Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High Style.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Where the Flying Floy-Floy?

Root, if you're over 6' tall, where DO you find those suits? I'm beginning to believe all men were 30" waist 38" chest dwarves back in The Day.
Of course, Ohio doesn't have many vintage stores. I think CA has more of that sort of thing.
By the way, BT has a name for the low-waist long-tie look: Upside Down Man.

I'm looking forward to seeing the goods ShanghaiJack is putting together.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Where do I find vitnage?

Yes, California was a good place about 4-8 years ago. It's getting tough to find any suits around here. But, I still do find pants on the off occasion. Most of the stuff people find now days are leftovers that no one used. So, all the small sized stuff is still around. I don't believe that most men were short back then. Yes, there were a good number of them but seeing my closet tells me there were a number of taller men back then. It is harder to find 30's clothes in my size but, I find them some times and I'm glad of it.

You have to look every where. I'm like Indy in that regards! I'm always keeping an eye out for the stuff and also vintage dealers are always looking for large stuff for me too. It helps to have more then one person looking.

Good luck,

Root.

PS. Upside-down man! That's perfect! I love it!

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
since I finally have a pair of high waisted pants that almost fit me (I need to grow...) I figure I'll post a pic in this thread....the inseam is a little short, but I tried my best to wear it as high as I could anyway, and I think it looks pretty good.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
The problem with low waisted pants is...

/
pPOLO2-2119047_standard_dt.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, that's something I don't care for. Seeing the belt and waist band under the coat is just not classy. It might be considered sexy by some but, it's not in my book.

Root.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey Kentucky Blues! Get yourself a thin belt to accentuate how high the waist of those pants are. You'll like how it looks!
flat-top

ginobarracuda

Familiar Face
For what it's worth, that's a good job of cloning WildRoot there, Murph; irregardless of the pant height..

Now, if you could just clone his car for me and have it delivered to my place, I'd be much appreciative..

:clap

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Don't change a thing,Root!
With that attire you do justice to your stunning car,if I saw you pass you'd turn my head well.
I would love to be able to turn myself out so perfectly just once.

JiveAngel

New in Town
Well I won't rule on what I think about ALL men in low waisted pants. Some skinny young studs look pretty good in them to me. But my baby's got a bootie. Low waisted pants don't fit him well at all. They sit much higher in the back to accommodate his bum and low in front. Even though Craig's only got a tiny bit of a tummy, they make him look like one of those old guys who lets his gut hang over the top of his trousers and insists he still wears the same size he did when he was 22 .

Craig recently had on the HOTTEST pair of NEW high waisted pants. He looked great. They instantly made him look taller and thinner. They fit his waist snugly and hugged his back side in a way this wife REALLY appreciated. ;)

Sadly the $185 price tag meant he had to choose between the pants and a really nice patch-pocket 40s style sport jacket. He picked the jacket.

The shop is D/L Cerney, 13 East 7th St, NY, NY 10003; 212-673-7033
No website at this time.

We came back to DC all excited to tell one of our taller vintage-collecting friends about Duane, but he already knew him.
Not sure where you taller gents live, but if you are near or visit NYC, it would be well worth a visit to Duane's shop.

FYI we also discovered Duane Cerney used to collect and sell vintage. He has a stash of vintage shirts in a warehouse some place. He said he actually has large sizes (like 17 neck) and extra long 35-36 sleeves. Styles include ones that button in back, ones that take detachable collars. And he has the collars too. His prices for the shirts seem really high to me (approx $200). He claims he isn't really interested in selling vintage any more. Which to me means some should relieve him of his collection.

Cerney also sells women's clothing. Classic styles, but not as clearly reminiscent of a particular era as the mens.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I agree with lower waisted pants being suitable for skinny guys, being one myelf, but on a suit with the jacket, I find it unproportional to the jacket. Like jeans, I generally find myself buying the stuff from Hollister over the vintage Levi's. They just suit me better in that department.
But if I were shopping for a pair of dress pants, its at the waist or belly button as a priority!

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
WHO said an afternoon nap wasn't good for you? Afterall, I woke up finding these babies waiting for me- a pair of grayish blue vintage wool pants. The seller says he thinks they're from 1949 and the US Air Force. Can anyone identify these slacks?
I just took a couple of shots when I woke up, so pardon the bed-head and their bluriness. Normally I have a clean part, courtesy of Royal Crown hair dressing. After the first picture I had enough sense to put a hat on to cover up the mess. More pictures to come once I get them hemmed or cuffed (they're a bit long). Size 28W 31L, and has a "RAID" zipper?
DSC00507.jpg

DSC00511.jpg

DSC00508.jpg

This is a picture with my newly acquired old a-2 that I posted about a few weeks ago.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Cool!

You know, I believe those are US Air Force pants. The Air Force dropped OD green uniforms in 1947 when the Air Force broke off from the Army.

You mentioned that you believe low waisted pants look ok on skinny guys. Well, why do that when the high waist looks so cool on you! That's a good little outfit you got going on there!

Say, did those come with cuffs or did you just roll the hem up? If they're too long, you should cuff them up. I think that would look really cool and old fashioned.

Good job!

Root.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Ok, so then the seller wasn't lying! I personally prefer high-waisted pants, but are hard to find. The last pair of high-waisted pants I bought was a pair of Shanghai Tang linen slacks when I visited Hong Kong. $30US summer clearance.They look really vintage with braces on.
I would dress like this everyday, except the Taiwanese humidity can be quite unbearable in wool. Even in cotton, I looked like I took a shower when I got home after walking home from play rehearsal at school.
Root- I just rolled them up for now. I'm going to pay a visit to my tailor and ask him to put brace buttons and cuff them later this week. I would just hem it, but I agree. The cuffs just look so d*mn cool.

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
I have a great appreciation for modern european tailors. Most double breasted suits are two button instead of the common one button variations available at your local mall.

There is an hourglass shape to most of the european cuts. I was recently in Paris and I must say I am quite impressed with the Parisian designers that were showcased in the city. Very talented.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Cheap and readily available high-waisted pants!

I've posted about this before but-

Like Ghos7a55assin's new pants, post-WW2/Korea and a little later Army and AF pants are readily available- the AF blue ones as above and the 'new olive' ones are in many surplus stores and you can get a pair on eBay for as little as $9. They're all wool or wool/nylon blend and loose and high-waisted- available in small and large sizes too. I have a few pairs and they're pretty damn kool.
A good 'vintage' alternative. Olive and Navy are a good addition-

Example:
http://www.armynavysales.com/Mercha..._Code=01&Product_Code=MP129&Category_Code=PNT

This place, as most do, have a heap of 'vintage-able gear'.

http://www.armynavysales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=01&Category_Code=PNT
http://www.armynavysales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=01&Category_Code=OVR
http://www.armynavysales.com/Mercha..._Code=01&Product_Code=CJ111&Category_Code=JPK
http://www.armynavysales.com/Mercha..._Code=01&Product_Code=CA119&Category_Code=SUN
http://www.armynavysales.com/Mercha..._Code=01&Product_Code=CH114&Category_Code=CAP
http://www.armynavysales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=01&Category_Code=PEA

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot