Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High rise khakis

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Trotsky so right about At the Front's khakis. Dollar-for-dollar they are the best "premium" khakis on the market.

I'm always surprised that people don't go the route of buying reproductions intended for reenactor more. I've definitely seen a number of threads with tiles like "who makes to most authentic [_____________]?" Historical reproduction companies almost always win in this regard plus, since their products have to stand up to active use, they tend to produce hard wearing products.

I have thought about buying at ATF, but shipping to EU and import duties make them pretty expensive.. I know, Buzz Rickson's ain't cheap either, but they do have a distribution through Eastman LC in England. So, pricewise, they're comparable.. The thing is, I heard/read great things about those Japanese repros.. not so much about ATF.. must have overlooked the threads here on the lounge

then again,

unavailability pushes me towards ATF again, so, I might order me a pair (or two)

I own some Dickies 874s, but I don't like the cut very much.. they're too trim fitting for my taste.. I need me a full-cut chino you know..

Last edited:

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Dickies 1922 is a more full-cut and high rise pant than Dickies 874, but they are much more expensive. Retail price is around $175.00.

Ja, I saw them.. pricey indeed. I was looking for a Dickies 875 (I have one), it's a more relaxed fit but they're discontinued...

Edward

Bartender
Trotsky so right about At the Front's khakis. Dollar-for-dollar they are the best "premium" khakis on the market.

I'm always surprised that people don't go the route of buying reproductions intended for reenactor more. I've definitely seen a number of threads with tiles like "who makes to most authentic [_____________]?" Historical reproduction companies almost always win in this regard plus, since their products have to stand up to active use, they tend to produce hard wearing products.

As a general rule, you can't argue with the military stuff. Only shame is the limitation of colour (for obvious reasons).

svennex

New in Town
A few words of warning. Avoid the What Price Glory(WPG) repro Khakis like the plauge. Historical accuracy aside, they are THE worst pants i've ever paid money for. Even by the standards of cheap, Asian made goods they are just plain bad.

Needed repairs before being worn, no flat felled seams, poor looking buttons, Washing causes the (super stiff) white lining to shrink more than the shell thus warping the pants like crazy.

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Hey Gang,

I'm interested in all this. I have the WW2 Impressions chinos and the fit is bad. High waisted but weird cut and slightly tappered. I'd like a true straight or wide leg. With that said, are the ATF chinos tappered slightly as well?

Thanks,
Clint

Last edited:

Baggers

Practically Family
ATF's khakis have become one of my daily wear trousers since buying two pair when they first came out. Great fit, very well constructed, and a good U.S. khaki shade. Another plus is that mine have barely shrunk, even after washing several times. I machine wash in cold on a gentle cycle and then hang to dry suspended full length by the bottoms from a pants hanger. The heavy weight cotton twill material also takes a starch very well making for a extremely crisp look. Cbrunt, yes, the legs are tapered slightly, but so were originals.

I also bought two of the officer's pattern shirts and was very impressed by the cut. Size 16x34 fits my 42 regular jacket sized shoulders perfectly without any overhang and the collar has a nicely shaped lower edge that curves down to the points and lays perfectly when buttoned. The bodies are full cut, but not overly so. Simply a trim, well fitted garment. Both pieces are great value for the money.

All the above is stated without any personal experience with either Buzz Rickson's or WWII Impressions products, but with much experience with What Price Glory's. I found WPG's version inferior with regard to fit, material, and construction. Simply not worth the price. Jerry is the best for British uniforms, but I'm sticking with ATF for most of my U.S. stuff.

mattfink

Practically Family
Can anyone give me a tip on the ATF sizing for their khaki's? Wonder if I should size up, size down or just right?

Baggers

Practically Family
ATF has the best advice regarding size on their web site. I bought my normal sizes and it all fit right out of the box. My only caution is to measure your waist at or slightly above your navel, no lower. A lot of people, especially those in their 20s, mistakenly think their waist is at hip level because that's where they let their trousers sit. Also, if you need to get the legs shortened wait until after you've washed them at least twice. The web site says they'll shrink 2 inches, but mine barely did at all.

FYI: They're in the process of switching over to a new web site with a virtual shopping cart and they caution there might be discrepancies regarding price and what's currently in stock. I always place my order by phone, that way there are no mistakes.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I bought a pair of 36x34 ATF Khaki pants and they shrunk 2 inches in the inseam like he said they would. I dried mine though, also like he says to. You REALLY need to follow his instructions because at some point, someone will dry your pants, or wash them in hot water and they won't fit anymore. Guess how I know that?

Went back to the parents for the weekend and Mom washed them in hot water "accidentally".

me

Baggers

Practically Family
I remember you having that issue, but I didn't recall you actually stating that they'd been washed in hot. That will do it! In my case, I do all my own laundry and never use hot water on anything, so I can get away with saying I had minimal shrinkage. If there's any possibility that some one else will ever do the wash, then by all means follow Rollin's instructions.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Baggers

If you follow Rollin's advice, the pants only really shrink ONCE. They also shrink TO the size listed on them instead of shrinking FROM the size listed on them.

later

Baggers

Practically Family
Hi Baggers

If you follow Rollin's advice, the pants only really shrink ONCE. They also shrink TO the size listed on them instead of shrinking FROM the size listed on them.

later

Unlike some vendors' products I've dealt with in the past. So that's a good thing. ;-)

Baggers

Practically Family
ATF is still working on the new web site, so not all the pictures have been moved over, but there's not much more to see. The only thing not illustrated is the button fly and the two back pockets which are non-buttoning and unflapped. Beyond that, they're just a Plain Jane pair of full cut trousers with plain bottoms.

And no holes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy