Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highwayman Finally Starting to Look Good

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I have a brown FQHH Highwayman that's about 3 years old.
I've never treated it gingerly, but today takes the cake.
I changed the oil in my wife's car wearing it.
Scratched the heck out of the back and elbows sliding around my driveway.
Even got a few drops of motor oil on my sleeve as a badge of honor. :D
I gotta say, it looks killer now.
I always intended to beat the heck out of this jacket, and now I know what it can take.
I wouldn't be afraid to do anything in it.
Anybody else care to share some "rough wear" stories of leather jackets?
Lenny

I have a brown FQHH Highwayman that's about 3 years old.
I've never treated it gingerly, but today takes the cake.
I changed the oil in my wife's car wearing it.
Scratched the heck out of the back and elbows sliding around my driveway.
Even got a few drops of motor oil on my sleeve as a badge of honor. :D
I gotta say, it looks killer now.
I always intended to beat the heck out of this jacket, and now I know what it can take.
I wouldn't be afraid to do anything in it.
Anybody else care to share some "rough wear" stories of leather jackets?
Lenny

Awesome, but…
TTIWWOP!!! lol

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I had a feeling you'd be the first one to call for pix Butte:D
As requested, here they are.
BTW, I'm using it as a door mat now. :D
jack1.jpg
jack2.jpg
jack3.jpg
jack4.jpg

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Hell yes but my stories go back a few years.
Around 1984 I had a 1960 Ford Zephyr, it was one of those vehicles that had a column change gearbox. Being over 20 years old this was considered just an old car then so probably had had virtually no major maintenance done to the linkage. In their time these cars were quite well known for jamming up the linkage and 20 years of wear would only add to complications.
So, a dark rainy night I dropped someone off then drove to a point to turn the car around. In my impatience I pushed the gear leaver into reverse while still travelling forward at around 1/10 of a mile per hr, in other words nearly stopped. And that did it. all the actuating rods criss crossed themselves and that was it, we were going nowhere. So I popped the bonnet(hood) and gave the rods a good tug, no chance. So it was under I got, in the rain and the gravel. I pulled and tugged and eventually got the thing free. So with a soaked shirt, lots of road dirt and greasy hands we were on our way again. All this in my trusty Aero(Battersea)A2.
More years passed and this jacket went through a few outside romantic interludes, but much much more, leaning on beer drenched bar tops. I also wore the jacket to work every day, worked on cars when it was a bit chilly and it also got soaked in rain, petrol and various other substances.
The patina on this jacket has developed over the years and looks fantastic, Though I would not recommend doing these things purposely, If you have to, then you have to.
And 30 years later this old jacket was still going strong, I have fed with my favourite conditioner and even boot polished it at some point in its life, this is not a Front quarter Horse jacket but still made to last by my personal favourite jacket maker.
Gone but not forgotten haha.

Johnny Tee

P6030031_zpseb8133c9.jpg

securedownload.jpg

P6030048_zps7bb34960.jpg

OEM: lol
Looks great - very similar to mine now. Once I got over babying it, I was thrilled with how much better it looked and I felt. When you lay down big cash for your first jacket, it's tough to not baby it. But as we see, it's the way to go! Well done. (both of you)

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
My first expensive one was my harley jacket for about $900 and I babied that jacket. It still looks like new and have no character at all.

I actually dont like deep scratches on my Aero jackets, so I try not to rub against the ground or up against walls. However if it happens it happens. I try and use my jackets in all other kinds of situations like I had my Highwayman when moving into a new home (carrying heavy stuff that rubbed hard against the jacket and coming into wierd situations against inner walls and such) and I dont care about carrying somewhat dirty things including kids who kick with their shoes on the jacket. I also just lay on the grass or snow without hesitation but Im cautious with asphalt and scratchy cements walls and such.

That being said, your jacket looks very good, but I will try and not deliberately get scratches like that on the back. :)

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Hell yes but my stories go back a few years.
Around 1984 I had a 1960 Ford Zephyr, it was one of those vehicles that had a column change gearbox. Being over 20 years old this was considered just an old car then so probably had had virtually no major maintenance done to the linkage. In their time these cars were quite well known for jamming up the linkage and 20 years of wear would only add to complications.
So, a dark rainy night I dropped someone off then drove to a point to turn the car around. In my impatience I pushed the gear leaver into reverse while still travelling forward at around 1/10 of a mile per hr, in other words nearly stopped. And that did it. all the actuating rods criss crossed themselves and that was it, we were going nowhere. So I popped the bonnet(hood) and gave the rods a good tug, no chance. So it was under I got, in the rain and the gravel. I pulled and tugged and eventually got the thing free. So with a soaked shirt, lots of road dirt and greasy hands we were on our way again. All this in my trusty Aero(Battersea)A2.
More years passed and this jacket went through a few outside romantic interludes, but much much more, leaning on beer drenched bar tops. I also wore the jacket to work every day, worked on cars when it was a bit chilly and it also got soaked in rain, petrol and various other substances.
The patina on this jacket has developed over the years and looks fantastic, Though I would not recommend doing these things purposely, If you have to, then you have to.
And 30 years later this old jacket was still going strong, I have fed with my favourite conditioner and even boot polished it at some point in its life, this is not a Front quarter Horse jacket but still made to last by my personal favourite jacket maker.
Gone but not forgotten haha.

Johnny Tee

P6030031_zpseb8133c9.jpg

securedownload.jpg

P6030048_zps7bb34960.jpg

The jacket looks awesome!
Great story.
Is that your Busa.
Always wanted one of them.
My next bike is a toss-up between a Busa and a BMW K1300S.
Thanks for the post.
Lenny

Cooperson

One Too Many
Hey Lenny, long time no post. Glad you hung on to your Highwayman, can't believe you've just treated it like that! Only joking, looks great, thanks for the pics.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I'm still here Coop.
I'm mostly a lurker here to learn from all the pros.
Yeah, I love that Highwayman.
Can't wait till it looks even worse.:D
Lenny

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Awesome, but…
TTIWWOP!!! lol
:pTook me ages to work out what that meant.

The jacket looks awesome!
Great story.
Is that your Busa.
Always wanted one of them.
My next bike is a toss-up between a Busa and a BMW K1300S.
Thanks for the post.
Lenny

Hi Lenny, yes thats my Busa, affectionately known as 'Big Suzi. Funny you say, I had had the Busa just a few months and the BMW S100RR was big news in the bike mags so I had to go and look in the local BM showroom. Then I spotted the K1300S. A bit out of my price range even part exing Big Suzi, but what a bike.
I dont quite look right riding the Hayabusa wearing my Highwayman so I have a Dainese 'Power Ranger' outfit at home:
Thats a great looking jacket you have there too, all those marks will one day tell you a story.
J

Peacoat

Bartender
Lenny, the last thing you need is a Hayabusa. They go too fast for you. I think the top speed is about 190 mph out of the box. That's too fast for anyone over 25.

Edit Note: Now I finally know how Rocketeer got his name.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Lenny, the last thing you need is a Hayabusa. They go too fast for you. I think the top speed is about 190 mph out of the box. That's too fast for anyone over 25.

Edit Note: Now I finally know how Rocketeer got his name.
:D

At the age 51 I went from a BSA A65 to the Busa. Though many here[In the lounge] consider the BSA a Classic I cannot think of any 'Classic' qualities this bike has.
Mr Pea, over here all sports bikes, well any bike actually, are limited to 186MPH(300KPH). And the average age for motorcyclists in the UK is 44.
Busa's may be fast but a kid on a 125 can run rings around you in heavy traffic.
JayTee

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Are you serious Peacoat!?!
I live for speed.
At this point in my life, my MC handling skills are the best they've ever been.
I'm also mature enough to know my limits.
I know all about the risks, and I'm willing to take them because I love the adrenaline rush.
Also why I mountain bike.
Trust me, age is just a number.
I know people 20 yrs younger than me who are ready for the rocking chair.
Why live a boring life.
Probably won't buy a Busa though.
I think the BMW is a better sport tourer anyway.
But it has a couple fewer HP.:(
Lenny

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Tongue in cheek.

The Ducati is probably more my speed. They are slower, at about 180 from the factory. At least that's what they were about 5 or 6 years ago when I last looked at them.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
To be honest how long would you ride at 180+ ? These big bikes are mile munchers at high speed but you concentrate so hard at high speeds, personally I would not enjoy my ride if everywhere was a blur. Plus you would be buying a new set of tyres every few hundred miles.
The Ducati is a fantastic looking bike, as is the MV, serious track bikes these, not to say you cannot tour on a sports bike.

This thread is seriously going off topic:p

The sky is grey, it looks like rain. There is a Robin on the washing line to remind us Christmas is only around the next bend. Maybe time to get my winter leathers on, to hell with the crap weather and get the bike out.:cool:
J

Last edited:

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
Great to se some fellow bikers here and now I'm back in India I'll post a couple of pics of yours truly (looking much the worse for wear after doing Delhi->Bejing-->Sydney-->Delhi-->Brussels in 9 hellish days and nights) in the new limited edition red café racer from Aero that I just picked up. Comments on the fit are invited but I'm finally happy. This is a size 38 (in suits I wear a 38 slim fit) and I can wear a shirt+light sweater underneath should I wish to. I measure 5 ft 11 in, weight is 152 lbs. Will post detailed sizing info here when I get around to measuring stuff up.

BTW: I'm 40, ride an MV Agusta brutale 'Italia' 800 cc back in Europe (not wearing this, strictly synthetics only) and an Enfield thunderbird 350 cc here in India....different countries, different bike styles (to be honest, when I max out the Enfield at 110 kmph over here, it's a lot scarier and harder to handle the MV doing 250+ in Europe).

Werner_C_10_2013.jpg

Attachments

• Werner_D_10_2013.jpg
    Werner_D_10_2013.jpg
    742.9 KB · Views: 161

Worf

I'll Lock Up
GREAT looking jacket Xenophon! Nice to see a non-standard color and the fit is impeccable. Long as the sleeves don't ride up too far when you ride, you're golden! Storm cuffs?

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR