Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hi I am new here

WOMBAT

New in Town
Les Hiddins -- The Bush Tucker Man --
is an expert in survival, particularly survival in the bush. As a Major in the Australian Army, he specialized in learning and teaching survival skills and techniques in northern Australia.
The Bush Tucker Man television series allowed viewers to share some of that experience. Les Hiddins career as a Major in the Australian Army wrapped up a few years ago when he "retired" into the Reserves. After retiring, he produced further episodes of the Bush Tucker Man series, and some high quality documentary programs.

The Sombrero converted to the BTM look
The Bush Tucker Man hat style is not a shape that can be "blocked". We approximate the shape in our workshop using the Sombrero style from Akubra and leave it to the owner to give the new hat some character through hard wear and abuse!
The Sombrero can be given many other shapes, it comes as an "open crown" which means the crown of the hat has no pre determined shape and can be shaped by the owner or the hat shop selling the hat.

very good

Corky

Practically Family

WOMBAT

New in Town
my wife grew up in railway town in the early 50s and 60s and she left with her mum to wagga wagga in the 70s and 5 years ago moved back bought a home in the north for $43,000 not bad and yes basucally mot much has changed

even the home she grew up in and most of the old neghbors were still there

I hope you enjoy the images I have posted for some other ex pats

WOMBAT

New in Town
the shape of btm s hat was some govener way backin the 1800s he has said before I have got it close to the shape and I have dome what has been suggested but some of the hat makes to get the basic shape and at your own flair to it

some in here have said it looks a tad ugly itis compaired to fedora but mine is for shade and being able to get some decent images during summer

with temps of over 45celcus common you need a good hat

I have found the same from people who work in the north of western australia once the red dust gets into your veins you never really leave the place and in many cases feel unsettled till they get back to the red dust

regards for now it looks like we have found a few ex pats from the hill sadly many have to move to find work

I have looked at a number of images and videos and it seems there are some mild changes as time went on in time

WOMBAT

New in Town
The very first aubra hat was made out of rabbit skin most austrains will automatically know the hat with a badge of the rising sun

that was the start it has got bigger and better with many shapes and styles but this hat was the first and used in remeberance days

hats_akubra_military.jpg

sidney7

New in Town
Bush Tucker Man Hat

G'Day Wombat!:)

I am also a newbie.
Just wondering how you got on with your BTM hat?

BTM is a legend!

I believe he wore a new 'lemon squeezer' for the 2nd BTM series.
During my CSIRO years in the late 80's I recall helping with the nutritional analysis tests on the 'BTM' specimens that were collected.
He inspired me so much that I shaped my 'sombrero' like his.
BTM2640x480.jpg

BTM640x480.jpg

Steam shaping did'nt quite do the trick so I shaped it after a good watersoaking . . . . its been on a few bush trips, gone a bit soft and shrunken over the years.;)

I like your hatband, where did you get yours?
I had one similar but lost it somewhere out at Toorale station, Bourke.

Les's original hat he wore during BTM series 1 is at the Australian National Museum in Canberra, along with other items originally used during the TV production such as revolver, snack maps, camera equipment, back pack, boots and a variety of camping equipment and HF radio set.

http://www.nma.gov.au/collections-search/results?search=adv&ref=coll&collname=Les+Hiddins+collection

Oh by the way the BTM 2nd series (7 episodes) DVD was finally released on 1st oct.

...should be here any day now!. . . . I never tire from watching BTM.

Cheers mate.
Sid

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80