a bit ODD at first because I live in such a Weird little desert town that if your not dressed in houseslippers,the rattist old pair of weekold worn pajama bottems & the Tee shirt 3 generations have woren befor you "inherited" it your just "weird!"
so the first time I put on one of my mom's old hats I felt as if it belonged!Then a few sundays later,along with my hat,my jacket,my gloves & my wedge sandles, I went out again!
Then, one day,I went to work wearing my COOLCUTS Coveralls,rolled up sleeves (like rosie the riviter) wearing my off white snood, with the white organdy ribbon woven through it, with my red vintage earrings & my oxfords with the "Chunk" heel!
So to cut to the chase~You like the guys say start out a little bit at a time!The good thing is, you fellas dont' really stick out like a sore thumb like us gals do when we wear our Victory rolls,snoods,gloves,skirts,stocking (that always wrinkle at the ankle!AAAARG) etc!
I doug out all of mom's old glass ball coursages to wear at the beauty shop on my aprons this season!she had 25 coursages for 25 days of chirstmas!wore a differetn one each day!one on her uniform blouse and the one from the previous day on her sweater or jacket!
It's winter now,a hat on a man's head isn't going to look that out of place. go for it!give yourself permisson to be who you are!as CliffG said the only "comments" your going to get are positive ones~ I can bet you!because people would like to wear a "lid" but are to afraid of what others will think of them or say to them! Don't be shy!this isn't a dress rehearsal honney!as long as your not offending yourself with your mode of dress (LadyGaGa comes to mind)then enjoy!JUST DO IT!
take a picture with your hat on & post it so we all can see!
1*Cool*Kitten

DougC

Practically Family
You're in the Woodlands! Put it on and go to a pub near the mall. OR (if you don't like pubs or are underage) wait until it rains and go for a walk. OR go to the Heights in Houston and wander around. OR go to a museum/art gallery in Houston and look at pictures.

Depending on the hat style you can also go to Conroe (or Spring or any other smaller town) and sit at a bar and then ask someone to dance.

Bottomline, have fun and don't think about the hat.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
It's difficult to do something different.

I get a lot of odd looks. If you're wearing or doing something different you have to accept you *are* opening yourself up to criticism. Just remember, this is YOU only YOU have to like it. Other people's opinions don't matter. ;)

BobC

Welcome to the lounge, GG. You will like it here.

Do you really like your new hat? If you do, my suggestion is to put it on and wear it. I decided a little over two years ago that I liked mine, and did just what I suggested to you. People will look at you. Some may be bold enough to make stupid comments. Some may make positive comments. But the real deal is that you like it, and the hell with what anyone else thinks.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
I have the answer

I grew up in Houston. You should wear it here: http://www.menil.org/ on your first outing. Then head over to Rudyards for a beer. They are at: 2010 Waugh Drive
Houston, TX 77006. I used to haunt both places before there was a "World Wide Web." Go figure... I didn't even know Ruds had food.

If you want to talk to a drunk rocket scientist, you can check out the Menil collection on a Friday, then go to Valhalla on Rice Campus for a beer that night. Wear the hat, you'll look wonderful. :D

59Lark

Practically Family
dare to be different.

My late father said dont be a sheep you know what the wolves do to the sheeps, dont you. That said, dont wear a pair of shorts and t shirt with a fedora dress like a fedora is part of that set and enjoy. i wear a fedora straw in the summer and rabbit felt in winter all year. i feel naked going outside without a fedora and once you wear one all the time , you dont feel right without one and i dont even run out to the cars to get something without a fedora. Now people know me as the man with the hat at a fleamarket that i have a booth at for the last twentyfive years. I now am so into fedoras that i bought all the moulds and blocks and equipment and now i am a agent for a small hat maker outfit and have sold my first fedora. how is that for comitment to the fedora. 59Lark:eek:fftopic:

Mulceber

Practically Family
BobC said:
Welcome to the lounge, GG. You will like it here.

Do you really like your new hat? If you do, my suggestion is to put it on and wear it. I decided a little over two years ago that I liked mine, and did just what I suggested to you. People will look at you. Some may be bold enough to make stupid comments. Some may make positive comments. But the real deal is that you like it, and the hell with what anyone else thinks.

And the thing I've found is, the more you like it and are comfortable with it, the more other people will like it and be comfortable with it. -M

Pilgrim

One Too Many
The only way to start is to start. Wear it to the store, while you're driving, etc. One of the critical parts to LOOKING comfortable and appropriate in any clothing is to get used to it.

Think about the college grads who go on interviews wearing a suit and tie for the first time. They look really uncomfortable. I tell them to wear a shirt and tie for at a couple of days before the interview so they're more comfortable with it. That makes them look more comfortable during the interview.

That's the ticket - START. Once you get started, it becomes easier every day.

And BTW - I lived in TX for 13 years. If it helps, get a western hat and wear it - you will feel "in place" anywhere in TX and it will help you get comfortable wearing a hat. No one says you can wear both fedoras and western hats. I do.

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
I can't really contribute anything else to the excellent, supportive advice listed above. All I would add is that I think you will be surprised by all the POSITIVE comments you will garner by walking away from the herd and demonstrating your individual style in an all too bland landscape.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
JUST DO IT

germangentleman said:
I just purchased a chocolate brown Stetson fedora (beautiful). I love this hat...but I don't have the guts to wear it. How do ya'll get started? (Yes, I live in Texas.)

Thanks for your help!

You're kidding, right?

Don't have the guts? Humm.. Age may matter. Self esteem may matter. Your shape may matter.

But all that DOESN'T MATTER.

Wear your hat, and act like you have ALWAYS worn it.

In my case, the very few comments quickly disappeared..to the point that now all I hear is "Where's your hat?"

Life is too short to worry about what others think about you having a hat on or not. Besides, anyone who says anything negative probably only owns or wears a baseball cap with their suit.

Also, your head will be warmer (hence your body), and in most cases you won't get skin cancer.

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
posting a pic of yourself in this excellent forum and soaking up all the positive feed back you get will help.
you probably cant post pics yet but do it soon as you can. i assure you it will help, and by the way i do trust the folks here to tell me if a hat ive posted really didnt work for me.

christphil

New in Town
Start wearing your hat to work. You're going to take it off when you get there anyway. So in that way you become slowly acclimated to the experience by wearing it to work and back but not necessarily while you are there.

That's what worked for me. Only a short time later and I am now quite comfortable wearing a fedora anywhere.

In fact, I feel more confident with the fedora on then without it!

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
If you want to dip your toe in the water before jumping in , try looking at everyone's head the next time you are out.....

Make it a point to look at whether or not they are wearing a hat and what the hat/cap looks like...

My guess is you will see some weird hats that you would never wear, you will see some nice hats, and you will of course see some ball caps,

next I want you to look at the hats and then look at the people all around the hat wearers and notice whether or not THEY are looking at the hats...

My guess is most of them won't be looking.........

So what we have here is most people won't notice you wearing your hat, your hat will be nicer looking to you than what most of the cap/hat wearers are wearing and those that have nice hats will notice you and smile or nod in your direction..........

Give it a try and let me know if I am right or wrong.... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic