Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERITAGE grade Akubra Campdraft in Silver Belly Campaign

Brando11

A-List Customer
Very very nice bash- Plus, that color looks much lighter than the other posts I've seen for the Heritage Campdraft. Is this photo accurate?

Thx-
-Brando

T Rick

Practically Family
I went with a 5 sided diamond crease attempt & the JtL inner "arrowhead". It is still drying but here's a photo....
Photo-0097.jpg

Looks great Tom! Wearing mine around the house since this morning.

KyleK

One of the Regulars
Question for you guys that have been wearing the Heritage CD and "broken it in" - has it snugged up and come to form fit like an Imperial version?

T Rick

Practically Family
Question for you guys that have been wearing the Heritage CD and "broken it in" - has it snugged up and come to form fit like an Imperial version?
Mine has. Took a little bit more than my "putting it on after a shower with damp hair" trick though. Did that two or three times, wore it in one decent rain storm, and wore it around the house for several days (including a good sweat or two). It fits great now, still far from tight, but not loose either.

Mine is still a work in progress. Haven't had a decent rain around here to wear it in. I have worn it to the barn a few times but still need some noggin time. The heat here has discouraged that tho...

jkingrph

Practically Family
My Lord those are both great colors! I really like the creamy tones of that silverbelly, and the bluegrass is just awesome. one of these days I will finally get an Akubra.

I like that bluegrass, especially the bash. No matter how I try I cannot get one to look like that.. I'm like you I like the creamy color of my new silverbelly, just wish the weather would cool off so I can wear it. The way I sweat, about 5 minutes outside and it would be permanently stained.

T Rick

Practically Family
I like that bluegrass, especially the bash. No matter how I try I cannot get one to look like that.. I'm like you I like the creamy color of my new silverbelly, just wish the weather would cool off so I can wear it. The way I sweat, about 5 minutes outside and it would be permanently stained.
Thanks! That was the first hat I bashed, and it as far easier than I'd expected. I'd read Jimmy The Lid's teardrop workshop, and used some of the elements of his instruction, though mine is much rougher than the smooth professional contours he gets. I didn't use any steam on it, only sprayed it down with distilled water before I began, spent about 10 minutes (or less) on the bash. Wasn't exactly the look I envisioned when I started, but I decided I liked the result (I wore it while it dried also).

Just beginners luck I think, only other hat's I've bashed are my Nostalgia (literally took 10 seconds for a dry bash that is still as it was that first time, though I had planned exactly what I wanted before I even got the hat), the Silver Belly Camp Draft (started intending a center dent, that a couple minutes in, morphed into what I call a diamond cross) also done dry, and my 50's Open Road (first use of steam, but I also had to remove a loose Cattleman's bash there, and it is still changing even now, last night going from a bit of a diamond to more of a teardrop with an even lower back that it had).

Last edited:

Brando11

A-List Customer
Mine has. Took a little bit more than my "putting it on after a shower with damp hair" trick though. Did that two or three times, wore it in one decent rain storm, and wore it around the house for several days (including a good sweat or two). It fits great now, still far from tight, but not loose either.

I made my own rain. Took the spray attachment from the kitchen sink, turned the water on fairly hot and gave the crown a good soaking.

I am really happy with this hat and will definitely get some more Akubras.

Last edited:
I bought same size as 2 Imperials I have with no problems. HTH
I'm about to order one of these, but I have one question: Does Heritage felt shrink less than normal? My Campdrafts are 59, but they are a wee bit smallish (after starting out large), but not really a whole centimeter small. Should I go for another 59, or up it to 60?

I'm about to order one of these, but I have one question: Does Heritage felt shrink less than normal? My Campdrafts are 59, but they are a wee bit smallish (after starting out large), but not really a whole centimeter small. Should I go for another 59, or up it to 60?

I wear a 7-1/4 now but originally was measured to be a 7-1/8. This one size up for my newer hats means better comfort. I have a number of 7-1/8 or the metric equivalent. Some are better fitting than others, some seemed to shrink a tad over time and get a little tight. I have found that I prefer a hat to be a little large over being a little small. That is because I feel it is easier to get the fit right with some strips of felt such as from the fabric store over trying to get it bigger with a hat jack. (All of the hats that I have that are just a tad too small are somewhat annoying, I'd like to replace with a 7-1/4 at some point.

i'd suggest a little bit big over a little bit small.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
My experience with Akubra's over a 30+ years worth of wearing them is that they tend to be best bought a little big as with sweat, rain and heat they tend to "size down" . I will say that this experience has been with thier Imperial felt "Country" hats, ie the Bushman, Squatter and Cattleman from DM . I wear a 7 3/8 (59cm) and have always ordered a 60cm and they have ALWAYS worked out fine. I've recently bought two Stylemasters which are a lighterwieght version of the Imperial grade and found that that block in a size 59cm is more like the others in a 60cm so have ordered a 59cm in that style. They have worked out the same as the heavier felt hats of theirs. I think it is more a question of block style than felt grade. JMHO :)

The Heritage felt seems more dense than the Imperial felt right out of the box. The felting that is going to continue will be less dramatic since the fur fibers are already tightly together. Imperial felt seems to have more room (coarser texture) with which to draw in. The Featherweight versions of the Squatter that I have had though lighter weight seemed to be fairly tighter too. I have been wearing Akubras for 25+ years & I have had 1 62cm & 2 60cm's then lots of 61cm's Akubras. I am a true 24", 7 5/8, 61cm but a Long Oval shape. Unless you are between sizes, I'd definitely not go a larger size on a Heritage Campdraft. JMHO...

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Heritage Campdraft seems tempting, but here is my issue, maybe someone can help me with it. I already own a Stetson Twenty Five, which in my case is a gray/silverbelly color, and a beater Open Road. I reserve the Twenty Five for dressier occasions, and I'm not putting it to any sweaty use. I believe the Campdraft is a quality product, especially in the heritage grade felt. But what use am I going to put it to? In other words, what is the rationale for owning another silverbelly Open Road lookalike? I can see it as a rain and weather hat. I am directing this question especially to those who love Open Road hats, and I know some of you have many of them. Is there a point in another silverbelly hat, and if so, what?

Last edited:
You lost me with this phrase = "Is there a point in ..."
We are talking about HATS & you're going for logic???? ;)
I have a pristine Stetson 100 & an almost identical 7X CB plus a Knox 20, Penney's Marathon, both OR clones, in addition to a Heritage Akubra Campdraft Deluxe in Silverbelly.
There truly isn't any point in it...I bought the CD Deluxe because they made it.
This is the only modern factory made hat that resembles a top grade vintage Stetson Open Road. If HatCo produced it with the Stetson marque, I would've bought it from them.
It will get worn when I don't feel comfortable wearing a vintage lid. That could be based on the weather forecast or the location or event I'm going to.
Plus, this one has only been worn by me.
No real point in any of this....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters