Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help selecting next leather jacket

minisoda

Familiar Face
It's been just under a year since I picked up an Alexander Roadster in seal jerky HH. Absolutely love the color, smell, style and everything about this jacket. My only complaint is that I wish it was a bit longer.

For my next jacket, I want something with a more relaxed fit and casual style. The long half belt style is close, but just a little too fitted and formal. I can't wear much more than a light long sleeve shirt without feeling too tight. A thick sweater, for instance, wouldn't work well. The Indy style jackets might work, but I haven't found one that I love.

Would love something that gets well weathered over time and would be comfortable trudging through the woods, splitting wood, or running to the store.

Let's hear your suggestions!

LouisBailie

Banned
I got this one in steerhide and it is a great all around coat/jacket.

Herc.jpg
herc1.jpg

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A LHB shouldn't be restrictive if the sizing's right. It's a 50's style and isn't tight at all. I think I know what you mean by "formal," but the word "neat" might also be used for it, particularly when zipped up.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I agree with Bob. If you get the right size you'll be fine. You may wish to consider a lighter leather - I am not crazy about the FQHH many here like, it can feel tight because of the weight and stiffness. A mid weight horse might be better. You mention a LHB looking formal. I don't see that. It's one of the classic casual jackets. I like them but for me I would get rid of the pockets with the flaps. To me they spoil the look, I prefer a cleaner style and back in the day you could get them with just the slant pockets. Clooney wears a fantastic period one in Leathernecks. I don't carry anything much with me generally so pockets are not my thing at the best of times.

Al do some great longer styles you could customise.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Aero's current offering in the FQHH isn't heavy; it is only a 3 oz. leather. My size 44 Sheene comes in at 4.5 lbs, which I consider a mid-weight HH jacket. Are they stiff? Yes, initially, but break in is relatively easy. I don't think you would find the current Aero FQHH to be a heavy jacket, especially as you have past experience with HH.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
In my experience anything over 2.5oz is heavy and uncomfortable - the FQHH especially. But I also have a nice soft 3oz cowhide by Johnson Leathers which I never wear because the weight is annoying. But this stuff is personal - I know of others who enjoy wearing 4oz leather. I wouldn't even consider it.

Isn't Al's jerky HH a lighter hide at 2.25oz?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21