Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Herbert Johnson Brooks Brothers Hat in... 7 5/8?

MattJH

One Too Many
I just stumbled upon an auction minutes after it was listed. Buy It Now + shipping = $33.00! The inside measurement is listed confidently as a 23 7/8" circumference, which would fit my 7 5/8 skull, but we'll see when I get it. I couldn't pass this one up, as my favorite hat I currently own is a Brooks Brothers hat, although it wasn't made by Herbert Johnson.

Anyone know anything about this hat, or hats sold by Brooks Brothers in general that were made by Herbert Johnson? Any ideas of the date of this hat? Etc. Can't wait to see this one in person! I feel like I just struck some very, very lucky gold.

brooks1.jpg

brooks2.jpg

brooks3.jpg

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's definitely an older hat as it has the older style markings. The pics I've seen of more modern BB hats have newer logo, etc. I'd say it's a pretty nice hat. If it turns out only to be a 7 3/8, though... ;)

Great buy!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hard to tell from the pictures, but it sure looks
like you scored on this one. A fine hat maker in
the old days. Nice 2"+ brim and what appears to
be a Cavanagh Edge.

I'd be glad to bid on this one if it doesn't fit you!

MattJH

One Too Many
Oh, believe me, I would've missed it, too. I haven't run my usual eBay search queries in DAYS. This morning I decided to run through the gauntlet and this came up in my second query. It was only listed for about 30 minutes before I used Buy It Now. It was simply a matter of good timing.

I'm still curious about the hat. My ears are open, I'd like to know anything you all know from the images and from the fact that it's a Herbert Johnson from Brooks Brothers. Dating, history, etc.

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
Fold back the leather and look just under the edge of the lining. Herbert Johnson used to attach a slip to the lining which told the year of manufacture. I do not know if they did this for hats re-branded for Brooks, but it was true of all of their London hats...at least up to 1982. Something happened to H.J. in the early eighties and the hats they started to produce...and still produce...were and are relative crap. I would say that any H.J. produced prior to 1982 could be a good investment if it has received good care through the decades. I would avoid any post-1982 H.J., lousy felt and poor quality manufacturing and finishing. At least in my experience.

By the way, I believe that the hat pictured is a Herbert Johnson "Grosvenor," which is the hat I always wore from the early seventies until I started having my hats custom made by Gary White. Gary still copies an old Grosvenor of mine for my hats.

Buzz

MattJH

One Too Many
Thank you for the information! I still own the hat, and I'm still very fond of it. It's one of the best deals I've ever stumbled upon, along with a 7 5/8 Adam Executive in the original hatbox for $25 shipped. If you're patient, you'll eventually get lucky.

MattJH

One Too Many
Bull Moose said:
Great score. Post pics when you get it.

I'll bet you seven hundred billion trillion dollars that you didn't actually read this thread. I take PayPal.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
My wife just stumbled upon one of these hats today at a thrift shop...

All I can say is WOW.....

I will try to take and post some pics as soon as I can, but what a hat...... super soft felt, leather sweatband, sewn in liner, just great.......It has the made in England by herbert johnson for brooks brothers stamped in the sweat band.......

This hat is in chocolate with a 2" ribbon....It states Made In England

Would love to try and get this hat dated somehow......

Edited to add I called Herbert Johson in London and chatted with the manager...
He is going to try and help me get some more info on this hat.

I am going to take some pics this afternoon and email him. He promised to contact his supervisor and see what they can dig up next week for me......

For anyone interested, Will post pics after I take them....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner