Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HI again...Considering a Borsalino BEAVER...

Visigoth

A-List Customer
My suggestion: save your cash. It's a complete waste of money. As has been discussed here at great length: current Borsalinos are nowhere near the quality of the pre-1984 models. You can either buy a lovely 100% beaver custom hat, for the same price (or considerably less); or you can find a top-of-the-line vintage Borsalino for a quarter the price, which will be a vastly superior hat.

What is your hat size?

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Well, vintage will be a bit of a problem -- that's not a common vintage size, and they tend to be expensive (although still a fraction of a new Borsalino beaver).

So: if a European (as opposed to Western) style is what you're looking for, you might want to talk to one of the recommended custom hatters -- people here seem to love Optimo, and Art Fawcett. (Optimo's standard hat is a beaver/nutria blend; Art does pure beaver.)

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I've seen one in person and examined it closely. Did you know they are over $400. I can tell you honestly I would not spend $200 on it, let alone $425. If you have that much cash to spend on a hat do yourself a favor and have one custom made from Art fawcett or Steve Delk. They are cheaper cash wise, $275 to $225, but 3 or 4 times the quality. You are buying the name not a quality hat. The sweatband was cheap and the liner was Glued in, you would think for that much money they could afford to pay someone for 5 minutes of work to sew one in.

Here's a pic of one
DSCN0300.jpg

Or for $275 you can have one like this from Art Fawcett, (it too is 100% beaver and a much more substanial felt) or whatever design you like. After all it's custom to what YOU want.
IMG_20060703_0001.jpg

fedoralover

Can't say that I have any real experience with Borsalino's new beaver lid, Sheikh, although the man who runs the local hat store pulled one out for me to take look at a while back. I wasn't really interested 'cuz (1) I wasn't particularly taken with its style, and (2) the darn thing costs 425 bucks.
I, and several others here with firsthand experience with Art Fawcett's offerings, would readily second fedoralover's comments.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Borsalino Beaver

If you would like , come to our store and we will show you the hat as well as the standard Borsalino quality . You can compare the two and see what you think if it is worth the difference in price . We have thousands of Borsalino hats in stock as well as many other hats from different companies .

Steven
Bencraft Hats
Brooklyn, NY

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I go back and forth between the stores . The Williamsburg store has a bigger selection of Borsalino hats and is closer to Manhattan . They can show you as many hats as you like .
It's a hat heaven !!!

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Saw a new one of these with at Byrnie Utz in Seattle and was really surprised. aposed the the other Borsalinos with their fur that falls off and the soft loose feel of the felt, the new all beaver -- which is different than the ones I saw last year -- are very very smooth and thin. Closer to vintage felt in fel and the hats were soft. Such an awful low sloped crowned design for what looks to be their most expensive hat.

You all know I am not a fan of modern Borsalinos from past experience of them drooping and sagging in drizzle, we'll see how this Beaver lasts with some people posting their experiences here.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Just to let everyone know , I didn't sell Sheikh the Beaver . I see no reason to push a hat like that on someone who is a newbie . Start out with a regular Borsalino . There realy isn't that much of a difference !! -AND it's less than half the price !

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Modern Borsies

I have several Borsalinos that are modern and some that are vintage. The vintage hats are nicer but knowing what I do now I would save my $$$ and buy a custom from Art. He is a true craftsman and a real gentleman who does not rest until you are happy with one of his custom fedoras.

I own 2 made by him and they are the equal or better of anything I have seen anywhere. Fedora (Steve Delk) has also made some(4) custom hats for me and does a magnificent job, and like Art, is not happy until you are.

jeboat:) :) :)

epic610

One of the Regulars
just a thought...

borsalino quality may have gone down in recent decades, but so have the quality levels for most other manufacturers.

would it be possible to say that borsalino is still one of the premier factory-made hats available today?

what say you.....???

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
epic610 said:
borsalino quality may have gone down in recent decades, but so have the quality levels for most other manufacturers.

would it be possible to say that borsalino is still one of the premier factory-made hats available today?

what say you.....???

To answer that question... No, no and no!

comparing Borsalino's fur felt to what Dorfman Pacific makes in wool is what I can easily do. Their modern hats are of what I and friends have worn, the lowest end around when it comes to quality. They are rock bottom in quality. The new Beaver hat they sell looks promising, though anything else I have seen turns to mush in the rain and droops even without the rain. Quite frankly you'd do better if you bought a hat made of paper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis