Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with identifying a Buco (?) jacket

Bingo's SMG

New in Town
Hi All,
I had a client who has consigned this jacket with me, and I'm having a heck of a time identifying and authenticating it. He has had it for 30-40 years . It has a Buco horsehide tag and the white inside tag. The blue tag's sewing is not crisp and runs thru the name, additionally its not sewn on the edges.

Also the jacket does not have snaps on the shoulder straps, nor is there a "D pocket". I know the belt buckle is an add on and believe some of the brushed metal pieces are also add ons.

I can't find any other Buco's that look like this one so I'm hoping somebody with knowledge can bring me to the learning tree on this jacket.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Bingo
Bingo's Swap Meet Garage

Attachments

• IMG_3898.jpg
    IMG_3898.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3899.jpg
    IMG_3899.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3906.jpg
    IMG_3906.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3908.jpg
    IMG_3908.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_3909.jpg
    IMG_3909.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 119
Looks like some kind of JH-1. Is this jacket for sure made of leather? Has the appearance of polyurethane, which would explain raw pocket edges and lack of piping.

Bingo's SMG

New in Town
Looks like some kind of JH-1. Is this jacket for sure made of leather? Has the appearance of polyurethane, which would explain raw pocket edges and lack of piping.
Thanks for weighing in. The consignor makes custom motorcycle seats in leather & exotics so I believe it to be leather. My concern is in the sloppy Buco blue tag, it makes me think it could have been relined, but the white tag seems original.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Buco J-71. It is possible that the jacket has been butchered and then somewhat restored by someone who hoped to resell it at a better price.
1) shoulder straps removed then put back on (it could be a J-65 which has no shoulder strap originally but are added on)
2) belt buckle replaced or even the whole belt cut then put back on
3) original Buco brand tag gone (this model usually seen with 2nd gen Buco tag) then seller found a later year Buco tag and put it on.

Bingo's SMG

New in Town
Buco J-71. It is possible that the jacket has been butchered and then somewhat restored by someone who hoped to resell it at a better price.
1) shoulder straps removed then put back on (it could be a J-65 which has no shoulder strap originally but are added on)
3) original Buco brand tag gone (this model usually seen with 2nd gen Buco tag) then seller found a later year Buco tag and put it on.
Thank you, I see the similarities to the J-71 but the one I have has no snap on the back lower section and the ones I can find do, any thought on that. I appreciate you taking the time to weigh in.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

The way the shoulder epaulettes are attached is super weird, i have never seen that, it's like they didn't top stitch the shoudler seam under the strap.

Blackadder

Thank you, I see the similarities to the J-71 but the one I have has no snap on the back lower section and the ones I can find do, any thought on that. I appreciate you taking the time to weigh in.
As said, your Buco seem to have been modified/restored after modification. Not just the belt buckle, even the belt seems an add on job. Here is a J-71 owned by a fellow lounger and you can see the lower back is clean with french seam. The one you have has a piece of leather simply sewed on to the back. A snap or a hole may be there. You may have to just feel through it with your fingers. Sorry can't be more help as it is difficult to check from photo short of taking it apart.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/five-bucos.105137/
25E94515-ACBD-4CC5-8D89-6B1B42946659_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

Blackadder

The way the shoulder epaulettes are attached is super weird, i have never seen that, it's like they didn't top stitch the shoudler seam under the strap.
Yes. As said the jacket has been butchered or that it simply did not have epaulet to start with i.e. a J-65.

The lack of piping around the zippers is odd. I’ve not seen that on any Buco. I suppose if they were replaced the piping could have been removed. But why? Lots of oddities in this jacket.

Blackadder

Everything on this jacket looks off.

Besides what has already been mentioned, you can see that the front zipper has been replaced...badly.

View attachment 416760

You can also see the the leather has been cut and those belt loops were added.

View attachment 416762
Much clearer now. Just as I guess, a previous owner removed everything and then someone tried to restore it probably according to photos of another original.

jeo

One Too Many
Much clearer now. Just as I guess, a previous owner removed everything and then someone tried to restore it probably according to photos of another original.
You're probably right. To me it looks as if the front two panels were replaced. Maybe the sleeves too. The only leather original to the jacket just based off the photos provided looks to be the main (top) back panel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana