Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hi, does anyone know how to flatten a leather swearband without removing it from the

crabman

New in Town
Hi, Does anyone know how to flatten a leather sweatband without removing it from the hat?. By the way, I just want to thank all the members here who have contributed endless valuable
information on vintage felt hats. This forum has been a tremendous help.........crabman

fedoracentric

Banned
Maybe lube it up with Pecards then put in a wide, wooden stretcher and gently tighten it up?

... or a steam roller. Ha, ha.

I have to say, though, it may not be possible to get it totally the way you want it. Once leather takes on a character, it isn't easy to disabuse it of that notion.

viclip

Practically Family
If the concern is with sweatband "puckering" then I too would appreciate receiving guidance in terms of getting rid of those annoyingly uncomfortable inboard protuberances

crabman

New in Town
flattening leather sweatbands

Thanks you all for a quick reply. This situation is a mint, vintage, Stetson stratoliner, except that it has a strong mildew odor. Following Art Fawcets advice on one of the threads, I wiped down the
sweatband with alcohol, (both sides) sprayed the liner with denatured alcohol, and then, applied LEXOL to the sweat band, to recondition it. I also, on the advice of a local hatter, I have been
airing the hat outside for a few hours on each of two days.....to also try to get rid of the odor. I think the leather may have SLIGHTLY shrunk, but nothing too drastic, the hat still fits OK.
I was thinking about a slight gentle stretch that might even out the leather...Is that what you were talking about?........Also what do you thing about applying steam?........thanks again, crabman.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Steam and leather do not mix unless youre trying to shrink it. You may want to slightly dampen the sweat if you intend on stretching it, but the heat from steam would not be good.

fedoracentric

Banned
Warning: Steam and leather do NOT mix.

If you purposefully steam leather you may easily suddenly shrink and harden the leather so badly that you'll have to replace the whole sweatband.

crabman

New in Town
Steam and leather do not mix

Steam and leather do not mix unless youre trying to shrink it. You may want to slightly dampen the sweat if you intend on stretching it, but the heat from steam would not be good.

Thanks jlee562. That is the kind of detailed information that is so extremely helpful. I was thinking about wetting, and flattening with steam or stretching. I think you just saved me from
making a big mistake. I forgot that you can wet leather without steam. The leather already has an extra dose of LEXOL conditioner, so a little cool water to moisten it before a gentle stretch,
just might work!..........thanks.....crabman

crabman

New in Town
steam and leather do not mix

Warning: Steam and leather do NOT mix.

If you purposefully steam leather you may easily suddenly shrink and harden the leather so badly that you'll have to replace the whole sweatband.

Thanks fedoracentric for your original reply and followup reply!..........crabman

crabman

New in Town
Follow-up to all. My local hat store (Goorin) was very nice and put the hat into a stretcher (no steam......thanks) and gave it a gentle stretch.....which worked fine!......Thank you all for your feedback!
.........crabman. Now all I have to do is to continue airing out this nice hat to get the mildew smell out. There is no visible mold, so I think I have a chance.......Steve

-30-

A-List Customer
To remove an objectionable odour, embed the hat within new, crumpled-up newsprint, enclosed by a plastic (garbage) bag.

Leave the above for at the least, three days.

(For must, or other odours dealing with hat boxes, etc, same result, but separate and with new newsprint, not reused.)

Problem(s) solved.

Regards,
J T

I briefly looked at the responses. As far as odor removal....get a plastic container with a lid. I reckon a box will work as long as it has no smells....crumble up newspaper, a lot of it and put the hat in and close it up. The smell will most likely.come out over a couple of weeks. You may even change out the paper after a week and do it again.
You could also stash a few plain charcoal brickets down under the paper. Your hat odor should go away in a couple weeks.

QUOTE=crabman;1786125]Follow-up to all. My local hat store (Goorin) was very nice and put the hat into a stretcher (no steam......thanks) and gave it a gentle stretch.....which worked fine!......Thank you all for your feedback!
.........crabman. Now all I have to do is to continue airing out this nice hat to get the mildew smell out. There is no visible mold, so I think I have a chance.......Steve[/QUOTE]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred