Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

high Hats

new2hats

A-List Customer
After many purchases off ebay and increasing my hat collection, I have a question regarding fit and crown shape:

I have some hats that sit high on my head. Are they supposed to touch the ears or have space?

I also notice that these hats that seem a little to high for my head also have a "center dent" shape. I think that the more "C-crown" shaped hats sit lower, or is this my imagination?

If I have a center dent hat and it sits to high, do I force it down to feel right even if it makes an impression on the center dent? Or is this just the shape of the hat and it should be reblocked? Can I do this myself with some steam and stiffner?

Any insight?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
There are different rules of thumb depending on who you ask. Some say two finger widths above the ear, some say 1" above the eyebrow, etc. Whatever the case, the hat is not really supposed to touch your ears, with the possible exception of Mr. Spock I suppose.

The crease can have a slight effect on how it fits, depending on the degree of 'ovalurness' (I know, that's not a word) your skull has. For example, my Stetson 100 runs a bit big for a size 7 and it will drop down too far on my head if it's with a diamond crease because that makes the hat have a slightly wider oval to it. Fits me much better with a center dent (or Ft. Worth crease as I have on it now).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass