Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hi guys im new here had a question about my new schott perfecto 618

Saxena107

New in Town
Just zipped my jacket up all the way and by doing that i've finally confirmed that the shoulders fit just right on me. It's a snug fit for sure but that's how it's supposed to be and i have enough mobility. I'm really happy that ive found this out. When i first got the jacket i was worried that the shoulders were too small for me because they seemed like they might have been pulling towards my neck just a bit. After wearing it all day for the past few days and now zipping it up all the way like in the pic i've attached, I can confirm the shoulders are lined up perfectly with my shoulder blade. The sleeves hit my wrist bone too which is perfect if ur not gonna ride in it. Looking forward to break this bad boy in. It's crazy how much even a few days of break in can make because the first time i tried it on i was sure it was too small. And i wasn't even looking forward to wearing it the next day. But now i look forward to wearing it every day because it's loosened up enough already in just a few days. Thank you to all your responses guys it's nice to help out a new guy with his noob questions lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0624.jpg
    IMG_0624.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 842
Last edited:

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would keep it as long as you have mobility. I think it will get a little "easier" to wear as it breaks in. Mine has.. I really don't think they stretch that much, I think the leather becomes easier to move in, if that makes sense.. If you are happy with it, by all means, give it hell.
+1

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Just zipped my jacket up all the way and by doing that i've finally confirmed that the shoulders fit just right on me. It's a snug fit for sure but that's how it's supposed to be and i have enough mobility. I'm really happy that ive found this out. When i first got the jacket i was worried that the shoulders were too small for me because they seemed like they might have been pulling towards my neck just a bit. After wearing it all day for the past few days and now zipping it up all the way like in the pic i've attached, I can confirm the shoulders are lined up perfectly with my shoulder blade. The sleeves hit my wrist bone too which is perfect if ur not gonna ride in it. Looking forward to break this bad boy in. It's crazy how much even a few days of break in can make because the first time i tried it on i was sure it was too small. And i wasn't even looking forward to wearing it the next day. But now i look forward to wearing it every day because it's loosened up enough already in just a few days. Thank you to all your responses guys it's nice to help out a new guy with his noob questions lol.
I was initially gonna say man you got too much gut, size up, but after seeing this picture i agree with your assessment that the fit is snug but just right. The jacket will become more comfortable as the leather breaks in, but it will always be snug, don‘t be mistaken about that. Stop doing hug tests or other stretching stuff though, it‘s a jacket, no gymnastic suit. How often in real life do you touch your shoulder blades? I cant even do that with no jacket on. Just wear it.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Personally i would size up, you are wearing only a T-shirt in all these pics and the jackets already fits like a sausage casing.
Can you even close it whilst wearing a jumper?

There is no such thing as a jacket "opening up" with wear, if it starts out too tight it will always be too tight.

Saxena107

New in Town
Personally i would size up, you are wearing only a T-shirt in all these pics and the jackets already fits like a sausage casing.
Can you even close it whilst wearing a jumper?

There is no such thing as a jacket "opening up" with wear, if it starts out too tight it will always be too tight.
Yea im able to wear a hoodie underneath and zip it up. But its a bit uncomfortable. I thought these jackets were supposed to be form fitting and snug with a t shirt under and then after breaking it in, the jacket molds to your body further. I actually reaaaally like how the jacket looks on me zipped all the way up. Its super comfortable to wear it that way too. Its like even though its heavy leather and its really snug, im not sweating in it; i can breathe in it still. Which is counterintuitive you'd expect heavy clothes to make you sweat but not so in this case. I know u say that jackets dont open up with time, but i just spoke with the guy who owns the leather jacket store in Vancouver (posted the links to a couple of his youtube videos asking you all to take a look and give your thoughts a few posts back), and he said they do open up and all his customers, when they bought the perfecto 613 in a larger size originally, came back a year later to say that the jacket opened up too much and now is too big for them. I talked to that guy over instagram just yesterday asking him do these jackets really open up because so many schott owners say they dont, and he said this: "By open up I mean gets bigger . When I got mine it was snug in a t shirt and I was 174lbs. I got the gym pretty hard and got up to 195 with a good amount of muscle and it opened up with me . Now I can wear it with a hoodie when I first got it there was no way . That said everyone is different . I’ve noticed the tightness in spots goes away as it breaks in . Think shoes . They always stretch . But if it’s too small you do run the risk of blowing it out . It’s all gonna have to go by feel . If it feels too small typically you’ll know right away... I can only speak from my own personal jacket and sizing people for the last 9 years in them . Everyone that buys the not snug fit wants to bring it back a year later." I know on this forum there's been serious discussion about whether these jackets stretch or not. I understand the notion that the seams would rip before the leather would stretch, if it would stretch at all. I also understand the notion that even though leather itself stretches, once panels of leather are stitched together to form a jacket, the leather's ability to stretch goes away because of it being attached to separate panels of leather via stitching. I know many jacket owners have tried to stretch them to no avail, and i know that there are jacket owners that swear they got their heavy cowhide jackets to stretch. It's very frustrating to realize there's no science behind this and that it's just, i guess luck or something. I'm gonna wear mine with the hope that by wearing it all the time, the jacket will stretch every so slightly so that the current snug fit becomes a bit looser, and so then i can more comfortably wear a hoodie underneath.

Last edited:

Saxena107

New in Town
I had mine out today on the m/c before the Browns game. 68 degrees when I left, 81 when I came back. The arms are broken in pretty good, but the body needs a little more time.

Sucks about your sleeve stitching. Let us know what Schott has to say. I am sure it is fixable if you want.
View attachment 362782 View attachment 362783
So I emailed Schott customer service about the loose stitching near the left arm sleeve hole issue that i mentioned earlier, and they said I can send it back in at anytime to have it fixed for free. I replied asking to confirm if it's okay to send it back next summer because i just want to wear it right now and break the jacket in now that the cooler weather is arriving. I assume the answer will be yes it's okay to send it back in then and it'll be no charge. Good stuff. Update: Schott confirmed that i can send it back in next summer or any time i want and they'll fix it, no charge. Excellent.

Last edited:

roadking04

Practically Family
So I emailed Schott customer service about the loose stitching near the left arm sleeve hole issue that i mentioned earlier, and they said I can send it back in at anytime to have it fixed for free. I replied asking to confirm if it's okay to send it back next summer because i just want to wear it right now and break the jacket in now that the cooler weather is arriving. I assume the answer will be yes it's okay to send it back in then and it'll be no charge. Good stuff. Update: Schott confirmed that i can send it back in next summer or any time i want and they'll fix it, no charge. Excellent.

Thats great to hear. I am glad that Schott is gonna take care of this for you. Enjoy your jacket. Hope to see some updated pics as it breaks in.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think it doesn't look too tight on you, looks fine, it is just a brand new jacket, don't over think it, just wear it often. losing a little weight is also a good idea, it will look cooler if the sleeve is less tight, the body looks fine zipped up.

Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I think it doesn't look too tight on you, looks fine, it is just a brand new jacket, don't over think it, just wear it often. losing a little weight is also a good idea, it will look cooler if the sleeve is less tight, the body looks fine zipped up.
This. The jacket does look a little snug, but is probably the closest to the correct size on you.

Something I have learned over time is that certain jackets just won't fit you very well depending on your body type. When I was overweight, there were jackets that just didn't fit me right. Not that I've lost weight, there are other jackets that just don't fit me right.

In my opinion, the jacket patterns doesn't work great for you, but like I said, this size is probably the closest to fitting you right now.

Saxena107

New in Town
I was initially gonna say man you got too much gut, size up, but after seeing this picture i agree with your assessment that the fit is snug but just right. The jacket will become more comfortable as the leather breaks in, but it will always be snug, don‘t be mistaken about that. Stop doing hug tests or other stretching stuff though, it‘s a jacket, no gymnastic suit. How often in real life do you touch your shoulder blades? I cant even do that with no jacket on. Just wear it.
Yup those stretch tests

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm actually thinking of trying to swap it for the next size up (size 44). Ive been wearing the shit out of this size 42 and the shoulders just arent doing it for me- too tight. And i can feel the weight of the jacket right on my shoulders due to this tightness. I also have size 46 of the same jacket and that one is too big. The size 46 is comfy asf but the armpits are too low. But on the size 46, the shoulders are reaaaally comfy and as a result, i dont feel the weight of the jacket resting solely on my shoulders. Its just a much better experience and i really gave it a college try with size 42 this past week because i really wanted it to work. But by the end of today i really couldnt take it anymore with the shoulders. Im gonna try size 44. Yeah my guts been big for years lol gotta do something about it. Although i am physically active. I dont eat crap except for sugary drinks but i cant give that up; water is too bland and i have a long standing sweet tooth.

Saxena107

New in Town
This. The jacket does look a little snug, but is probably the closest to the correct size on you.

Something I have learned over time is that certain jackets just won't fit you very well depending on your body type. When I was overweight, there were jackets that just didn't fit me right. Not that I've lost weight, there are other jackets that just don't fit me right.

In my opinion, the jacket patterns doesn't work great for you, but like I said, this size is probably the closest to fitting you right now.

I hear you. I think im gonna try for the next size up though for now, size 44. I tried 42 and 46 so its like goldilocks and the three bears now (Dont ask me why i didnt choose the 44 before the 46, i like to make my life as hard as possible thats why lol). i might come to realize that what you said is true- that this cut jacket doesnt work for me. But for right now, i gotta find out how the size 44 feels and looks.

Edward

Bartender
Quick query piggy-backing here - if you don't mind - for the 618 owners. Does anyone else find the "handwarmer" pockets are a bit too close to the edge of the front panels to be able to comfortably get at them when you're wearing the jacket? It's something I've found with mine. Not an issue, really, in practice as I never put my hands in these pockets on any jacket, and the chest pocket for wallet / phone is all I really use so the handwarmers are only there for decoration. Curious, though.

Saxena107

New in Town
Quick query piggy-backing here - if you don't mind - for the 618 owners. Does anyone else find the "handwarmer" pockets are a bit too close to the edge of the front panels to be able to comfortably get at them when you're wearing the jacket? It's something I've found with mine. Not an issue, really, in practice as I never put my hands in these pockets on any jacket, and the chest pocket for wallet / phone is all I really use so the handwarmers are only there for decoration. Curious, though.
I cant reach those pockets either.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

I have the same problem with my Cal CHP and my LW CHP, they are too far out to be comfortably used.

Edward

Bartender
I have the same problem with my Cal CHP and my LW CHP, they are too far out to be comfortably used.

At least suggests that they were never intended to put yer hands in, though it does somewhat rob them of much functionality if they can't be used when the jacket is on. My Schott is the only jacket I've owned where I noticed this, interesting to hear other brands are affected by it as well.

Saxena107

New in Town
At least suggests that they were never intended to put yer hands in, though it does somewhat rob them of much functionality if they can't be used when the jacket is on. My Schott is the only jacket I've owned where I noticed this, interesting to hear other brands are affected by it as well.
Maybe those pockets are easier to reach when in riding position. I guarantee that everything Schott did with those perfecto jackets were designed for functionality on a motorcycle. The style came second.

Edward

Bartender
Maybe those pockets are easier to reach when in riding position. I guarantee that everything Schott did with those perfecto jackets were designed for functionality on a motorcycle. The style came second.

Could be. They're not so directly associated with actual riding these days (at least this side of the pond), but it's certainly true that's what they were designed for way back when!

roadking04

Practically Family

I have bad shoulders and I use mine to "rest" my arms/shoulders sometimes. They are a little hard to get at sometimes. They could be a little easier if they were moved closer to the front.

Maybe they are actually for your rear passenger?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ