Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London Ladies-Urgent Help Needed

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Hi Chickees,

I have a dandy friend on another website who would like to purchase his lady some outfits for her birthday on 1/13. He is in London and needs shopping advise, not necessarily vintage but elegant, classy style.

So here is the scoop on is lady---I have consolidated the info from a couple of posts for ease in understand as I felt what he said needed a lot of clarification:

She is a petite woman that fits into a slender size 10 (UK). She has Mediterranean hips, long wavy mousy blonde hair, brown eyes, and fair to olive complexion. Her sensibilities tend towards the liberal and passionate rather than the refined and classical. Think sexy and sophisticated rather than formal and stuffy.

I need help in finding good places to shop for womens clothing in London. All my attempts so far have been met with dire failure. All my attempts to find clothing for her ends up with me looking at clothing that is a) vulgar and mannish, b) purely functional, c) suitable for girls that want to be women (or women who wish they were still girls) or d) designed for crossdressers.

Please help me in my hour of despair by telling me where in London can I find elegant and womanly attire for my better half?

"She is a petite woman" = how tall is she?
This phrase "slender size 10 (UK)." and this phrase "She has Mediterranean hips" are confusing. Slender sounds less than blessed through the bust, while merditerranean hips makes me assume curvy, possibly wide hips, what are you really saying here?

I believe shes is about 5'3". She has a small bust, tiny waist, and wide hips. Her actual dress size is slightly smaller than size 10. But she prefers looser fitting clothing. I did not mean to confuse. It's just that I didn't think that saying her dress size alone would be very helpful and a more complete picture would be produced by attempting to describe her shape.

"long wavy mousy blonde hair" ...mousy is not an appealling adjective, how about just "dark blonde" I like dark blonde. Let's go with that.

What sort of outfits are you thinking of? Going out? Work wear? Weekend casual? Does she prefer dresses or slacks? Are you trying to introduce her to some new styles?

I would like to buy her something for going out, something for her social and/or country club, and perhaps something casual to wear during cozy evenings at home.

She's very openminded about what she wears. This makes it difficult to say whether she prefers slacks or dresses. Perhaps the best way to describe her taste in clothing would be "appropriate to the occasion. E.g. she'll put on jeans for walking her dog but wouldn't dream of wearing them to a function. If it will be of any help I can tell you that texture is important to her.

What does she do for a living? How old is she?
She can afford not to work for money so she spends a lot of her time volunteering at various charity organizations.
She will be 30 on the 13th of this month.

And so Londons sisters....any suggestions for him would be most appreciated and I doubt that the financial aspect would be of too much concern for him. Thanks in advance for your help!

VintagePie

New in Town
Tea For Two at Harrods sounds divine!

I hope I can be of some assistance. Haven't been to London for years, but I think that LIBERTY (as in Liberty of London) might be a good place for your gentleman friend to start. I believe it is located in the Kensington district, not too far from Harrod's...if my sense of recall is still functioning.

I remember so many nice little non-corporate shops in London, where one could buy a lovely cashmere sweater in a yummy color, soft pretty blouses and scarves. I think there were some nice shops in Sloane Square, as well. Good luck to your friend...may the London Ladies come calling soon!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Liberty is near to Oxford Circus tube station, which is not particularly near Harrods, but is very easy to get to.

They do indeed have lovely things in there and they aren't cheap but a beautiful scarf is always a nice gift. They do have quite a choice of other items too.

Sorry that I can't think of any other shops to suggest. I have been very disappointed lately in my visits to shops regarding clothing.

Just buy vintage instead, I say!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21