Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with hat bulk

Rabben

New in Town
Recently I got a stain on my new wool fedora. I cleaned it with a wet towel. And when the spot dried it seemed to have shrinked a little bit, because now I have i small "bulk" on the edge of the brim. Is there anyway to fix this? Do I have to steam the whole hat to make it shrink evenly?[huh]

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Rabben said:
Recently I got a stain on my new wool fedora. I cleaned it with a wet towel. And when the spot dried it seemed to have shrinked a little bit, because now I have i small "bulk" on the edge of the brim. Is there anyway to fix this? Do I have to steam the whole hat to make it shrink evenly?[huh]
Well, your English is certainly better than my Norwegian (which is non-existent), but I think the word you're looking for is "bulge." As for what to do about it, I'm too new to hats to know, but I'm sure someone does here.

Rabben

New in Town
I've heard that norwegian is a hard language to learn. And that it sounds terrible too.lol
But does anyone know what to do about my "bulge"?

RBH

Bartender
Rabben said:
I've heard that norwegian is a hard language to learn. And that it sounds terrible too.lol
But does anyone know what to do about my "bulge"?
Witout seeing it.. I say wet it very well and put something flat and heavy on it. A few books or something similar.

Good luck!
And if you can take some photos and show us what you do to correct this problem.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Rabben

Try to gently and progressively steam your hat. If done properly it should cause no more harm to your lid.

Who knows it may work for you.

Please post a picture. You may have to consider sending it to be done professionally.

Rabben

New in Town
I may be a perfectionist wanting to fix this. Because it's not a major problem. But because the hat is made of wool felt, will the whole hat shrink if it gets steamed to much? Or do I just have to be careful about steaming only the brim?

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
To effect a repair to a dented hat, first of all boil a kettle over a gas or electric ring, do not use an electric kettle as you will need a constant supply of steam and ensure the kettle does not boil dry. When the kettle is steaming freely, turn down the heat just enough to keep steam coming out of the spout with a little force.

Position the affected area over the jet of steam and allow it to penetrate the straw or felt, keep moving the hat around in order that the heat and steam spreads evenly in and around the material. Remove the hat from the steam after about 20-30 seconds and quickly push out the dent or rework the shape with the fingers, blow on the repaired patch to cool it and the material will stiffen. Do not overdo the steaming as you can distort the hat, especially if you are working on a sharp edge or fine detail, try not to "overwork" any area and work in small stages

This may work it may work for you. I was not talking about the entire hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou