Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Mac Lachlan hat please

alfert

New in Town
Great Granddad's hat! I'm helping my in-laws finally move some things along. Father-in-law calls this a fedora, which is why I'm here! I've googled the number in the brim but nothing so far. I'd like to know what the proper name of this hat is so I can get it moving along to a new home with someone who will appreciate and / or wear it. Oh, and also: is this sort of hat meant to be worn as it, or does the wearer smoosh the top into the shape they like? Just curious. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230401_100359.jpg
    20230401_100359.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
  • 20230401_100413.jpg
    20230401_100413.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • 20230401_100535.jpg
    20230401_100535.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 67
  • 20230401_100637.jpg
    20230401_100637.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
  • 20230402_174552.jpg
    20230402_174552.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
  • 20230402_174558.jpg
    20230402_174558.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 48
  • 20230402_174628.jpg
    20230402_174628.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • 20230402_174819.jpg
    20230402_174819.jpg
    834.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230402_174834.jpg
    20230402_174834.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great Granddad's hat! I'm helping my in-laws finally move some things along. Father-in-law calls this a fedora, which is why I'm here! I've googled the number in the brim but nothing so far. I'd like to know what the proper name of this hat is so I can get it moving along to a new home with someone who will appreciate and / or wear it. Thanks!
It's a very nice hat that is most often called a Homburg. I can't tell from the pictures whether it's navy blue or black. Black is much more common. It's a larger size which is nice. I would think it's from the 50s but could be late 40s.

alfert

New in Town
It's a very nice hat that is most often called a Homburg. I can't tell from the pictures whether it's navy blue or black. Black is much more common. It's a larger size which is nice. I would think it's from the 50s but could be late 40s.
It's black!

Great Granddad's hat! I'm helping my in-laws finally move some things along. Father-in-law calls this a fedora, which is why I'm here! I've googled the number in the brim but nothing so far. I'd like to know what the proper name of this hat is so I can get it moving along to a new home with someone who will appreciate and / or wear it. Thanks!

Nice hat.

Great Granddad's hat! I'm helping my in-laws finally move some things along. Father-in-law calls this a fedora, which is why I'm here! I've googled the number in the brim but nothing so far. I'd like to know what the proper name of this hat is so I can get it moving along to a new home with someone who will appreciate and / or wear it. Oh, and also: is this sort of hat meant to be worn as it, or does the wearer smoosh the top into the shape they like? Just curious. Thanks!

Nice homburg. You’ve already received the pertinent details. Traditionally, most homburgs were worn with a simple crease down the top of the crown running front to back. We call the is gutter crease. You can add side dents, similar to a those often found in a fedora, if you want. The homburg is a semi-formal hat and pairs well with smart business attire and dinner suits/jackets. The next step up in formality (the last step) is a top hat. Today, many wear homburgs paired with less formal attire.

Normally, homburgs don’t sell for as much as fedoras and black doesn’t sell for as much as the other colors such as gray and brown. However, larger sizes, such as your hat at 7 ½, tend to sell for more that smaller sizes. I’m sure you won’t have any trouble finding a buyer if you want to sell it and you price it right.

Here’s a thread on homburgs:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/homburg-nation.35848/page-186

alfert

New in Town
Nice homburg. You’ve already received the pertinent details. Traditionally, most homburgs were worn with a simple crease down the top of the crown running front to back. We call the is gutter crease. You can add side dents, similar to a those often found in a fedora, if you want. The homburg is a semi-formal hat and pairs well with smart business attire and dinner suits/jackets. The next step up in formality (the last step) is a top hat. Today, many wear homburgs paired with less formal attire.

Normally, homburgs don’t sell for as much as fedoras and black doesn’t sell for as much as the other colors such as gray and brown. However, larger sizes, such as your hat at 7 ½, tend to sell for more that smaller sizes. I’m sure you won’t have any trouble finding a buyer if you want to sell it and you price it right.

Here’s a thread on homburgs:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/homburg-nation.35848/page-186

Thanks! I was stumped because all the fedoras I'm familiar with have creases. Little did I realize that the wearer creases the hat to their taste. I'm a lady who's never worn a hat in her life. ;)

As for pricing it right, welp on that front I have absolutely no idea. Sounds like you're in the know, would you have a suggestion? And where's the best place to sell this hat, ebay?

Really appreciate all the help!

Thanks! I was stumped because all the fedoras I'm familiar with have creases. Little did I realize that the wearer creases the hat to their taste. I'm a lady who's never worn a hat in her life. ;)

As for pricing it right, welp on that front I have absolutely no idea. Sounds like you're in the know, would you have a suggestion? And where's the best place to sell this hat, ebay?

Really appreciate all the help!

During the golden era of men’s hats, of which your Mac Lachlan belongs, the better hats came “open crown” and the owners shaped them and reshaped them as they desired. The felt was much better then and shaping them was easy.

eBay is the best place. It charges a bit, but I think it’s reasonable and you get it out to the largest audience. You might see if our biggest resident Mac Lachlan collector might save you the trouble and make an offer. I’m sure he’ll see this post soon @drmaxtejeda is a great guy…but I’m not sure if a black homburg will be his cup of tea?

If you list this on eBay I’d recommend that you include lots of high quality photos, describe it well (so the right people will see it when searching), and ship it is a box that keeps shipping fees reasonable (it will easily and safely fit in a box the measures 14X14X6 inches and weighs less than 2 pounds and will ship anywhere in the US for $17.20 or less using USPS Priority Mail). I can’t tell you how often hats don’t sell because the shipping is ridiculous expensive because sellers don’t use the right size box.

Good luck.

alfert

New in Town
During the golden era of men’s hats, of which your Mac Lachlan belongs, the better hats came “open crown” and the owners shaped them and reshaped them as they desired. The felt was much better then and shaping them was easy.

eBay is the best place. It charges a bit, but I think it’s reasonable and you get it out to the largest audience. You might see if our biggest resident Mac Lachlan collector might save you the trouble and make an offer. I’m sure he’ll see this post soon @drmaxtejeda is a great guy…but I’m not sure if a black homburg will be his cup of tea?

If you list this on eBay I’d recommend that you include lots of high quality photos, describe it well (so the right people will see it when searching), and ship it is a box that keeps shipping fees reasonable (it will easily and safely fit in a box the measures 14X14X6 inches and weighs less than 2 pounds and will ship anywhere in the US for $17.20 or less using USPS Priority Mail). I can’t tell you how often hats don’t sell because the shipping is ridiculous expensive because sellers don’t use the right size box.

Good luck.

I know exactly what you mean about shipping. I sell on ebay and etsy already, so we should be good there. Should I retain the tartan hatbox, would someone want it do you think? It holds the hat well, so I figured I'd at least mail the hat in it's box, inside another box.

Found a 1959 stamped piece of an envelope tucked into the inside with grandpappy's name on it. No idea if that's when the hat was made, just when he thought he'd tuck in some identifying details.

I know exactly what you mean about shipping. I sell on ebay and etsy already, so we should be good there. Should I retain the tartan hatbox, would someone want it do you think? It holds the hat well, so I figured I'd at least mail the hat in it's box, inside another box.

Found a 1959 stamped piece of an envelope tucked into the inside with grandpappy's name on it. No idea if that's when the hat was made, just when he thought he'd tuck in some identifying details.

It’s always best to keep the original hat box with the hat. Sometimes I’ll ask that the box not be included if the dimensions are too big and the shipping balloons.

Your hat is very nice and I’d expect it to get a lot of interest. The brand is very desirable, although not as well known as other makers. The size is your ace as it’s hard to find nice vintage hats in the larger sizes. If it was two sizes larger I’d make you an offer myself. :)

alfert

New in Town
It’s always best to keep the original hat box with the hat. Sometimes I’ll ask that the box not be included if the dimensions are too big and the shipping balloons.

Your hat is very nice and I’d expect it to get a lot of interest. The brand is very desirable, although not as well known as other makers. The size is your ace as it’s hard to find nice vintage hats in the larger sizes. If it was two sizes larger I’d make you an offer myself. :)

Oh, you wear and even larger hat? And here I was thinking that the gents in this family had the largest heads going. My husband has continued the line of always finding hats too small. He's not a formal hat wearer, I just mean even for caps.

Would you take a stab at a price, if you're comfortable? Sounds like you're well familiar with these hats. My father-in-law will love to hear all this detail about the hat, and I sure appreciate all the info. What a wonderful forum this is!

Oh, you wear and even larger hat? And here I was thinking that the gents in this family had the largest heads going. My husband has continued the line of always finding hats too small. He's not a formal hat wearer, I just mean even for caps.

Would you take a stab at a price, if you're comfortable? Sounds like you're well familiar with these hats. My father-in-law will love to hear all this detail about the hat, and I sure appreciate all the info. What a wonderful forum this is!

The cork strips in your photos were/are a common way to reduce the size of a hat. At some point, the wearer of your hat decided it was too large a size and installed the cork reducers.

alfert

New in Town
The cork strips in your photos were/are a common way to reduce the size of a hat. At some point, the wearer of your hat decided it was too large a size and installed the cork reducers.

Well the hat sizes have just increased over the generations in this family it would seem. My husband fit into the hat, but he said wearing it for any length of time would be uncomfortable for him hahaha!

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

Good luck.
It's a beautiful hat, but I already have two black Mac Homburgs...
Thank you for telling me, though, Brent!

Woodandbike

New in Town
Hello all, I am new here and still learning to navigate the forum and attached threads. My question: I am trying to find information on this Maclachlon Fedora I recently purchased. It is Model #8002. Any idea when this hat was manufactured and what the current value may be? Or direct to a source where I can find this info. Thanks in advance. BTW, I paid $15 dollars for it.

Attachments

• 60A91F0A-BD21-4D87-84AD-CEA09EE3B4DE.jpeg
    60A91F0A-BD21-4D87-84AD-CEA09EE3B4DE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 54
  • 907AAE73-27A3-4F1B-8B7E-E7DB8C98A5A5.jpeg
    907AAE73-27A3-4F1B-8B7E-E7DB8C98A5A5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
  • 61EEE3FC-30B6-491B-A67F-59694A880B45.jpeg
    61EEE3FC-30B6-491B-A67F-59694A880B45.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
  • 7B3B951C-D027-49BA-BC19-4F413D51ED25.jpeg
    7B3B951C-D027-49BA-BC19-4F413D51ED25.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 56
  • 3B012A19-117A-42B8-ABAE-AE9CA23A81C9.jpeg
    3B012A19-117A-42B8-ABAE-AE9CA23A81C9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 50
  • BF18C79B-CC62-4D2F-A667-2CA2894BD752.jpeg
    BF18C79B-CC62-4D2F-A667-2CA2894BD752.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
  • 4E2D33A1-9FE9-4864-A05B-1EB58A6F8EBC.jpeg
    4E2D33A1-9FE9-4864-A05B-1EB58A6F8EBC.jpeg
    542.1 KB · Views: 53
Hello all, I am new here and still learning to navigate the forum and attached threads. My question: I am trying to find information on this Maclachlon Fedora I recently purchased. It is Model #8002. Any idea when this hat was manufactured and what the current value may be? Or direct to a source where I can find this info. Thanks in advance. BTW, I paid $15 dollars for it.

Looks 1960 or early ‘70s to me. This style is not particularly popular and doesn’t sell for much typically, but it looks great on you. You also won the hat size lottery if that’s your true hat size. Lucky dog. :)

Last edited:

Woodandbike

New in Town
Looks 1960 or early ‘70s to me. This style is not particularly popular and doesn’t sell for much typically, but it looks great on you. You also won the hat size lottery if that’s your true hat size. Lucky dob. :)
Thanks for the info, and yes, that is my head size. I am happy with it, and had no intent on reselling, but was curious. I have a couple vintage Stetsons and Resistol, and it seems easier to find info on those ones than this one.

Thanks for the info, and yes, that is my head size. I am happy with it, and had no intent on reselling, but was curious. I have a couple vintage Stetsons and Resistol, and it seems easier to find info on those ones than this one.

Mac Lachlan made some absolutely fantastic hats. Most of us here would love to be able to find more of them on the vintage market, but they just aren’t that common and they don’t pop up often. At your size you could amass a great vintage hat collection at bargain prices if you are so inclined.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/maclachlan-hats.24831/page-13

Woodandbike

New in Town

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff