Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High Large Leathers

coolruehl

New in Town
A new brand in Japan, only launched horsehide leather.
This tanned leather looks great after break-in.

Oklahoma City=LEVI'S TYPE-1
Still Water=LEVI'S TYPE-2
Broken Arrow=LEVI'S TYPE-3
Jones=Lee Rider
Moore=Lee Storm Rider
Guthrie=Lee Cowboy 101J
(information from mobile01 CEI)

Guthrie WWII Tanned (little different with Guthrie)
(Picture from High Large Leathers Instagram and Heritage Harbour by Hank FB )

JC0c14P.jpg

8eTB7EK.jpg

6pjoZim.jpg

ZCyIVKr.jpg

TYhVbzb.jpg

ua9OUNf.jpg

4g62OSx.jpg

(Picture from Facebook Heritage Harbour by Hank )
t3y6lXW.jpg

After break-in
aVNl6hU.jpg

o90GwxZ.jpg

aG8acXT.jpg

vsBzt8E.jpg

EvXk8xO.jpg

LE1JwiL.jpg

W6fHS8C.jpg

Rl1zxOX.jpg

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like the design, but in denim for me.
Anyone with a 1937 Lee 101j in a 38 or 40 please let me know!
I have a size 38 Lee Archive 1937. I'd seriously suggest getting the Warehouse x Lee (with or without blanket) in stead of the Lee archives one.
Coming back to the topic of High Large, my friend received his MTO raw Okahoma 2 weeks ago. The leather is not as "clean" as Mister Freedom's campus. There are a number of imperfections and smudges. I guess it isn't a big deal given that the the raw ones are meant to be abused to achieve the desired look.
My friend and I were discussing which model to order. I told him to get the Lee in stead of the Type 1 because if the leather is very thick, it will cause a lump on the cinch back whilst the Lee will have a cleaner back. Well, he prefers the type 1 and he admits that there is indeed a lump caused by the thick hide.

Attachments

• IMG-20160320-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20160320-WA0004.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 1,253
Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
Interesting names they have chosen for the product line. I'll bet the jackets age really well. I've been in all of these towns in the last two weeks. By the way, hopefully someone can pass along to the manufacturers that "Stillwater" is one word, not two.
Any chance that a "Burns Flat" is on the horizon?

Blackadder

Trying on my friend's Oklahoma. There are some more imperfections on the raw hide but I only took picture of a couple.

Attachments

• IMG_20160327_210613939.jpg
    IMG_20160327_210613939.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,398
  • IMG_20160327_210816150.jpg
    IMG_20160327_210816150.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 1,323
  • IMG_20160327_211013814.jpg
    IMG_20160327_211013814.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 1,318
  • IMG_20160327_211031923.jpg
    IMG_20160327_211031923.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,322
  • IMG_20160327_211256612.jpg
    IMG_20160327_211256612.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,331
  • IMG_20160327_211518341.jpg
    IMG_20160327_211518341.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,351
  • IMG_20160327_211040982.jpg
    IMG_20160327_211040982.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 1,347
  • IMG_20160327_211247413.jpg
    IMG_20160327_211247413.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,316

Blackadder

Very nice! I love it. I bet it also costs a million dollar, though. . .
Not a style I'd pay that much for.
I doubt they make it in your size even if you are interested. The one I am trying on is 40 and I normally wear 36 save for the RM Buco J-24 which is a size 38. Note that I am only wearing a short sleeve tee inside. :confused:

Blackadder

Not a brand new company - been around for about 18 months. My understanding is that they don't ship outside Japan, although, of course, that may have changed.
The raw hide is kind of new. Came out fall last year. My friend read the Lightning magazine featured article and placed his order last Decemeber. High Large has overseas dealer but I think in Asia only. You can order thru their Japanese dealers from overseas. That's what my friend did. Waiting period was about 3-4 months. They do not keep any stock themselves and don't even have a showroom.
Dealer in Taiwan
https://www.facebook.com/Eastern-Hero-Company-1413709102263509/

yakima

One of the Regulars
Looking at the main site, they only now show models based on Levi - i.e., type 1, type 2 and type 3. The pre '48 Lee (the Guthrie), and the post 48 Lee Rider seem to have disappeared. A couple of the shops are still showing them, but all are out of stock. A shame.

I do like the early Levi (type 1 & 2), although whether I would spend around £800/$1150 dollars on a shaky delivery chain - I'm not so sure.

The stuff on the main site certainly looks good, but look to have had some serious HWT - something that not everyone seems to support on here.

BTW, Bronson of China did a type 1 in deerskin and a type 2 in split cowhide - both very nice (and less than £200!), but sadly now all sold out.

Blackadder

Looking at the main site, they only now show models based on Levi - i.e., type 1, type 2 and type 3. The pre '48 Lee (the Guthrie), and the post 48 Lee Rider seem to have disappeared. A couple of the shops are still showing them, but all are out of stock. A shame.

I do like the early Levi (type 1 & 2), although whether I would spend around £800/$1150 dollars on a shaky delivery chain - I'm not so sure.

The stuff on the main site certainly looks good, but look to have had some serious HWT - something that not everyone seems to support on here.

BTW, Bronson of China did a type 1 in deerskin and a type 2 in split cowhide - both very nice (and less than £200!), but sadly now all sold out.
My understanding is that High Large workshop style is quite typical of Japanese workshops. Their products are made to order whether from individuals or dealers. For example, Clinch also does not have a showroom. If you go to High Large and Clinch shops in Tokyo, you may be disappointed because they are just workshops with nothing to sell and only a handful of items on display (I am not sure those were even intended as display at all). You won't see their full range of products. That is quite different from Bronson who is a retailer/designer who designs, outsources the production then sells them online.

yakima

One of the Regulars
My understanding is that High Large workshop style is quite typical of Japanese workshops. Their products are made to order whether from individuals or dealers. For example, Clinch also does not have a showroom. If you go to High Large and Clinch shops in Tokyo, you may be disappointed because they are just workshops with nothing to sell and only a handful of items on display (I am not sure those were even intended as display at all). You won't see their full range of products. That is quite different from Bronson who is a retailer/designer who designs, outsources the production then sells them online.

Yeah, that all makes sense.

Aero Leather in Scotland, if you think about it, operate on a similar process to High Large, and I have bought stuff from them for years.

And I guess you could say LVC was a little like Bronson - they design stuff and get it made in factories all over the world. And it soon sells out.

But all of that is irrelevant to a customer.

I can either buy it, or I can't buy it. Now with Aero, I can pick up the phone and discuss how long it will take to get a jacket. And if I should need some alteration, I know Aero will sort that out for me.

I can't do that with High Large or Bronson, although, out of the two, Bronson are a damn sight easier to trade with, and sell their stuff for a fraction of High Large's prices.

Despite the language barrier, I can buy Bronson stuff with a couple of clicks of a mouse. High Large, even by Japanese standards, are slippery when it comes to contact.

Last edited:

yakima

One of the Regulars
Here is a pic (my apologies for the quality) of a jacket made by Aero Leather a couple of years ago.

It was a test sample and so looks very "new" - the finished article was in a different hide.

But they still have the patterns.....and possibly, this jacket (size 40)

tnfYVd.jpg

With a bit of wear (or HWT) this would look just like the (I must say, oddly named) High Large jackets. ;)

Blackadder

Yeah, that all makes sense.

Aero Leather in Scotland, if you think about it, operate on a similar process to High Large, and I have bought stuff from them for years.

And I guess you could say LVC was a little like Bronson - they design stuff and get it made in factories all over the world. And it soon sells out.

But all of that is irrelevant to a customer.

I can either buy it, or I can't buy it. Now with Aero, I can pick up the phone and discuss how long it will take to get a jacket. And if I should need some alteration, I know Aero will sort that out for me.

I can't do that with High Large or Bronson, although, out of the two, Bronson are a damn sight easier to trade with, and sell their stuff for a fraction of High Large's prices.

Despite the language barrier, I can buy Bronson stuff with a couple of clicks of a mouse. High Large, even by Japanese standards, are slippery when it comes to contact.
I agree with you that it is not easy to contact High Large directly regarding an order. I also doubt if High Large takes overseas order from an individual. My friend is a long time customer of one of its dealers (also a dealer for Lewis and Langlitz) in Japan, so he placed his order through that dealer which I guess is kind of like Thurston's in relation to Aero, Vanson etc. My friend did discuss sizing with HL's dealer but only on which size to get as HLs are not made to measure.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy