Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hey fellow Big Guys (aka bucketheads)...

North Valley

New in Town
Try 8 1/2!!!

Gentlemen,
Not so fast!! I have actually made a couple hats size 8 1/2!
Yes, BUCKET HEAD is the thought I had as I was shaping them and trying to look at them in the mirror to check correctness. They darn near went over my shoulders when I put them on.
No, I am not calling anybody Bucket Head, Just the hats are like a five gallon bucket when you put them on a 7 1/8 head! lol
I alos made a hat for a "Bigger than life" statue of John Wayne for a museum in the Dakotas somewhere. I think it was about a size 9 if I recall.
Another was about a size 11 that was for a Smokey The Bear costume. That was interesting. It was about 15 years ago and I think I used a vase or something to block it??
Anyway, at 7 5/8 to 8 1/8, you are not so abnormal in the cranium. Must be samrt as hell though!!! :eusa_clap
Sincerely
Rodney / North Valley HAt Co.

MattJH

One Too Many
Mr. 'H' said:
I just know that I once bought on ebay a Borsalino with a narrow brim and it didn't suit me at all. I can't imagine waering a hat with that rope treatment for the ribbon - I take it it is more 60s. Just not my style.

I didn't mean any offence when I asked if you would wear one like it!

:p

No offense taken! I was just answering your inquiry :). I'm pretty sure Stetson Chargers were more of a 70s thing. I've seen original pricetags and they went for around $80 - $90.

big kahuna

Familiar Face
Now that's BIG hat lol

bighat.jpg

wayside

New in Town
Sefton said:
Welcome fellow big head! I'm a 7 3/4 and get my hats custom made. I recently found a Stetson online that was listed as being 7 3/4 and a 1950's vintage. I let it go as I couldn't be certain from the photos that it really was vintage and I won't buy another modern Stetson. Also it had a nice big moth hole right in the middle of the crown in the back! Try some of the vendors here that do custom made,they'll fix you up with something good. Cheers! Sefton
Not to make you feel bad, but I bought that one on Ebay. The hole is almost not noticeable and it's a dead on 7 3/4. True 50's vintage. I find the old Stetsons to be just about the most comfortable hat's ever made for my generous size melon.

MJL

One of the Regulars
Back to the original topic I would suggest that there is a substantial niche market for hats larger than 7 5/8. I understand the economies of scale but I also recognize a potential market when I see one. What I do not understand is why this market is being, essentially, ignored by companies like Hatco? I have a modern Stetson Temple fedora that I love. I got it on close-out in 2005 and would buy more is only I could find them in my size, 7 7/8 and reasonably priced. As to vintage hats I am convinced that there were just as many large skulled people in the past as in the present. I bet they had issues finding decent hats back then too.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
The key word here is niche market. It's probably just an economy of scale thing - not enough demand (at least that they see) to make it worth their while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot