Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hi I am new here

WOMBAT

New in Town
I have been searching the internet on how to shape a hat it is the Sombrero used by bush tucker man . I am getting closer but with no set plan itis hard all I have is his show:rolleyes: as a guide

I wonder where this site originats from I am in A remote town in Australia NSW broken hill

WOMBAT

New in Town
I am haveing a bad day here just went out to get some images of some wege tailed eagals and some roos just out of town and my SDmemory card died thats about 3rd one since i bought the camera last november

did not get any eagal shots but got some roo shots on internal memory of the camera
2009_0306set1sun0015.jpg

we have a family of roos who live on the edge of town
2009_0306set1sun0001.jpg

Corky

Practically Family
Is this who you mean by Bush Tucker Man?

BushTuckerMan.him.jpg

As far as I can tell, <i>Bush Tucker Man, Stories of Survival</i> has never been broadcast outside of Australia. Few readers of this website have any idea what the hat in question looks like.

As for how to re-create the hat in the photo, I suggest you get a wide brimmed cowboy hat (with at least a four, maybe a five inch brim with a cattleman's crease. Select whatever brim width and color you want. I think you ought to start off with maybe a cheaper or used hat for your initial experiments.

Flatten the brim out with steam (maybe use a steam iron here) and turn the left edge of the brim up. Then, again using a teakettle's stream of steam, deepen the top indentation of the cattleman's crease and push the sides of the hat up vertically with no indentation.

The brim of the Bush Tucker Man's hat seems to go up on the sides and down in the front and back.

225_ray_mears.jpg

Then with a further application of steam, keep the back part of the crown high and pull the front of the top crease forward and down.

Here's a profile shot:

images

I can only guess what the band looks like from the Bush Tucker Man photos, but i think a narrow 1/4 to 1/2 inch leather band or brown ribbon would do the trick. Just remember to leave three or four inches at the end of the tie-off and overlap.

You asked about the site's point of origin: If you look around the site, you will see this as contact info:

Key Publishing Group

4018 NE 112th Ave Suite D-8
Vancouver, WA, 98682
360-882-3488

WOMBAT

New in Town
hat_sombrero.jpg

to get the bush tucker man style you start with this

DSCF3208.jpg

this is where i am at now
DSCF3210.jpg

the real bush tucker man

bushtuckerman.jpg

I have several of his movies and there are some diferent shapes he uses

WOMBAT

New in Town
thanks I am slowly getting there yes I live way out in the middle of no where so we get lots of australian wild life around us I do lots of trips into the bush to get pictures

Broken hill is a mining town closest town from us is 300 plus kilormeters or 3 hours drive

WOMBAT

New in Town
I actually come from Perth in western australia and meet my present wife on the internet and moved to wagga wagga nsw and I did meet the bush tucker man there that was 7 years ago

I have got most of his dvds which help a lot but the kettle one I did not so thank you I will get into that tomorrow

our local GP moved to canada last year she want to do some course over there I wonder how she is going our average summers hip 45 celcus and up to48 and nights never go below 3o celcus

WOMBAT

New in Town
We get pay tv here and they have had a show on called ice road truckers that is amazing driving on ice to the mine sites in outback canada

I would love to try that when it rains here the tar road or ok but we have more dirt roads and they turn into mud the only way to drive then is 4x4 high and foot flat to the floor all you get in 30 ks an hour and use lots of fuel

WOMBAT

New in Town
it seems that the hat has changed over time there is no set mould to go by so I just work out things with the videos I should have got them earlier

I was hoping some one had a master type copy of a basic set out

any way bed time here in the land down under

Trebuchet64_Fal

Familiar Face
Hi wombat,
I wreckon Les's hate ended up looking like that after countless hours sitting around a camp fire ,
i always thought that the hat he wore was an Australian infantry slouch type hat modified to his taste, not sure though,
Been 25 years since i was in broken hill , did they ever rebuild the stevens creek hotel after the fire ? .

WOMBAT

New in Town
ok is that the owl barn on Tiboburra road or out on the hwy I have been here for 5 years now

the one where the huge owl is out front is burned down and not sure if some one is camped in back of it

there is a pub on the corner to the small dam that is now private home

my wife was born here so I will ask if she knows any way we are both on a pension here I have a spinal injury and I am walking but cannot lift any thing to heavy the disk above a disk fusion is torn in a few places we got a home here for $42,000 just after the mine closed down and it has slowly gone up now its worth $90,000 easy as the mine reopened but now they just put of 400 of an 800 staff but we both love it here and so relaxing

the hat is some thing I have always wanted since I first saw the show but I had a aubra in wa but last year it fell apart after 15 years so I have changed to the one I have now

if you follow the show he does change the shap a little and many images give you the wrong idea

the main reason I love it is the huge brim it is great when I am out getting some good pictures of the wild life plus you know how hot it gets here

I hope things are ok down your way it was a sad day with all the fires

and so many dead it made me very sad and wonder why the fire danger was left some one should have realized how dangerious it was there and done back burning before hand

WOMBAT

New in Town
tuckerman.jpg

he now had doctorate in plate biology or some thing like that now
jcuprd_02556833.jpg

some one sell this as the bush tucker mans hat
AkubraHat-TheSombrero.gif
some of my Broken hill pictures

13182dust.jpg

typical dust storm we get so many now
bird-2.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/zucan/DSCF3160.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
DSCF1818.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
DSCF3551.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DSCF3343.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope these pictures bring back some good memories of the hill we often go to mildura shopping nice town but to busy for me

WOMBAT

New in Town
thank you I have seen many shows about your town amazing beaching and the everglades an amazing place to visit and it is on my list when I win lotto I will visit this town and i have few on the list

:p

WOMBAT

New in Town
ok I asked my wife the pub you are talking about is still there but private place now I am not sure how much of the old pub is there you cannot see to much

ifI go out that way I will get some pics for you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael