Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hi new here. Is wearing a leather jacket basically an invitation for trouble?

soundwavvves

One of the Regulars
Wow, WHAT A RIDE.

I am incredibly disappointed that, after NINETEEN PAGES, there is no closure in the form of a fit pic for this bizarre and depraved journey into one man’s madness.

Amazing work by Monitor and Nave, and kudos to all who kept a straight face while remaining supportive and encouraging. I suspect my comments would have been removed.

Wow, WHAT A RIDE.

I am incredibly disappointed that, after NINETEEN PAGES, there is no closure in the form of a fit pic for this bizarre and depraved journey into one man’s madness.

Amazing work by Monitor and Nave, and kudos to all who kept a straight face while remaining supportive and encouraging. I suspect my comments would have been removed.

I’m all for ignoring them once a post or two of support comes in. Twenty or more posts of encouragement? Really? At that point the dude needs professional help.

soundwavvves

One of the Regulars
I’m all for ignoring them once a post or two of support comes in. Twenty or more posts of encouragement? Really? At that point the dude needs professional help.
I think “excessive” sums up nearly all aspects of that thread.

The other takeaway, at least for me, is the incredible irony of putting so much thought and effort into recreating something that was given next to zero consideration or effort at time of production.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I always give benefit of the doubt, the same with x-file jacket thread, I just think what if someone really think that way or really wanted that baggy parka jacket... if memory serves he followed through with ordering a custom jacket from 5start based on the design Monitor did for him I think.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Heh. Weirdly, that's one I've never been asked... but then the traditional, collar cross-zip was never something you saw being worn on a motorcycle round my way until relatively recently (and then only by the occasional very much retro minded soul). In my experience they were much more associated with an interested in other, fashion subcultures - punk, metal, the rest. I had to start wearing an Irvin before getting that sort of "where's you're Spitfire?" comment. Funny old world.

Mn. Decor not a problem, but anything that looks like a three-patch club setup really is asking for it, whether they think you're in another club on their patch, or they realise it's fictional and think you're taking the proverbial.

Yeah. The guys who made Sons of Anarchy (fun show, if highly unrealistic) actually sought the 'ok' from some of the big MCs to use a three-piece 1%er style colours set, even fictional. Used consultants on the show (a number of prominent Angels were directly involved; Sonny Barger had a cameo, and one of the regular SoA players was actually an active Angel). It's worth noting that all the *official* merchandise from the show has a top rocker only, never a territory-claiming bottom rocker.

Yes indeed! We always encourage forumites to explore more widely what's on offer here. It'd be great to see more postings with great, vintage & vintage repop MC caps.

Which is a very classy and considerate response. Kudos to you for that.

View attachment 566207

Oh hell, PLEASE don't summon *that* one!

It was... an unfortunate situation. I often wish the button that allows us to move threads to a more appropriate part of this site could also let us move stuff to another, more appropriate forum entirely, like StyleForum or whatever.
in my country it is pretty safe to put on biker related patches on denim jackets, many are sold pre patched, because outlaw harley clubs don't really exist here, far too rich for common badguys, what is dangerous though is the logo of political parties especially nearing election year, or a logo of some football/soccer team from my city when being worn at neighboring city. those things will surely get us problems.

BTW is this pure coincidence since the video is released just yesterday, or is there someone working for youtubers making this kind of thread in forums to get reaction and inputs for their upcoming content

Dredgen Yor

New in Town
I know certain jackets and stuff basically are a signal to someone that you are willing to get into trouble. Like, you're not seeking it, but trouble finds a way to you.

My personal favorite jacket I wish to buy is a leather Schott Perfecto but I feel this is too tough and if I wear it, someone will try to target me to fight (not even necessarily to steal the jacket but to test somebody)

I also remember a jacket like the wool peacoat can also be worn in a way where you are ready to physically get into an altercation. If work unbuttoned, this signals to other men you are ready to do battle.

I understand this thread seems silly but these factors are kinda keeping me from buying a leather jacket, especially the double rider style. I don't wish to get into fist fights but wish to wear for my own personal taste and style. Simple, yet classic and cool looking.

Any thoughts to this? Any credence or personal experience to what I have mentioned here? Thanks guys and girls!
Well I for one am not a quitter and refuse to give up on this thread so fast gentlemen, out of all my jackets I use to own or currently own this one schott x sailor Jerry collaboration is the only one I’ve ever had an minor issue in. Well you see…..it was a dark and stormy night and I was drinking whiskey neat in healthy excess/success when all of a sudden…a mean looking dude comes walking through the saloons free hanging revolving doors limping in with a scar under his left eye and a patch on his right and a leather vest with some patches to match and some jeans with some patches on them too, looked like he was up to nothing good, you’d know the type if ya seen em’ ….anyways he comes right up to me and wouldn’t you know he asks me about my jackets patch and what it all means sizing me up in the process. I proceed to tell him some nerdy facts about the collaboration between sailor Jerry rum and schott and show him the cool flask it came with, he laughs buys me a drink and that was that. Moral of the story leather jacket=free drinks sometimes.

Attachments

• IMG_0534.jpeg
    IMG_0534.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2394.jpeg
    IMG_2394.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 130

polaris

New in Town
I have been wearing cross-zip motorcycle jackets for decades. I have yet to ever face anyone even slightly angry, disturbed, enraged, or deranged by the sight of any of my jackets on me. some family members initially gave me a slight bit of a hard time about some of them, but now they even just really like these jackets - on me. Maybe try wearing a bit more upscale clothes under the jacket? Such as this...(I only rarely wear a tie these days)
View attachment 564797

One thing I do is intentionally up the "positive" nature just a little when I have a leather jacket on. For example, insuring that I do indeed hold the door for anyone coming behind me. Or making sure to thank a casher at the store, and by name if that is possible. If you would like some other suggestions, maybe give this book a try:
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/207500
What jacket is this?

It was... an unfortunate situation. I often wish the button that allows us to move threads to a more appropriate part of this site could also let us move stuff to another, more appropriate forum entirely, like StyleForum or whatever.
Might change your mind if styleforum could send a few of theirs this way.

soundwavvves

One of the Regulars
Hello everyone, sorry if this is not the correct place to post this (mods feel free to reach out to me directly for a long and detailed explanation of my project, private personal details I’ve never told anyone before, and also other interesting facts and ideas I have) but I am looking for a very specific jacket and was hoping for some help tracking it down or perhaps some guidance on how to go about having it custom made.

It is the jacket worn by the man in this photo.

Let me just first say that I already understand it is not the most desired fit among the majority of members here, but please understand I have been wanting this specific jacket and fit—modeled exactly as pictured—for a while now. It is only featured briefly in a couple images on google, and I am assuming the man did not play a large role in whatever series or movie he was captured shooting, so only a few images exist. As a side note, if anyone here is interested in discussing general series and movie knowledge, I would be happy to humor you with my own knowledge on the subject, though this is not the place for that discussion and I don’t want to get off track but will, on occasion, delve into tangents with some of you (SPOILER ALERT!!).

Now that that has been said, I have a list of +- 10 questions.

1) What even is leather? Does it matter if it is from an animal? Are there any downsides to using leather sourced from a plastic animal?

Ugh, it appears my WiFi may be blocked by the site??? Having trouble posting the rest of my questions now. Mods, let me know if it would just be best for me to delete my account or be banned, as I know my post is not in alignment with the majority of the members here and I do not wish to be a disrupter on the forum. Please reach out to me directly if needed, I have plenty of time.

Okay, so the site appears to be working again??

2) there appears to be a pin on the collar of the jacket the man is wearing in the photo. I have heard that adding things like pins and patches on leather jackets may be a signal to others that you are available to discuss certain television series at length. Since I do have some time available (but not an endless amount of time available) which types of pins or color schemes would appropriately signal that I have between 20-30 minutes available for discussion, but nothing in the ballpark of one hour and certainly not two hours?

3) concerning the fitment of the jacket the man is wearing, it appears he is going for an oversized look (as popularized in the 90s…feel free to message me about the 90s, I have lots of oversized clothing and memorabilia from that era as well as some essays I’ve put together regarding the style and my experience searching for and wearing said style. But, again, I don’t want to get off topic here). What would be the best way to go about achieving the exact oversized look the man is styling in the photo?

I am on my phone now but will return later to continue writing out the rest of my specific questions in addition to answering each and every one of you directly and at length.

Attachments

• IMG_6079.jpeg
    IMG_6079.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Observe

One Too Many
I'm late to the party, but I have a stupid story to contibute to this ridiculous thread.

I actually did have someone get upset with me once for wearing a leather jacket, a Sears Oakbrook D-pocket. He was probably homeless and seemed mentally ill, which likely contributed to his hostility.

He asked me if I rode a motorcycle, to which I replied I didn't, and he made some remarks about how I disgusted him and he oughta make me take it off. He was wearing a baseball hat and jeans, so I considered asking him if he was a baseball player or a coal miner, but decided to keep the peace and simply moved on from his location.

I've since sold this jacket (along with many others, as my personal style has changed) but I thought I'd attach a picture of me wearing it for illustration.

20230614_083254.jpg

End of the day, it's all just a costume/LARP anyway, have fun with it and try not to take yourself (and others) too seriously. The original utility of a garment doesn't need to be a factor in your decision to wear it. Lots of modern clothing originated from military uniforms. Doesn't mean you're stolen valor because you wear a pair of khakis, or for an example even less removed from its original context, an M65 jacket.

Last edited:

Fonzie

One Too Many
Hello everyone, sorry if this is not the correct place to post this (mods feel free to reach out to me directly for a long and detailed explanation of my project, private personal details I’ve never told anyone before, and also other interesting facts and ideas I have) but I am looking for a very specific jacket and was hoping for some help tracking it down or perhaps some guidance on how to go about having it custom made.

It is the jacket worn by the man in this photo.

Let me just first say that I already understand it is not the most desired fit among the majority of members here, but please understand I have been wanting this specific jacket and fit—modeled exactly as pictured—for a while now. It is only featured briefly in a couple images on google, and I am assuming the man did not play a large role in whatever series or movie he was captured shooting, so only a few images exist. As a side note, if anyone here is interested in discussing general series and movie knowledge, I would be happy to humor you with my own knowledge on the subject, though this is not the place for that discussion and I don’t want to get off track but will, on occasion, delve into tangents with some of you (SPOILER ALERT!!).

Now that that has been said, I have a list of +- 10 questions.

1) What even is leather? Does it matter if it is from an animal? Are there any downsides to using leather sourced from a plastic animal?

Ugh, it appears my WiFi may be blocked by the site??? Having trouble posting the rest of my questions now. Mods, let me know if it would just be best for me to delete my account or be banned, as I know my post is not in alignment with the majority of the members here and I do not wish to be a disrupter on the forum. Please reach out to me directly if needed, I have plenty of time.

Okay, so the site appears to be working again??

2) there appears to be a pin on the collar of the jacket the man is wearing in the photo. I have heard that adding things like pins and patches on leather jackets may be a signal to others that you are available to discuss certain television series at length. Since I do have some time available (but not an endless amount of time available) which types of pins or color schemes would appropriately signal that I have between 20-30 minutes available for discussion, but nothing in the ballpark of one hour and certainly not two hours?

3) concerning the fitment of the jacket the man is wearing, it appears he is going for an oversized look (as popularized in the 90s…feel free to message me about the 90s, I have lots of oversized clothing and memorabilia from that era as well as some essays I’ve put together regarding the style and my experience searching for and wearing said style. But, again, I don’t want to get off topic here). What would be the best way to go about achieving the exact oversized look the man is styling in the photo?

I am on my phone now but will return later to continue writing out the rest of my specific questions in addition to answering each and every one of you directly and at length.
That jacket might be slightly oversized, but…
Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, my opinion, man.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I actually did have someone get upset with me once for wearing a leather jacket, a Sears Oakbrook D-pocket. He was probably homeless and seemed mentally ill, which likely contributed to his hostility.
On Christmas Day about five years ago I went for a solo stroll through downtown Berkeley. It was one of the few legitimately cold days we get around here so I was decked out in my red and black buffalo check Filson double mackinaw with the hat to match.
Almost nobody else was out walking that day but I did happen upon a homeless man who yelled out ”Look! It’s a f#cking lumberjack!” I just kept walking.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
I'd add this to the thread:
Never had any awkward / unpleasant moments due to the jacket I was wearing, but I've had PLENTY for the hat I was wearing.
Try wearing a cowboy hat in the Baltic states - being yeeeehaaaaaw'ed as a minimum is to be expected. People (mainly teenagers) laughing, giggling, making fun of you . Children pointing fingers with mouths wide open asking their parents "cowboy?!?!". Older folks might sneer from time to time. Young men coming up and mocking you.
So it's much more sketchy to wear a cowboy hat than a leather jacket from my perspective.
But I've also had dreadlocks for many years - that's even worse.

One Drop

One of the Regulars
On Christmas Day about five years ago I went for a solo stroll through downtown Berkeley. It was one of the few legitimately cold days we get around here so I was decked out in my red and black buffalo check Filson double mackinaw with the hat to match.
Almost nobody else was out walking that day but I did happen upon a homeless man who yelled out ”Look! It’s a f#cking lumberjack!” I just kept walking.

We need more information. Was it duck season or was it rabbit season?

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Never had any awkward / unpleasant moments due to the jacket I was wearing, but I've had PLENTY for the hat I was wearing.
Try wearing a cowboy hat in the Baltic states - being yeeeehaaaaaw'ed as a minimum is to be expected. People (mainly teenagers) laughing, giggling, making fun of you . Children pointing fingers with mouths wide open asking their parents "cowboy?!?!". Older folks might sneer from time to time. Young men coming up and mocking you.
So it's much more sketchy to wear a cowboy hat than a leather jacket from my perspective.
My respect to you. You're standing out in a good way.

Edward

Bartender

Could have been worse if you'd been obviously sporting the associate lingerie...

I get the cowboy thing with a fedora here in London. Most of the time tbh people are trying to be complimentary and just have a limited frame of pop-culture reference points... Though there was the guy who looked at me once and shouted "Hey John Wayne, where's your horse?" So I turned round, lifted the hat so my shaven dome was exposed and replied "Do you not think Yul Brynner would be closer the mark?" He didn't have an answer to that one, which made both of us laugh.

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars
I have been wearing cross-zip motorcycle jackets for decades. I have yet to ever face anyone even slightly angry, disturbed, enraged, or deranged by the sight of any of my jackets on me. some family members initially gave me a slight bit of a hard time about some of them, but now they even just really like these jackets - on me. Maybe try wearing a bit more upscale clothes under the jacket? Such as this...(I only rarely wear a tie these days)
View attachment 564797

One thing I do is intentionally up the "positive" nature just a little when I have a leather jacket on. For example, insuring that I do indeed hold the door for anyone coming behind me. Or making sure to thank a casher at the store, and by name if that is possible. If you would like some other suggestions, maybe give this book a try:
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/207500
Great tip on the book. I have bought several copies when it was sold through Brooks Brothers. A couple of friends and relatives have received anonymously gifted copies in the mail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24