Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deciding size for Pea Coat, what to think of?

Kristofer

New in Town
Hi

In my search for the perfect pea coat destiny brought me to this forum. There seems to be a lot of pea coat-expertise around here so I just had to join the conversation. I’ve been looking for a nice vintage pea coat for this winter. After searching the Internet for days I found vintagetrends.com which also seems to be a favorite store among the members of this forum. My biggest concern however is the size. My hope is to get some guidance and feedback from you regarding this matter.

Here are some facts: I am 5 foot 9 (175cm) and weigh 154 lbs (70kg). I usually wear size medium and I am normal built. I wouldn’t say I’m an athlete but I am however somewhat broad over my shoulders. My chest measures 39 inches (99cm).

The plan is to wear the pea coat during the winter so I need room for a sweatshirt or a roll neck sweater under it. In other words, I can’t have a pea coat that fits like a suit if you know what I mean. Gary from vintagetrends.com adviced me to go for a size 40. Sounds sensible to me. On the other hand I read some threads on this forum where people went down in size rather than up, making me confused and unsure. Will a size 40 look ridiculously big on me? - or will a size 38 feel like a straitjacket? I measured my chest shirtless and got it to 39. Would you advise me to measure my chest with a sweater on instead? Then I might be closer to a size 40? But on the other hand, then I might change the conditions of getting an accurate reading of my actual size?

Thanx a million in advance / Kristofer

PS. if I find a size that fits me like this I would be happy:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?58578-quot-New-quot-1967-Peacoat-return-it-or-keep-it/page2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran