Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERITAGE grade Akubra Campdraft in Silver Belly Campaign

Brando11

A-List Customer
Finally- some pics that show it bashed! I was starting to get turned off to the whole thing. These pics give me a MUCH better idea of the hat overall.

I LIKE it!! Thanks-

-Brando

I bow to your expertise on hats, sir. As I've said, I'm no hat expert. I still believe the hat is worth every penny I paid. And I love all of them - my Akubra collection has grown to ten. I would have stopped at one if I didn't think it was a good hat. I think Akubra's are one helluva bargain.

Now - for some pics. Disclaimer: I'm not a pro photographer, either.

Akubra Campdraft Heritage Grade in Silver Belly courtesy of The Hattery
DSCF4112.jpg

DSCF4114.jpg

DSCF4116.jpg

I think my "sloppy" diamond bash technique is improving.
DSCF4118.jpg

Liner
DSCF4119.jpg

Custom sweat band
DSCF4121.jpg

Noggin shot
DSCF4124.jpg

On Top: Fed IV Imperial Dark Brown & Camp Draft Imperial Fawn
First Row: Fed IV Heritage Dark Brown & Moonstone & Fawn
Middle Row: Camp Draft Imperial Bluegrass Green & Campdraft Heritage Silver Belly
Bottom Row: Beaver Brand Heritage Coffee & Banker Gray & Fawn
DSCF4125.jpg

The colors in this pic are spot-on
DSCF4127.jpg

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
Well folks - I had a chance to wear the new hat out and about today. While I am a little disappointed that the color wasn't what I was expecting, I do have to say that it is a terrific color, nonetheless. This hat will go with pretty much anything in my wardrobe - from dressy to casual - and do it with style! I'm still not sure how to describe this color because it seems to change with the lighting.

I Love This Hat!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I have been watching this thread with interest on how the hat would turn out. I've had about 7 Akubra's and thought they were all great hats. I have one Federation Deluxe that I always wear if it's raining, no worries with it getting wet. I think the block shape on this Campdraft is perfect, from the pics I see no taper at all. The color is all personal preference. I have numerous "Silverbelly" fedora's in different brands and they are all a bit different. Die lots will always vary some. The only thing that surprised me was the price, well over $200? Is that because it was a special run? It just seemed a bit high, my Deluxe didn't cost anywhere near that much. But other than that it seems like a great looking hat. Just my two cents worth.

fedoralover

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
I think the high price has more to do with a weak dollar than it being a special run. IIRC these are priced the same as the Fed IV Heritage.

I have 7 Akubras, too, and I think they are a fantastic hat. If you're a fan of Akubra, you should find room in your collection for one of these. I wouldn't trade mine for anything!

Well... maybe a VS pure beaver.;)

I have been watching this thread with interest on how the hat would turn out. I've had about 7 Akubra's and thought they were all great hats. I have one Federation Deluxe that I always wear if it's raining, no worries with it getting wet. I think the block shape on this Campdraft is perfect, from the pics I see no taper at all. The color is all personal preference. I have numerous "Silverbelly" fedora's in different brands and they are all a bit different. Die lots will always vary some. The only thing that surprised me was the price, well over $200? Is that because it was a special run? It just seemed a bit high, my Deluxe didn't cost anywhere near that much. But other than that it seems like a great looking hat. Just my two cents worth.

fedoralover

When did you buy the Deluxe & what was the exchange rate? The Aussie price of the CD Deluxe is the same as the Fed4 Deluxe because they are both Heritage grade.
The exchange rate right now is highly to the Aussie Dollar side thus the higher US Dollar price. Has nothing to do with "special run". Your 2 cents worth just ain't worth that much against Aussie 2 cents right now. Thanks to our US economic issues...

Gromulus

Practically Family
At today's exchange rate an Imperial grade Campdraft from Hats Direct is $116.18 vs. the Campdraft Deluxe at $184.08 (58% more). Another alternative is Everything Austrailian. They do not normally stock the Campdraft but today's price for the imperial CD is $95.51. If you can wait three months than Sam is the way to go.

Dundee

A-List Customer
The FederationIV Deluxe is now, today, $184.08 The same as the Campdraft Deluxe. Everything Austrailian will not have the Campdraft Deluxe as it was a product of Hats Direct. The color is a personal preferance. I like the Deluxe silverbelly color.

Gromulus

Practically Family
Everything Austrailian will not have the Campdraft Deluxe as it was a product of Hats Direct.

Yes, we know that. Whether the Deluxe is worth almost twice what EA charges for the Imperial CD (they are both still 100% rabbit) is a personal choice.

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
Gus bash?

I can't remember who, but someone said they were thinking of bashing their new CD deluxe in a Montana/Gus.

If it looks good, I may also pull the trigger.

Harry.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I can't decide how to bash my new CD, but given our normal summertime weather, I’ve got plenty of time to think about it. I probably won’t be able to wear my new hat until late September, anyhow.

I actually prefer a cattleman's crease on my thin ribbons...but I've got plenty of cattleman's creased Open Roads and Resistols to wear. And I’m a bit worried that the new Camp Draft might be too much hat to cattleman’s crease. I think Camp Drafts are slightly larger than Open Roads in every dimension. I’m concerned my new hat might look too “cowboy” cattleman’s creased.

Finally, even though I was able to crudely bash my two Imperial CDs, I'm a little timid about inflicting my modest skills on my new hat. Maybe I'll send my it to Optimo or somewhere and have it professionally blocked. I really like the diamond crease I’m seeing here on FL…I wonder if Optimo could block it that way for me.

AF

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
AF - the diamond bash is one of the easiest to do. I just steam the crown real well (because it's a new felt and fairly stiff) then give it a hand chop in each direction, followed by a generous pinch in the front. After getting the basic shape, I just use steam here and there where it needs adjusted for height. My first attempt always ends up with one side being higher than the other. I use distilled water in a kettle with a spout. What's great about these hats is that you can always change the bash if you don't like how it turned out. They really are very forgiving. We're close enough to each other that I'd be willing to help if you'd like.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
AF - the diamond bash is one of the easiest to do. I just steam the crown real well (because it's a new felt and fairly stiff) then give it a hand chop in each direction, followed by a generous pinch in the front. After getting the basic shape, I just use steam here and there where it needs adjusted for height. My first attempt always ends up with one side being higher than the other. I use distilled water in a kettle with a spout. What's great about these hats is that you can always change the bash if you don't like how it turned out. They really are very forgiving. We're close enough to each other that I'd be willing to help if you'd like.

Thanks, Seth. I may take you up on your offer.

I bashed both of my Imperials using the method you describe. I actually removed the liner of the silverbelly one before I steamed it...then replaced it when the hat dried. I think the hat turned out OK, but I didn't have much invested in it and was willing to risk screwing it up. Because the US dollar was so strong when I bought the Imperial, it only cost me about fifty bucks and shipping. As you well know, we've got much more invested in our Heritage CDs, so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do.

Picture074-1-1.jpg

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
I felt the same way when I decided to attempt my first bash. I experimented with an old Indy. I soon realized that you really can't do any real damage to them that a little steam won't erase. Especially the Akubras - they are very resilient. One thing I have found that works best for me - rather than try to change from one style immediately to another, I steam the felt, and return it to an open crown condition. It's much easier to bash an open crown than it is to try to change a C crown to, say, a diamond. At least for me. Just remember - steam is your friend. It allows you to erase mistakes and start over.;)

Shoot me a PM if you want to meet for some OJT.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Seth. I may take you up on your offer.

I bashed both of my Imperials using the method you describe. I actually removed the liner of the silverbelly one before I steamed it...then replaced it when the hat dried. I think the hat turned out OK, but I didn't have much invested in it and was willing to risk screwing it up. Because the US dollar was so strong when I bought the Imperial, it only cost me about fifty bucks and shipping. As you well know, we've got much more invested in our Heritage CDs, so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do.

Picture074-1-1.jpg

I don't know what you are worried about. That job on your Imperial grade CD is GREAT !! Just do as you did for it on your Heritage grade CD!! Looks good to me :)

T Rick

Practically Family
Anticipation can be a two edged sword. If the anticipated item is one as yet unseen, one tends to imagine what it will look/feel/be like. Those imaginings are tempered by ones existing memories/experiences that relate to the subject at hand (such as the color of Silver Belly in other hats one has experienced, or even what one has read or heard). This can lead to disappointment when the item arrives and does not meet the expectations created by these experiences.

Perhaps I am lucky this time around. I recall well an earlier discussion (in the Akubra Camp Draft thread I think), where it was discussed and agreed that Akubra's Silver Belly was decidedly more on the "tan" side when compared to a Stetson (most any Stetson IIRC). And my only first hand experience with a Silver Belly hat was my modern/vintage Open Road (have to dig out notes on the various Union Labels but IIRC, according to dates listed somewhere by RLK, my Silver Belly Open Road would date to the 1980's- not sure whether a 30ish year old hat can be labelled as "vintage").

Anyway, my Open Road is still considerably more "tan" than the current production color on the shelf at a local Western shop (they loved seeing the "old" version when I took it in). And we know the Akubra is still said to be decidedly more "tan". While I can see justification for calls that they call it something else, I can also see in some lighting/pictures justification for using that name.

In the end it is what it is, regardless of the name chosen. I am lucky in that the color does in fact roughly match my own pre-conceived notion of what it would be. And WRT to the felt, I did not expect the Heritage grade to be on an order of magnitude greater, just a bit heavier and tighter (those expectations gained from having read comparisons of the Fed IV in both grades). In fact I debated over ordering this hat or just a standard Camp Draft in Silver Belly. In the end the Deluxe won out largely due to it being a special run and associated with this Forum. That made it special enough to me to justify the additional expense.

Anyway, I like the hat a lot, though it will need to shrink just a bit more (putting it on after a shower last night and letting the damp hair dry as I did on my BGCD did shrink it a bit, but it's not quite "there" yet).

I threw in a dry bash, starting for a Center Dent, but deciding on what I like to call a "Diamond Cross" (two of the points are much closer to the rear). Wore it out to a night of incredible Blues/Rock by the Paul Warren Project (he is a local, moved back here from LA a couple years ago- his "real" job is as guitarist in the studio and on tour with Rod Stewart).

Here are a few pics of the hat as currently bashed, along with my Open Road and my Bluegrass Green Camp Draft. Oh, BTW, I quite like the hat ;). Like I said, lucky!

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

.... And my only first hand experience with a Silver Belly hat was my modern/vintage Open Road (have to dig out notes on the various Union Labels but IIRC, according to dates listed somewhere by RLK, my Silver Belly Open Road would date to the 1980's- not sure whether a 30ish year old hat can be labelled as "vintage")....

So glad you like it T Rick & for me, the split of modern to vintage for Stetson Open Roads happens more when Stetson went to the lower crown dimensions than the calendar date. I have a "well experienced" OR that I consider "modern" because it was after Stetson starting making the low crowned, stiff, western cattleman creased offering that is still what is sold today. I think this started mid to late 1970s after the licensing went into action over Stetson making hats.
For me, I thinks Akubra came up with a color to simulate silverbelly when they private labelled Open Roads in Oz for Stetson & that is what they "mix up" for the batch dye jobs, same as HatCo does when they run Resistol & Stetson silverbelly runs. It is what they use for that color & I with you, I like the shade it is.
I have 2 natural beaver hat bodies from custom makers here on the lounge that sourced them from Winchester. One is dress weight & the other is lite weight.
Tho both are undyed natural beaver fur felt, they are different colors next to each other. I like them both! I have a western custom that is natural undyed 100% beaver & it came from Winchester quite a few years before I knew of the Lounge & Winchester. It is different from the other 2 as well, more gray to it.
All cool looking lids that I like.

Last edited:

I have 2 natural beaver hat bodies from customer makers here on the lounge that sourced them from Winchester. One is dress weight & the other is lite weight.
Tho both are undyed natural beaver fur felt, they are different colors next to each other.

Yes, there can be quite noticeable color variations from batch to batch. And then there's what the hat finisher might do to those hat bodies that can have an effect on color as well. None of these factors account for the wide divergence among the colors called "silverbelly," but they do indeed make a difference.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou