Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with my hair please!

EmmaBushell

New in Town
I'm trying to grow my hair and ive managed to get it to almost at the base of my neck at the back and just under my jaw line at the front
however trying to style it into something like the 1940s or 30s is a nightmare for me because of the awkward length.

Any help would be wonderful and much appreciated!

Alice~

One of the Regulars
It sounds like a great length! Mine is just past my shoulders at the moment and I find it a bit too long. Of course, your hair type contributes towards what lengths are best, too. Mine is very thick and unwilling!

Have you tried vintage styling before? What methods are you using? :)

EmmaBushell

New in Town
my hair is rather thick and refuses to do what its told aswell! extremely annoying when it comes to trying to style it!

Ive tried pin curling but my hair and its length refuse to let it look nice! at the moment its more of a pin one side back or do a wartime headscarf but as you can imagine its getting very boring indeed!

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
There are lots of threads here that have discussed many of the problems it seems like you are having. Try searching the terms for "setting lotion" and "pin curls." Here are a couple threads to get you started:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...out-pin-curls-enough.-.-.&highlight=pin+curls

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?43375-The-Middy-Thread&highlight=pin+curls

I have hair just past my shoulders too and never have a problem with sets as long as I am using setting lotion. When my hair was short or a baby middy years back, I could pin curl with just water and not have an issue. The longer the hair is, the more difficult because of the weight. It sounds to me like you need to try a setting lotion with your pin curls.

Alice~

One of the Regulars
As Jane said, setting lotion is a bit of a must with longer hair. Also make sure your hair isn't too clean :)

If after trying some of the tips found in other pin curling threads you still can't get it to work, try a different method such as sponge rollers or perm rods. Practise is the most important thing - good luck!

Juliet

A-List Customer
If the tutorials posted by the ladies do not work, I 'd suggest the following:
- brush your pincurls out very thoroughly. If it takes a half an hour, than it takes a half an hour. Don't despair. Brush it out, then leave it while you have breakfast , then brush out again - it will look better!
Play around with different brushes. Maybe a wire brush is optimal for you, not the bristle brush.

- if your hair is very thick, you might want to consider having it thinned by your stylist. I believe, Miss Laurie (I'm so sorry, I don't remember the full nickname, but I'm sure she posted in the Middy thread) here had her hair thinned in order for it to be more manageable.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I have extremely thick, coarse, super straight hair that hates to be curled. Mine is about your length and that is the ideal length for me. It would help if you post pictures of some of your attempts. I am a hairstylist and actually do not recommend thinning the hair. Thinned out hair is much more difficult to curl with either pincurls or rollers. If you're just learning how to set your hair, all the different lengths are hard to control. Learning to set your hair takes time to learn and there will be mistakes, just keep trying. You are trying to master a skill. Pincurls are hard to master. Have you tried curlers? Curlers are easier, but getting used to sleeping in them takes time. One thing you didn't mention is whether or not you have layers. Long layers, toward the bottom are best. If you have no layers, all one length, the curl will drop. If you have shorter layers all over, you won't be able to brush out into waves. I just had more layers cut into mine, to cut off some color-damaged hair, and it ruined my styles. I can only do Victory rolls and a snood or scarf with the back.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
For me I find these bobby pins (US) (kirby grips UK term) http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Styling...1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337289605&sr=8-2-fkmr0 the easiest to do for my pin curls conair also sells a set like these also. I do not notice any dents and I cross them in an X shape over the whole pin curl and sleep on them with a slumber cap or a head scarf.

Yes, please post photos. We are here to help you step by step. And don't give up it does take time to get the full hang of pin curling your hair.
I agree with not thining your hair and if need be go for some long layers in your hair.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
I know most tutorials tell you to hair spray your whole hair after the brush out. Since I have thick hair when I follow this step it weighs down my hair and all the curl is a frizzy droopy mess. Instead I coat my fingers with a cream style pomade and separate the curls with my fingers and then brush out/shape the curl to the desired style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn