Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help!: Zeppelins, Dirigibles, Airships, etc.

BJonas

One of the Regulars
Can anyone recommend any good sites with info and pictures regarding airships, etc? I'm looking for something good and off the beaten path, something I may have overlooked while Google-ing and Wiki-ing the topic. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

BJonas

One of the Regulars
One of my main research questions:

Thanks a lot. Those are cool :eusa_clap

By the way, does anyone know if dirigibles could fly in stormy skies? Was it a common practice during the age of the airship? I've found one piece of info that said that they were calm and not affected by high winds and storms, and then I read about the theory of the Hindenberg flying through a storm and catching static electricity, possibly leading to it's well known demise. [huh]

This storm stuff is a major stumbling block of the Zeppelin research I'm trying to do. If anyone can help I would very much appreciate it.:)

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
I think high winds are bad for airships.

The Empire State Building was originally supposed to have an airship mooring on the top, but the high winds made it too dangerous, so it was turned into an observation deck.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Serial Hero said:

Just ask the Shenandoah, Akron, & Macon Dirigibles.

An interesting Dirigible to read up on:

Google the ZMC-2, the only metal clad Dirigible to fly.

LTA10G9.jpg

BJonas

One of the Regulars
Serial Hero said:

The Empire State Building was originally supposed to have an airship mooring on the top, but the high winds made it too dangerous, so it was turned into an observation deck.

I knew about that business with the mooring mast. I always thought that was kinda sad, like a symbol of the dream of airship-travel that helped cement it as just that- a dream. ('Scuse me, just feeling winsome and melancholy.)

But, at least it happened in "Sky Captain", right :eek:

CharlieH.

One Too Many

Absinthe_1900 said:
Just ask the Shenandoah, Akron, & Macon Dirigibles.

Don't forget the Los Angeles (Formerly ZR-3)!
While it was attached to a mooring mast at Lakehust, a gust of wind caught its tail and gave it a full 180 degree turn - vertically! Fortunately, it only suffered a few rips.

la18.jpg

And just for fun - colour pics of the Hindenburg!

HindenburgColour.jpg

hindenburg4.jpg

hindenburg3.jpg

hindenburg2.jpg

ltedge

New in Town
Airships

BJonas,

I went up to Lakehurst, NJ last year for training and learned a lot about the US Navy airships. There's a fantastic little museum in the old airship hangar that has lots of artifacts, photos, uniforms etc from the airship squadrons. There's also a memorial to the Hindenburg where the original mooring mast was. I actually met an old gentleman who served in several airship squadrons and was in fact one of the line handlers for the Hindenburg when it went down. He had some great stories.

Anyway, there is actually a Lakehurst Historical Society that serves to preserve the history of the airships. They have a website, http://www.nlhs.com/ that has some contact info. You may actually be able to talk/email with some of the people saw them in action. Hope this helps.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Not really, they've survived this long as they are.

If I really feel the need to do a model of these Zeppelins, I'd do them in plastic. it's a better medium.

Some years back Testors reissued the the old Hawk kit of the Graf Zeppelin. (Also as the Los Angeles) Now that Testors has sold all the old Hawk tooling to a group that is reviving Hawk, perhaps it may re-appear. http://www.hawkmodels.com/

AMT at one time did an Akron & Macon kit, as well as the Hindenburg back in the late 70's too.

Glencoe also has the old ITC tooling for the Navy Goodyear blimp, if you want to have a replica of other LTA craft.

Haversack

One Too Many
The old Nut Tree roadside restaurant and air strip on old Highway 40 used to have a 1/72nd scale model of the USS Macon and all of its Sparrowhawkss hanging from the ceiling of their bookstore. Now that the Nut Tree is being resurrected, I wonder if the model and all the early aviation theme the old place has will be brought back.

Haversack.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Zeppelins

The original Zeppelin factory at Freiderichshafen on der Bodensee (that's the huge lake visible in many pre-war photos of Zeppelins) is still producing airships. The Zeppelin museum there is well worth a visit and for around 300 Euros you can take a trip in the Graf Zeppelin 2 around the lake with great views of the towns unchanged since the 1930s. There are cheap flights from the UK.

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany