Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help needed with big model shoot

laurenbateman

New in Town
Hi Dolls,really glad im finally a member of the fedora lounge,thank you for having me. Basically i have a large shoot on saturday and im trying to perfect this style of hair do.I have uploaded some pics, I have all the basics,pincurl clips{very old style]fingerwave clips,good setting lotion,hairspray...ect...

I have talked to many a person about how to do this,some say rollers,some say hot sticks,some say fingerwaves. i tried pin curls but that left me with more of a tight curl look,even when i brushed them out.any help is really needed,this shoot is on saturday!!!! cheers kittens xoxo

ditahair.jpg

DitaVonTese.jpg

ditafree-030.jpg

christina-06-mtv.jpg

As precise instructions as poss if you can ...xoxoxoxoxxo:)

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Hey Lauren, I've achieved a similar look using regular hot rollers (the bigger ones). I set my hair in the hot rollers and then brush, brush and brush. When you like it, STOP brushing. It will only get flatter and keep changing. Apply a bit of shine serum and hairspray. I love doing this because it's so easy and looks really good. My hair length is mid-upper-arm-ish. If your hair is much shorter I would recommend setting your hair in barrel curls like this:
http://revampvintage.com/images/hair-30s-brushcurl.jpg
There is more info on this in the pin-curl forum.
You can use a marker or a brush handle to make the barrel curls. Finding the right size 'tube' is just a process of trial and error.
To get the waves again, brush out the curls until you like it. Use shine serum and a comb to smooth out and define the waves. You can probably put your wave clips in these waves to set the hair further, at least so it stays until the shoot. Good luck!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I belong to the Dita messageboards, and I know she said she uses only hot rollers and hot sticks, no sort of wet set/pin-curling methods. It certainly depends on your hair type and the products you use, but I've only managed to get Clara Bow poofy hair out of pin curls, never soft waves.

For me, hot sticks would be the easiest way to achieve that sort of hairdo. I'm still totally incapable of getting uniform waves, but maybe someday I will!

laurenbateman

New in Town
I have had a look through quite a few posts now,all the Dita ones, I tried the hot sticks like ditas forum suggests,i just end up with curly ends to my hair,which is very pretty,and quite vintage,but not THAT look,lol. Every time ive used rollers I just end up with volumey hair,not waves,gosh this is so flipping hard xoxo

laurenbateman

New in Town
had to post ,this late in the morning,lol,I have spent the last few hours with hot sticks,and I think.....ive got it.I was thinking about the basic form of a wave ,like an S shape,so tried winding one hot stick ends of hair over and roller upwards BUT only half way,then took another hot stick and rolled the rest up to the root,the opposite way i rolled the first,hope that makes sense...so ,I ended up with that large S Dita look!! I tried something stupid and it ended up working,lol,I think it must be all about practicing,tightness,different roll techniques ect....failing this,im gonna go knock on the old ladies house next door,surely she will know xoxo

leaette

A-List Customer
I don't know if this is possible with hot rollers/sticks, but my aunt is a beautician. and we were talking about perms and how to get that perfect S wave. she said they were taught to use a smaller roller for the first part of the perm. and then after that was all done, you re-roll your hair in larger rollers. and that's how you get an S wave in a perm.
maybe try that with rollers?

laurenbateman

New in Town
hey doll,do ya mean rolling the hair with the small rollers,then takeing them out and re rolling the previous rolled hair with a larger roller the same way you rolled the last? xoxo

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
laurenbateman said:
i just end up with curly ends to my hair,which is very pretty,and quite vintage,but not THAT look,lol. Every time ive used rollers I just end up with volumey hair,not waves,gosh this is so flipping hard xoxo

You will end up with mostly curly ends unless you have layers in your hair. All-over wave is very difficult, if not near impossible, without some layers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy