Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highwaisted pants

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
In my opinion, the rise is the main difference between modern and vintage pants. Thanks to MattDeckard, I have found that properly fitted pants are still available at EddieBauer.com They have the long rise, and a watch pocket.

I like the pleated khakis, with the Long Rise.
http://www.eddiebauer.com/eb/cat_default.asp?nv=2|21472|22580|22974

Here's the pair I got today. I still have to get them hemmed. Now I have to work on finding shirts that aren't so "Blousy", and look more trim. The problem I have with this is that I have big shoulders/neck and a smallish waist in comparison. If you get a 18" neck in a shirt, they automatically think you have a 54" waist to go with it, when I need a 38-40" waist.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
It's hard to tell in that picture, but with a short 40's tie, it will look more pulled together.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Those are the Khaki's I live by. The best part is the ability to order them with the higher rise. Most modern pants just sit too low to be comfortable on me. If you order them as tall or with a higher rise you get the old school high waist that sits it up at your belly button or above.

Legs are pretty full too with little taper.

The nano car ones Zohar bought are great for holding a crease and keeping off stains. I like to buy the plain cotten ones for the vintage wrinkled look.

They are tough.

Here is the waist height difference, you're pretty tall so its hard to notice without refference.
Here's Zohar his lower waisted pants.
110_1092-vi.jpg

havershaw

Practically Family
I think I'm fortunate. I have about 10-12 pair of vintage high-waisted pants, three or four NOS (I had to put the cuffs in myself!).

They are awesome. I almost never wear any of my other vintage pants that are regular-waisted. I think, by the way, this is why a lot of old men wear their pants high enough to keep their cuffs from getting wet in the event of a flood - they're just used to the old high-waisted numbers, and of course, they don't make 'em that way anymore (for the most part). I discovered this when I tried to wear a pair of my 50s naval dress pants, which have a normal waist, after wearing high-waisted pants for a while...I had them pulled up way too high, as I was used to having the waist of the pants be well above my belly button.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Yeah, I'm going to have to get these cuffed since I got them unhemmed. What size cuffs do you guys recommend?

STHill

One of the Regulars
Zohar, I'm glad you brought up this subject. I have often wondered if ordering my size in a "tall" would accomplish the high waist fit. I'm understanding from what you said that it does work. Is that correct?

Related to that, I have a pair of Bill's khakis in a "regular," size, and they have a high waist, even though they are the slimmer cut "M2" model. I love these pants--highly recommended for casual khakis.

Feraud

Bartender
Thanks for the pointer to Eddie Bauer. I have always preferred higher rise pants. They feel a lot more comfortable(natural) than a short rise cut. I'll leave the "hip huggers" to the hippies!;)
I have a couple of pair of pants that have a high rise. Or is it that I have a short torso?!:) Either way, I get good natured comments from the wife. I always joke back to her, "grandpa would approve!"..We have a good laugh about it.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
You know how youth today say where is the flood to old guys wearing hight waisted pants?

I think if high waisted comes back in 20 years and the youth of today are all grown up, they will still be wearing their pants off their hips and the new youth will be asking where's the droubt?

Feraud

Bartender
'Where's the drought' is a good one!

If kids today think "floods" look funny imagine what their grandkids are going to think about them! Imagine the comment, "Grandpa is too old to know his pants are falling down!"

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't think the waist would be any higher on those pants, just baggier. And those wide legs might look a bit sloppy as well! Just my opinion! flat-top

Marlowe

One of the Regulars
"Floods," or "floodwaters" aren't pants with high waists, they're pants that are too short in the legs. (So you can wade around in a flood and not get your pants wet.) Bogart wore high-waisted pants, and no one accused him of wearing "floods."

LetterJ

New in Town
There are actually quite a few places that sell long rise pants: Lands End, Eddie
Bauer, Tall.com, Joseph A Banks. Pretty much anywhere that sells big and tall will usually have long rise.

I've been buying long rise pants pretty much since I started dressing like an adult. I've gotten so used to them that occasionally, I slip and forget to order them long rise and end up with a pair of regular rise and have to send them back immediately.

Incidentally, I buy most of my clothes mail order given my large size and have good luck with all of the above vendors.

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
Time for a stupid question from an infrequent poster...ahem...

So...how high should the waist be? Bear with me, please, I'm being serious...

I've got a vintage suit I picked up. Love it. And despite my size, the jacket actually FITS ME (I wear a 42-44).

I'm having the pants hemmed, and I was smart enough to figure out that the waist should be higher (which explains the 10" worth of ZIPPER!), so I had them placed HIGH before pinning them for the hem. I've even gotten suspenders to match my tie...I *think* I'm ready for Sir Winston's...

...but I may have them TOO high. Is there such a thing? (If they're chafing my armpits, they're too high, right? ;)

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
Since these are in fact vintage, I guess I did it right! Thank you VERY much for the reassurance! When they are done I will try and post a pic for giggle's sake. ;)

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn