Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Herbert Johnson Brooks Brothers Hat in... 7 5/8?

MattJH

One Too Many
Please do! I'd like to know something, ANYthing about this hat. Everything I know is in this thread already. I still have and wear this one fairly regularly.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Here is my Chocolate Brooks Brothers made by Herbert Johnson and this one is 7 3/8.

9aq0et.jpg

314qqt1.jpg

10mre6c.jpg

2eg41dz.jpg

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Fold back the leather and look just under the edge of the lining. Herbert Johnson used to attach a slip to the lining which told the year of manufacture. I do not know if they did this for hats re-branded for Brooks, but it was true of all of their London hats...at least up to 1982. Something happened to H.J. in the early eighties and the hats they started to produce...and still produce...were and are relative crap. I would say that any H.J. produced prior to 1982 could be a good investment if it has received good care through the decades. I would avoid any post-1982 H.J., lousy felt and poor quality manufacturing and finishing. At least in my experience.

By the way, I believe that the hat pictured is a Herbert Johnson "Grosvenor," which is the hat I always wore from the early seventies until I started having my hats custom made by Gary White. Gary still copies an old Grosvenor of mine for my hats.

Buzz

Thanks for this info Buzz, I hadn't seen it when you posted it....

I looked where you said and there is a little square with " 60 " on it...

I guess we can presume it was made in 1960 ?

The other interesting thing about this hat is the size tag is paper and sewed into to the leather sweatband... Under the size 7 3/8 are the numbers 447...

I called Herbert Johnsons in London and talked to the manger twice...

He couldn't give me any information but said his boss might be able to help and I never got anything further from him....

He gave me his email address and after emailing him back twice I just gave up trying to get any information...

This hat is beautiful and butter soft, well cared for...

Unfortunately it is NOT my size but I can't get myself to part with it....:eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner