Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help With Location In Vintage Family Photo

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
This picture was in my Grandmother's photo album. The man on the right is my Grandfather who died in 1935. We believe this picture was taken while in the Los Angles area. Does anyone recognize the buildings in the background?

Thanks,

Les

Leaning.jpg

Flivver

Practically Family
This is a long shot, but the buildings in the background look like those in the 1915 Panama-Pacific Exposition in San Francisco.

And the clothing looks mid-teens to me also...but I'm sure there are others here more knowledgeable on clothing than I am.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The 1915 Panama-Pacific Exposition in San Francisco was the first thing that came to my mind as well. Are there any other photos similar to this that may hold additional clues?

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
There are a couple of more; but they seem to be in the same vicinity. One of them was a close-up of the faces so you can tell if it's Walt or not...

This is part of a family mystery. My Grandfather died in 1935 and we know very little about him. My Dad's older brother has one memory of him and everyone that would have known him is long since gone. The photo album was discovered a few months ago and it's been a jackpot except everything we find just leads to more and more questions.

It could very well be San Francisco. We know for a fact they were in Los Angeles in 1927 and they traveled a great deal.

Thanks for your input,

Les

GrandmotherCouple.jpg

grandmotherandgrandfather-1.jpg

GRCoupleCloseup.jpg

location.jpg

Big Man

After a little quick reading up on the 1915 Panama-Pacific Exposition in San Francisco, it would appear that almost all the buildings were torn down immediately after the fair closed (they were designed to be "temporary"). As your photos appear to be later than 1915, they probabally weren't taken at the Exposition grounds.

So, back to square one?

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
Like I said earlier ... every bit of information leads to more questions.

In the album there are pictures of entire city blocks destroyed. I started searching for information on earth quakes from when they were in California. Turns out is was a tornado in Saint Louis. They were in Los Angeles when Lindbergh flew across the Atlantic in May and by Sept they were in Saint Louis. They travelled a lot. Thanks for helping rule out the San Francisco idea.

Square One it is....

Big Man

Les Gillis said:
... Thanks for helping rule out the San Francisco idea ...

I wouldn't necessarally rule it out, it's just that my (very limited) guess would be it's not. I would readily defer to someone (actually, anyone) who has more knowledge on San Francisco than me.

Those "city block destruction" photos would be nice to see ... (hint, hint)

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
Big Man said:
I wouldn't necessarally rule it out, it's just that my (very limited) guess would be it's not. I would readily defer to someone (actually, anyone) who has more knowledge on San Francisco than me.

Those "city block destruction" photos would be nice to see ... (hint, hint)

Here's one from Saint Louis.

SaintLouis.jpg

If you look you can see the same partial building in the pictures on the following link:

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/mo/county/stlouis/weather/1927tornado.htm

I still have more pics of the dog and more cars....

Les

Taggert

Familiar Face
Ya know I have 0 idea of where those were taken but it has got my curiosity peaked. I'm going to keep a close eye on this thread. I will also ask my grandfather and his friends of they recognize any of these buildings.

Big Man

Les Gillis said:
This picture was in my Grandmother's photo album. The man on the right is my Grandfather who died in 1935. We believe this picture was taken while in the Los Angles area. Does anyone recognize the buildings in the background? ...

I know it wasn't answered in this thread, but did you ever find out anything about the location of the picture?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, I'm sure that's not Walt Disney, lots of men had that style of mustache in those dats. And from the women's clothes, I'd peg in mid 20's. That doesn't really narrow it down much tho.

texasgirl

One Too Many
In case anyone is still curious... we did find out this was in St Louis at Forest Park. Mystery solved :)

I had organized the pictures, so they disappeared, but here are a couple
Leaning.jpg

GrandmotherCouple.jpg

GRCoupleCloseup.jpg

Big Man

texasgirl said:
In case anyone is still curious... we did find out this was in St Louis at Forest Park. Mystery solved :)

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you finally found out where the pictures were taken. Is there an interesting story of how you discovered the location?

texasgirl

One Too Many
After some phone calls, it seems my husband had it narrowed down to probably Forest Park. And then my parents came over one day when we had my in-laws family over. We had the photos out, and my dad knew exactly where it was. Both of my parents grew up in St. Louis and and I lived there until I was 10. I've actually been there as a child, but I don't remember it. I guess we need to go back and try to take some photos in our vintage clothes, that would be fun. :)

Big Man

texasgirl said:
... I guess we need to go back and try to take some photos in our vintage clothes, that would be fun. :)

Yes, "then and now" photos would be interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy