Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with An everday carry bag option

ProfCharles

New in Town
Heya all,

I tend to lug around lots of stuff on a daily basis. I'm not as premeditated as many are with their daily activities. I would have my 9" tablet, a book, my small moleskine journal, a pen and highlighter, and sometimes a bottle of water. I used to carry this stuff in hand, which was annoying as hell, and yes I do make use of each item throughout the day, especially my journal as thoughts and ideas come randomly popping into my head. A few months ago I switched to using plastic bags, but they've become unreliable (they rip and stretch) and look bad.

I have a Saddleback leather Large satchel that I use when I go to work, which carries all the above mentioned, plus textbooks and papers being graded, and a pouch with all my chalk, markers, presentation tools.

I'm a leather Junkie, so immediately thought about getting the small satchel from Saddleback (because they are truly awesome bags) It would work whether I'm in a suit or jeans. My concern however is that it may be too heavy for my needs.

My alternative is http://www.zappos.com/ogio-module-ii-messenger-blue?zfcTest=fcl%3A0
It's much lighter and MUCH cheaper, but isn't quite as attractive, and may not go as well with suits and in my experience will likely fray and rip. I'm not a fan of zippers.

Any suggestions that would help me make up my mind?

Thanks

Feraud

Bartender
Large leather bags tend to be heavy before you load it up with stuff..
I received this Filson for Father's Day and use it every day.
filson_tote.png

ProfCharles

New in Town
Thanks a great bag Feraud, and a Filson, great fathers day gift.

I used to carry an MK VII but the color and style didn't really suit my wardrobe. I would also prefer having a shoulder strap to sling across my chest. Need those hands free.

I've used a leather backpack from The Village Tannery in NYC for 18 years, and it's my everyday go-to.
It looks better now than when I bought it! Their bags are made by them and carry a lifetime guarantee. I've had mine fixed a few times as the straps came loose, or a quick release buckle broke. The only charge has been return shipping.
Mine has travelled the world, and will continue to do so for many years to come. I highly recommend them for leather bags, satchels, etc. They will even customize items.
Mine is the Large Electra. I'm not sure if they still produce this bag, but I'm sure they have the pattern in the workshop.

tonypaj

Practically Family
I'd choose this one (well I have one..).

http://www.chapmanbags.com/men/shop-by-collection/chapman-original/the-professor.html#

For more space, there's this, a bit small for my weekend needs, but might be an option for you:

http://www.chapmanbags.com/men/shop-by-collection/chapman-original/huntsman.html#

Your needs dealt with :), I'm still waiting for someone to give me a choice to replace my Ghurka Express for weekend or carry on needs... For you, Ghurka makes smaller, nice bags, kind of costly though.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I picked up a Coach messenger bag several years ago when they first came out with them. A little pricey then, but twelve years later I'm still using it every work-day. I teach at a college, so I'm always lugging around books, notebooks, pens, newspapers, etc. I've seen them on the bay for pretty reasonable prices. Good luck.

stevew443

One of the Regulars

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The saddleback satchel is a lovely looking thing but too heavy and uncomfortable to carry and you've got to buckle up constantly. Annoying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran