Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hi-Fi's

Rafter

Suspended
Do any FL members have old pre 60’s “hi fi” phonographs that still work?

Scion posted this on the intro thread, “New Ladies and Gents Step Forward”.
ScionPI2005 said:
This photo is of one of my prized items. The phonograph is a circa 1948 Zenith CobraMatic. It actually belonged to my grandfather on my mother's side. It had been in storage for at least fifteen years. I took it out and had it restored--new tubes put in, the idler was rebuilt, and a new power cord was installed among other things. It works like a charm now.
cobraopen2.jpg

I have a Webcor Hi Fi Phonogragh that belonged to my father. I would love to get it rebuilt, but can't find a shop that would be able to do the job.
It has a separate spindle that enable 45's to drop automatically. There are even separate bass and treble controls.

The tubes still work, but there needs to be some rewiring on the arm and the gears under the turntable need adjustment. It's also impossible to find a new needle stylus, an Astatic 57T cartridge.

I remember it had a great sound. It had a rich tone and warmth that is missing from my CD system.

Looks something like the model on the left in this add.
patboone_webcor.jpg

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Senator, *very* *nice*.

Rafter, I used to work on these, sorry but no time anymore these days, but the problems you mentioned are common & can be fixed. Like you said, few do it, so cheapest to do it yourself. PM me for supply contacts (drive wheel resurfacing, etc) if interested.

Here's the only guy I know who works on these; he may only work on his own that he buys for re-sale, not sure if he works on other people's. Willie Bosco at RecordPlayers Plus - here's his site w/ email:
http://www.recordplayersplus.com

Here's a thread posted earlier about repair for another 50s Webcor, might have helpful info - those needles almost always Can be found, believe it or not:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=284629#post284629

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I'm not at all sure how easy it is to find repair shops for vintage tube radios.

I got the Cobra that Rafter posted above repaired at a shop here in Abq. I called around a few places, and was recommended to the guy by one of the shops.

Brought the Cobra into the guy's place about a year and a half ago. He had a whole bunch of tube cathedral radios around the place, among other things. He took one look at my phono and his eyes got wide. He told me when I picked it up that he had a real fun time working on it since he rarely gets to see something like that.

I just hope one day I don't have to rely on shipping whatever I have that's broken out somewhere just to get it working again. I've always said that whenever I move, the three main things I need are: a good hat shop, a vintage watch repair shop, and a vintage electronics repair shop. Eh, with that, who needs food anyway?

52Styleline

A-List Customer
Magnavox consolette with leather top. plays 16, 33 1/3, 45, and 78 rpm. I replaced all the capacitors in it a few years ago and it still sounds pretty good.

Neato!

The pre-stereo radios and phonographs in my parents house all were tossed out when they needed repair once stereo came in our house. I was a little guy at the time and remember my dad reading and shopping to put together his component stereo. (As the family gathers around the stereo hi-fi!)
The Lafayette radio and the amp is gone but the AR-2 speakers are still going strong. I should get the Rekko-kut phonograph refurbished it was a great stereo phonograph.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
This is my 1958 Webcor suitcase Hi-Fi. Is yours something like this one? I need a new needle soon,but aside from that and the record drop/auto return not working (broken parts inside aren't likely to be easy to find) it works and sounds good.
webcorhifibz1.jpg

Rafter

Suspended
Sefton said:
This is my 1958 Webcor suitcase Hi-Fi. Is yours something like this one? I need a new needle soon,but aside from that and the record drop/auto return not working (broken parts inside aren't likely to be easy to find) it works and sounds good.
Sefton,
It's the same except the front is not cloth, it's white metal.
The case itself is all black.

Cousin Hepcat,
Thanks for your reply. I don't think there's a need for drive wheel resurfacing. It's the rubber belt underneath the turntable that needs to be put back in place.

Scion,
You're lucky to have found a vintage electronics repair shop.

John In Covina,
Too bad your parents threw out all the pre-stereo radios and phonographs

I also have a 1956 Admiral Television.....and it still works. Once the tubes go,
I'll have to put it to rest. I better start doing some research and find a vintage electronics repair shop.

Looks something like the top model in this add.
admad.jpg

Flivver

Practically Family
I've always been interested in the beginnings of Hi Fi in the early 1930s. While true high fidelity records didn't come along until the advent of the LP in 1948, several radio companies were working on high fidelity radios ca 1933-37. The most notable of these were Philco and Stromberg Carlson.

One of the first true high fidelity radios was the Philco 200X introduced for the 1934 model year. This radio featured Class A audio output, variable bandwidth IF and a speaker designed for enhanced bass and treble reproduction. I have an electrically restored version of this set and it's fidelity is quite amazing on a local station with a clean signal, provided the bandwidth control is wide open. Sure wish there was more good music on AM!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Okay, mine's '60s or so, but it sits next to my computer and I have a picture of it. The buttons are stuck down, so everything works at the same time, which means it's pretty much unuseable. It looks pretty cool though.

IMG_2644.jpg

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I'm fortunate in that I actually have TWO functional tube testers. one is a carry-along compact model, the other is a larger Heathkit that's about 18" square and therefore more "luggable" than portable.

I have a number of old radios and will get their pictures up in the near future.

I have a question for those who are more into old radio repair than I. In fact, I do most of my own electronics repair, but I haven't done caps on an old radio - and I have the impression that deteriorating caps are often the cause of increasing hum.

When replacing caps, other than unplugging the radio and discharging the caps, is there any need to do much except:

1) Match each cap by type and characteristics;
2) Work carefully so as to cause no unintentional damage.

??? Inquiring minds.

Also - does anyone happen to know a competent radio repair person who deals with older radios, located in the Denver area?

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman,
Is that a German Hi-Fi? Grundig and Telefunken (love that name) made some terrific ones. Yours looks beautiful. Have you looked into having it fixed? Those German 50s~60s sets,when working,sound great.

Vladimir Berkov,
It counts. Does it work or just display? very nice!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The radio's german- an EMUD.
I've tried to fix it myself, I'm sure that it's just a matter of pressing the right place inside to get the button to pop (to release the catch on the button), but I haven't been able to get it to do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner