Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help needed: Configuration of my perfect Aero Board Racer

Max27

New in Town
Dear all,

First of all, I would like to say that you have a hell of a forum going on here; so much passion and enthusiasm, and so much positive energy – simply amazing! I have been reading the forum for quite some time, and also my first proper leather jacket purchase was triggered by the forum: a few years ago I bought a black FQHH Aero Café Racer that I still like to wear on a very regular basis (even though it took me quite some time to break it in…):
Max Aero.jpg
Now I am in the market for an addition to my small collection, I would like to buy another Café Racer style jacket, but I am looking for something lighter, slightly trimmer, that I can wear during warmer times, mainly with only a t-shirt underneath. That’s why I am now looking to buy an Aero Board Racer, and it would be great to get some constructive feedback from you guys on my (current) configuration. The great thing is: I will be in Scotland next month and I will order the jacket directly at the Aero factory, an event that I am very much looking forward to (I will travel together with a friend who will get his first Aero leather jacket that day). Here are my specs:
  • Model: Board Racer
  • Style-wise I would like it to be close to the Buco J-100 jacket
  • Leather: Preferably black vincenza horesehide – my question: Is this leather relatively light/soft and "easy" to wear? Would you recommend it for summer use (with only a t-shirt underneath)?
  • Cut-wise I am considering to have the jacket made slightly shorter than the normal board racer, which I believe would fit my bodyshape better (comparable to the classic café racer) - does this make sense in your eyes?
  • Pockets: Here I would go with the Buco-layout (just 2 horizontal chest pockets, no side pockets)
  • Regarding inner pockets: I am not sure if they will disturb the trim fit of the jacket, what would you say?
  • Back: I believe that a centre-seam would look quite nice
  • Question: Does a bi-swing back disturb the trim fit of the jacket (which I would like to achieve)?
  • I don’t really like the style where the centre zipper doesn’t go all the way down and the jacket splits in two halves, I think I would rather go for a version where it doesn’t do that split (unlike the original Buco)
  • Lining: Tartan (pattern still to be decided)
  • Zipper: Talon in chrome, round ends (like the original Buco)
I am very much looking forward to your feedback guys! Please let me know if there are things I have forgotten or that I should (re)consider, I really want this jacket to be perfect, especially since it is connected to my Scotland-trip.

Greetings from Munich/Germany!

Max

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You seem to be replicating a lot of the features of your current jacket and just changing it from a 4 pocket to a 2 pocket.

It looks like its a great fit on you, the BR will fit quite differently with significantly narrower shoulders. Why not get another CR in a different colour but spec it differently? Or if you really want to go with the BR pattern you could also discuss sizing up but then tapering down a size in the waist.

My suggestion to make it a little different (read: this is what I'd do if I ordered another cafe style jacket)
Slanted Chest pockets
BR Collar
Dark Seal or Blackend Brown Vicenza
Back with curved top yoke (like the J-100)
Sleeve zips on top of the wrist again like J-100

This way, you get a nice fit but it looks different to the one you have.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
  • Model: Board Racer
As others have stated, this jacket fits quite a bit differently than your cafe racer. Many actually go up a size (42 to 44, etc). Since you are going to the factory, sizing will we WAY easier than usual. Most of us have to measure other jackets, measure ourselves, sweat, and hope we got it right.
  • Style-wise I would like it to be close to the Buco J-100 jacket
Easy - they do this all the time. Keep in mind that there are two cafe racer collar styles - the short even style like your CR and the longer asymmetrical style. Also, you can order a cafe racer with board racer features (zippers on outside of sleeves, different pocket configuration, J100 back with straight shoulder yoke)
  • Leather: Preferably black vincenza horesehide – my question: Is this leather relatively light/soft and "easy" to wear? Would you recommend it for summer use (with only a t-shirt underneath)?
Any jacket will be hot in the summer - you'll want a cotton lining. Vicenza is noticeably softer and much easier to wear than CXL or the other thicker leathers. We just had a big thread about the differences between CXL and Vicenza.
  • Cut-wise I am considering to have the jacket made slightly shorter than the normal board racer, which I believe would fit my bodyshape better (comparable to the classic café racer) - does this make sense in your eyes?
The length looks about right in your picture - this is something Aero will help you with.
  • Pockets: Here I would go with the Buco-layout (just 2 horizontal chest pockets, no side pockets)
No problem, the inner pocket will be useful for the things you would put in the side pockets.
  • Regarding inner pockets: I am not sure if they will disturb the trim fit of the jacket, what would you say?
Aero says it does, but everybody gets these and you don't hear anyone complaining that it ruined the fit. Get a VERTICAL inside pocket, and you'll be fine.
  • Back: I believe that a centre-seam would look quite nice
This is personal preference. I prefer the J100 straight across shoulder panel with a 1 piece back below. However, I recently saw one with a straight across shoulder panel and a 2-piece back with a center seam that looked really good.
  • Question: Does a bi-swing back disturb the trim fit of the jacket (which I would like to achieve)?
If you want the J100 look, I would not use a bi-swing back. It's much cleaner without it.
  • I don’t really like the style where the centre zipper doesn’t go all the way down and the jacket splits in two halves, I think I would rather go for a version where it doesn’t do that split (unlike the original Buco)
This is probably do-able, or ou can just get a Cafe Racer and order J100 appointments.
  • Lining: Tartan (pattern still to be decided)
If you don't have a family tartan, there are many to pick from. However, since this is a summer jacket, you may want to pick one of the cotton tartan linings that Aero offers for no upcharge: http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=2187
  • Zipper: Talon in chrome, round ends (like the original Buco)
These do look much nicer than the Aero "ball and chain" style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch