Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hi I am new here

WOMBAT

New in Town
DSCF3232.jpg

DSCF3218.jpg

DSCF3233.jpg

here is a sun set taken today from the hill

silverton is where they shot a lot of mad max the movie

WOMBAT

New in Town
my wife was born here in the late 50s and left around the 70s to move to wagga wagga but the hill was her home and when she had a chance to move back 5 years ago she finally felt she was home

some thing about the red dust I my self love the place and do not feel at home till I see the red dirt

WOMBAT

New in Town
unreal I have seen some images taken at that time and some had come into town in full costum what a site

pricillla the queen of the desert was shot here and some of the old guys got a shock

:p

Corky

Practically Family
Back to the topic: re-creating the Bush Tucker Man hat...

First of all, I want to thank you for opening our eyes to the BTM videos. A great character with a great hat.

I looked around for some video of 360 degree views of the BTM's hat and found this one.

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6mMm6MPEgFk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6mMm6MPEgFk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Note the detail of the way the crown is pinched in at about :35 and at about 1:05 to about 1:08.

I think the way to re-create this completely original bash would be by steaming the hat to soften it, or by soaking the top of the hat in water and pour some water inside the hat (keeping the leather sweatband dry to prevent shrinkage and put the hat on hat jack if you have one).

Then put your left hand inside the hat at the top, with your fingers on one side of the crease and your thumb on the other, then put your right hand beneath your left on the outside slope of the crown, fingers on one side and thumb on the other, and work the felt in opposite directions, sliding your left hand over your right.

As you do this procedure, pinch the fingers and thumb of your right hand in and slightly open the fingers of your left hand to push the felt of the hat out.

Again, do this slowly and by degrees and while it's wet (or steamed) this is an opportunity to push the aft of your hat's crown backwards to create that hyper-cool profile with the

Parasaurolophus.jpg

Parasaurolophus skull detail.

Best of luck.

WOMBAT

New in Town
thank you for that corky you have an amazing tallent there I have worked with computers for 20 years but mostly web design or hard ware which is more my way ai can rebuild systems from nothing to up and running I have an old 486 here 166 with over 100 meg of ram im,aging what that would have cost new over 100 meg of ram and 80 gig hard drive I l;et it just sit there as a back up for important documents ect

I have played around with my own video camera I understand how to edit but i seem to stuff it haup I prefer hard ware lol

it is funny here in Broken Hill quite a few do wear aubra hats the stockmen have a different hat and the sheep guys have one and then the locals like me any thing goes epecially at my age and receding hair line it is a hot place and sun stroke is so easy to get

one thing is if I buy cheap hat I loose it in weeks with this one $110 and all the work out into it there is no way I will loose it

I am a big fan of the bish tucker man and I do have some of his movies and plan to buy more

I have dreamed all of my life to live in the out back and well I am finally here amazing dreams do come true some times

yoonie

Familiar Face
Too many breathtaking vistas, not enough fedoras....one would say, if one weren't speechless.

Corky

Practically Family
The Hat: Let's take another look at the video...

This time I suggest we look at the video posted above and examine it at about the 8 second mark, maybe 8.5 or close to 9.

Single frame it as The BTM removes his hat and places it on the ground alongside him.

Stop the video and examine the two rear creases on the hat carefully.

This moment is the first we've seen of The BTM's hat from the back and it appears that there are two sharply angled creases at the back of each side of the crown and that the back surface of the crown is flat and then indented below where the tip of the crown bends over in back.

If you put your hat facing down on the table in front of you. The front of the hat at twelve o'clock and the back of the hat is at the six o'clock position, so one of these rear creases might be between four and five o'clock and the other crease would be on the opposite side, maybe between seven and eight o'clock.

Put the teakettle on the stove. You know the procedure.

-----------

Also. this is what video editing is about. You have to look at your raw footage again and again, until you start to see things you missed during the last ten or twelve times you looked at it. Then when you are editing, the trick is to watch your raw footage very carefully, making notes on it, and then to cut your project first on paper, and then on video.

Again, good luck.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
PHOTO OF THE YEAR

WOMBAT said:
frog.jpg

my wife took this one of me as a back drop

Wombat,

You are a luckyman already
1. Having a wife who is on par with photo artists
2. Living in a place like that.

Forget the concerns about sandstorms and fedoras.

Bless:

Tom

Trebuchet64_Fal

Familiar Face
Hi Wombat,
The hotel i was thinking of was on the highway to silverton ,i think , i remember going past Pro Harts big ant, We stopped to have a beer because there was nothing but a small shed with a fridge in it that the publican was serving VB cans out of . It was one of those great outback moments . Thank you for your thoughts re the fires down here what a tradgedy, i have a mate who lives at Kinglake west , Thankfully he and his family where unharmed , When i spoke to him the following day he said that by the time they realised there was a fire it was already upon them ,The fire front was moving at 150 Km's an hour ,a chilling thought.

Corky

Practically Family
WOMBAT: Kangaroos, Computer Code, and the BTM's Helicoptering over the Outback...

WOMBAT,

Since Computer Code and the BTM's Helicoptering over the Outback were mentioned in your recent post and in a link the previous message, the following might be of interest:

The following apparently appeared in the June 15, 1999 Defence Science and Technology Organisation Lecture Series, Melbourne, Australia, and staff reports.

The reuse of some object-oriented code has caused tactical headaches for Australia's armed forces. As virtual reality simulators assume larger roles in helicopter combat training, programmers have gone to great lengths to increase the realism of their scenarios, including detailed landscapes and, in the case of the Northern Territory's Operation Phoenix, herds of kangaroos (since disturbed animals might well give away a helicopter's position).

The head of the Defence Science & Technology Organisation's Land Operations/Simulation division reportedly instructed developers to model the local marsupials' movements and reactions to helicopters. Being efficient programmers, they just re-appropriated some code originally used to model infantry detachment reactions under the same stimuli, changed the mapped icon from a soldier to a kangaroo, and increased the figures' speed of movement.

Eager to demonstrate their flying skills for some visiting American pilots, the hotshot Aussies "buzzed" the virtual kangaroos in low flight during a simulation. The kangaroos scattered, as predicted, and the visiting Americans nodded appreciatively... then did a double-take as the kangaroos reappeared from behind a hill and launched a barrage of Stinger missiles at the hapless helicopter. (Apparently the programmers had forgotten to remove that part of the infantry coding.)

The lesson? Objects are defined with certain attributes, and any new object defined in terms of an old one inherits all the attributes. The embarrassed programmers had learned to be careful when reusing object-oriented code, and the Yanks left with a new-found respect for Australian wildlife. Simulator supervisors report that pilots from that point onward have strictly avoided kangaroos, just as they were meant to.

WOMBAT

New in Town
johnnycanuck hard to explain but for me it is perfect when I am out taking pictures of the out back the large brime works well with keeping the sun away

yes it looks ugly hat but maybe that is the atraction if you have a look at the augbra site there are so many shapes and types of hat here in Broken Hill it is a common site not to much in larger towms

I love the weird shape and I have always wanted one so why not my old one has shrunk or my head got bigger not sure which maybe a bit of both so I went out and got one

I have seen a few american rodeo shows where they wear the wite coyboy hats are they plastic or what ? the aubra is made from rabbit skin there are aoso many fake made from chap felt unfortunatly

DSCF3295.jpg

stevens creek pub 2009 went out of town yesterday so I got some pictures for you

this next image is just a few ks down from the pub to wards dubbo way
DSCF3302.jpg

DSCF3317-1.jpg

typical willie willie

DSCF3305.jpg

DSCF3322.jpg

can you imaging stock surviving on this paddock

thank you corky for that

corky thanks I new that hat was for sale but did not know where from what they say they give you the basics and let you work it out for your self

I am happy with most of the hat the back still need a little work but I am going to let that go and just see how the hat settels down

again thak you every one for the help you have given

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael