Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with A2 Flight Jacket

timoshenko

New in Town
Hi all,

I've been looking at these three jackets:

http://www.acejackets.com/Fighting_Falcon_A_2_USAF_Leather_Flight_Jacket_p/lffa2.htm

and

http://www.uswings.com/ta2.asp (the first and second jackets listed)

I'm wondering, in your opinions, which is the best quality, are these sites to be trusted? as there are no decent UK/Ire shops where I can get the same price on A2's

Also, I'm 6foot6 and quite slim, I've never wore a jacket like this before, do you think the style would suit, or would the look a bit silly on me, due to my height?

Many Thanks,

Tim

Gene

Practically Family
Despite what many A-2 snobs will tell you, US Authentic jackets have improved their authenticity greatly over the years. I got mine and I have NEVER gotten a negative comment, not even from stitch-nazi Army Air Force reenactors...nothing but positive things!

timoshenko

New in Town
Thanks for the help guys!

I'm liking the jackets on flightsuits, I don't really like the one on flightjacket!

I'm size 46, so great, as flightsuits have a civil A-2 in my size on sale, its a seal brown, which I think I like, I'll have to look up some more to get a feel for the colour!

Thanks again, and you don't think it would look silly on a 6 foot 6 lad? I just love the style they're amazing, and never go out of fashion, and last for ages aparently.

Kid Mac

Practically Family
Tim,

Flightsuits (Gibson and Barnes) makes a good quality product, but FS jackets do tend to run big. You mention you are slim. You might want to contact them and ask for the measurements of different marked sized (e.g. 46, 44), especially chest and length.

Cheers,

Mac

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Gene said:
Despite what many A-2 snobs will tell you, US Authentic jackets have improved their authenticity greatly over the years. I got mine and I have NEVER gotten a negative comment, not even from stitch-nazi Army Air Force reenactors...nothing but positive things!

I'm a "stitch nazi" and I have a US Authentic jacket and I love it. Great jacket, handmade, good quality and good details for the price. I have no qualms about recommending them.

Gene

Practically Family
fortworthgal said:
I'm a "stitch nazi" and I have a US Authentic jacket and I love it. Great jacket, handmade, good quality and good details for the price. I have no qualms about recommending them.

Hiya Fortworthgal, it's the glider guy from the WWII forum!

Yes the US Authentic jackets have been brought down upon by some websites (namely the "comprehensive" A2 jacket snob page acmedepot.com) but I have never, ever, even under closest inspection from the AAF stitch nazis gotten a bad comment. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good jacket at 1/4 the price of Eastman.

Gene

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Chiming in with fortworthgal...

As I've said here many times, US Authentic's goatskin model ($314) is by far the best buy out there in a repro WWII A-2. No, it doesn't really compete authenticity-wise with a jacket costing two or three times as much... but would you actually expect it to?!? Still, it's vastly better than any other alleged repro under $400 - the wool knits and cotton lining alone far outclass anything you'll get from US Wings, Legendary USA, etc.

(It's true that Gibson & Barnes current-spec USAF and Civil A-2s are a step up from the mainstream. I've got a couple of their jackets. Very nice, but I HATE the plastic-like Dacron lining and "textured" nylon kits that are scratchy and fuzzy. Too bad you have to go up into the $500+ range for their superior Historical models.)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Gene said:
Yes the US Authentic jackets have been brought down upon by some websites (namely the "comprehensive" A2 jacket snob page acmedepot.com)...

Also... isn't that page at least 3 years old? The last "new updates" I see are 2006. Not exactly the most up to date... lol

kasa7

Familiar Face
I got my A2 horsehide seal brown from US Authentic, last year, and I just can say: It's a GREAT jacket. Excellent handmade work. Highly recommend.

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
I got a US Wings A-2 2000 in goatskin about a year ago. For $195.00 it's a heck of a jacket. Not 100% WWII accurate but it's close enough for me, and it wears like iron. Still looks new after a year of heavy use.
Regards,
Forrestal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner