Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Henry Heath Silk Plush Top Hat

singlechange

One of the Regulars
My top hat made by Henry Heath arrived from the U.K. in record time to my doorstep in northern Virginia. I've been a forum member for a few years now and I finally made the plunge into toppers. I'm not even certain what drove me over the cliff like this but perhaps it had to do with Charlie Huang's blog entitled IN THE HIDDEN CLOUDS and Charlie sharing all his expertise about toppers with everyone. Somewhere in his blog Charlie says that the price of toppers is going up every year now so advises buying as soon as possible if you find one that fits you. Anyway, I came across this Henry Heath manufacture example listed for sale by a vintage store in Dorchester in the U.K. run by a pleasant owner named Richard, who said the topper was from 1920's and an estate find and had no other information but that it was in "stunning" condition with a "tatty" leather case. It wasn't the more coveted "EXtra Quality" model but the size seemed to fit my head so I made an offer and made the deal. The top hat is silk plush and semi bell curve shape and very light to wear called "town weight." When the package from the U.K. arrived and it was opened I couldn't believe the condition of the top hat because it looked so well kept for however long it remained in the leather case. A bit of research about Henry Heath revealed that the company was founded in the 1820's and up to 1931 was still advertising but I don't know when the company shut its doors due to the decline of hat-wearing. During its existence the Heath Company employed seventy persons and refused to sell to stores. A customer purchased direct at cash price at the factory on Oxford Street. So, I am now the very proud owner of the hat and it is soon headed to my good friend Mr. Vincent Corvelli inhttp://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/singlechange/ the Washington, D.C. metro area for cleaning and his evaluation. I can't wait to see his reaction to my recent acquisition. He says I've been lucky with my hat finds (perhaps he has something there because I gave him a unblocked Borsalino panama I found in a thrift store in his size too which he made his own: a change from working mostly on other people's hats) and I really enjoy our conversations about every piece I bring to him. It just really makes my week special.
Here's the PhotoBucket link for the photographs I took (I cleaned up the leather case with a ton of leather cream and polished the brass lock and rivets)

:http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/singlechange/

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
Congrats, that's a beautiful topper! There's nothing quite like the feeling of owning a well-preserved vintage silk plush topper, even if you only wear it out a few times a year. The 'extra quality' verses 'standard quality' stuff really shouldn't make much of a difference to the contemporary collector: any well-preserved silk plush top hat from that era is a treasure, and the one you got is no exception.

BTW I would say that the case is in relatively good shape. Great find!

Edit: Oh and you should invest in a hatbrush to keep it clean and a small velvet pillow to polish it after you dust the silk. The brushes can be had from various hatters, and Lock is the only one I know of which still sells the pillows.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran