Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High Crown

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
None of the newer factory fedoras will have such classic characteristics. If you're willing to spend the money, go for a custom hat. I am having one made for me from Falcon Park Hattery. My preferences come to $190.00.

Chief000731

Practically Family
This is one of my High Crown Fedoras it is from Arnolds Hattery in NY (gone now)
Sorry these pictures aren't that good the crown is 6" open I bash in a tear drop crease.
Fedora217.jpg

Fedora215.jpg

This one is my Von Rudie Fedora a Stephen Stetson it ha a 5 3/4 open crown... I hope this helps Chief.

HatsForSale046-1.jpg

Yeah thats the hat I'm looking for I love that hat.

Chief000731

Practically Family
Major Moore makes VERY nice Fedoras anyway you want the he just made mine... This is The Chief Special he made for me it's my favorite hat also. It is custom made to my specifications. And his prices are very good I will use him all the time He did a GREAT job on my Fedora...
SundayPics012.jpg

SundayPics015.jpg

SundayPics017.jpg

Good point. But $1200?

So far, Black Sheep has great prices and I think the best models. I think I'm infatuated.

Does anyone have any experiences with them?

Chief000731

Practically Family
My Fedora from Major Mooreat Buckaroo Hatters is 100% Beaver Felt and his prices are FANTASTIC and like Art the Major is a Lounge member.
Chief

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
>>>>I'm looking for a fedora with a round about 2" brim, high crown (5-5.5"), fairly straight sides.

Thanks in advance.>>>>

Check out my pics and call Mr Art Fawcett! You're in luck

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Dazed and Confused

Yeah, I'm with both of you.

His Dillinger hat ...

This just sounded wrong. I've just checked through Art's "Limited Edition Gallery", twice, and he has no model called "Dillinger" and most of his hats are $385. He does have one listed at $600, and one listed for less than $300, but nothing higher than $600.

You must have Art confused with some other hat maker.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
This just sounded wrong. I've just checked through Art's "Limited Edition Gallery", twice, and he has no model called "Dillinger" and most of his hats are $385. He does have one listed at $600, and one listed for less than $300, but nothing higher than $600.

You must have Art confused with some other hat maker.
Yeah, I thought that was quite odd, too.

Art has no Dillinger hat of which I am aware.

Edward

Bartender
To OP:

Either go custom, or buy an Akubra Federation and have a competent hat store cut the brim down for you.

Heh... Baron Hats was the first thing I thought of when the price was mentioned - I even looked up their site before reading in the thread and seeing y'all had gone there too. Seems they have a certain reputation. ;)

I wonder if he was intentionally causing confusion. It wouldn't be the first time.

Who, OP or Baron Hats?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I really don't get why anyone would buy Baron's Dillinger. As a "reproduction," every spec is wrong except for the width of the ribbon. The brim is too wide (I am not a "master hatter" and even I could figure that out by looking at it) the block isn't an exact match, which is forgivable to an extent; but mostly it would be silly to buy Baron's because the real deal from Optimo, in the correct oxblood felt, is about half as much!

Edward

Bartender
I really don't get why anyone would buy Baron's Dillinger. As a "reproduction," every spec is wrong except for the width of the ribbon. The brim is too wide (I am not a "master hatter" and even I could figure that out by looking at it) the block isn't an exact match, which is forgivable to an extent; but mostly it would be silly to buy Baron's because the real deal from Optimo, in the correct oxblood felt, is about half as much!

I've never handled one so I can't speak to quality, but accurate look aside, their stuff has always just seemed silly expensive to me. Somebody must be buying, though, or they wouldn't still be around?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
If you are really looking for a true Dillinger hat, I agree... why not go to the source and have the man that made the hat for the movie make the hat for you? You can't go wrong with Optimo when it comes to the custom realm. If he still has the felt color and the right ribbon... well... that's the one to get it from. Same goes for any movie hat where the hatter still has the materials and the skills. If HJ still had the same staff and the same materials, they'd be the company to hit for the Indy hat... unfortunately they made the one I wanted over 20 years ago, and since then... well the hatter, the materials and even the block for the right look, the one they did in Raiders, is apparently gone.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Last I checked, Optimo still shows the Ox Blood on their website, although the 2" ribbon they used on Depp's hat is long gone. They use a similar color in 1.5" width on their website "Dillinger."

As far as the Indy hat, the AB guys think that the block used on their Henry factory made hat may indeed be "the" Raiders block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk