Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highwayman fit jacket pics -- looking for feedback.

Edward

Bartender
Edward, it would be interesting to see pics of your HWM zipped but what I see in the selfies looks good. Like the dungarees too. ;)

Thanks, I must have a dig.... I don't seem to have any currently, I suppose because when I tend to wear leathers it's usually warm enough to keep them open unless it rains... The jeans are my old Freddies 40s model in both shots (hence lack of belt - they're on braces, which are under the jacket). They are nice, though imho not worth the £100 or so a pair Freddies have bumped them up to.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
So, I wear a Highwayman in true size, I have a 40" chest and the jacket is a size 40 with 24" pit to pit and I always argued against sizing down, I want to post a few quick snaps of me in my jacket, too. I apologize for the poor quality selfies. This jacket is true to size and I love the fit, it's not slim but relaxed and I feel it in no way to be too big. In fact I wouldn't want it to be any tighter or it would feel restricting. It's perfect as it is and I still wouldn't recommend sizing down it it, you won't be able to move comfortably in it if you do.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think it may have something to do with physique, but I'm about 90% two sizes down per Thurston's recommendation is the way to go unless you want it quite a bit roomy.

lina

Practically Family
I actually think that sizing sounds right, if his actual chest measurement is 40". Usually you add two inches to your actual measurement to get your coat size right? So I measure about 40 but wear a 42 usually. He probably would wear a 42 in a Half Belt, etc, so this might count as sizing down for the HWYman..?

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I don't know about other coats, but with leather jackets I always pick the size true to my actual chest size - 40" chest size 40 - because manufacturers make their pattern accordingly, a size 40 has depending on style 2-8" added to chest circumference. The HWM is probably at the very roomy end with 48" (=24" pit to pit) on a size 40 while Café Racers usually are at 44" (=22" pit to pit). The tightest size 40 I have tried on so far was an Aero A1 with 42" (=21" pit to pit)

I am 5'9" 185 pounds btw, more trunk-shape than v-shape, this is probably why the HWM doesn't fit as lose on me as to more v-shaped athletic people.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So I'm a 44 in a 30's Half-Belt, and this Highwayman will be a 40. As per measurements, it'll be near spot on (we'll see for sure) as I wanted just a touch of room, enough to wear a heavy long sleeve shirt comfortably. The 4-pocket café racer I also own is a nice, snug 42. These are all ordered through Insurrection so added sleeve & body length is standard with them. I tried on a size 44 highwayman in Insurrection last time I was out there in November of 2015 and I was swimming in it.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I tend to speak to Aero where sizes are concerned. I have, I think, three jackets that are my actual size - the Highwayman, Long Half-Belt and ANJ-4. The rest are smaller-fitting 38s. Personally, I feel very self-conscious and uncomfortable if I wear something that is too big for me.

So I'm a 44 in a 30's Half-Belt, and this Highwayman will be a 40. As per measurements, it'll be near spot on (we'll see for sure) as I wanted just a touch of room, enough to wear a heavy long sleeve shirt comfortably. The 4-pocket café racer I also own is a nice, snug 42. These are all ordered through Insurrection so added sleeve & body length is standard with them. I tried on a size 44 highwayman in Insurrection last time I was out there in November of 2015 and I was swimming in it.
Post up some pics Randy! Would love to see it. How'd you spec it?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Will do Tony, it's coming tomorrow, which is like an early Christmas present. Maybe it'll be cool enough soon to wear it. It was on Insurrection's sale page, so not taylor made to me. Hope to get photos of it soon

Will do Tony, it's coming tomorrow, which is like an early Christmas present. Maybe it'll be cool enough soon to wear it. It was on Insurrection's sale page, so not taylor made to me. Hope to get photos of it soon
Enjoy Randy! Nothing quite like refreshing the UPS tracking page! My hope is after Labor Day the Midwest chops 30 degrees off our daily high and we lose the humidity.

Edward

Bartender
So, I wear a Highwayman in true size, I have a 40" chest and the jacket is a size 40 with 24" pit to pit and I always argued against sizing down, I want to post a few quick snaps of me in my jacket, too. I apologize for the poor quality selfies. This jacket is true to size and I love the fit, it's not slim but relaxed and I feel it in no way to be too big. In fact I wouldn't want it to be any tighter or it would feel restricting. It's perfect as it is and I still wouldn't recommend sizing down it it, you won't be able to move comfortably in it if you do.

Little bit boxy, room fora sweater. That's perfect, imo: exactly how the HWM should fit.

Damn it. Now this thread has me thinking about a Highwayman. Literally never gave the jacket a thought, but as this forum often does....

Ha..... yeah. When I came here I didn't like Irvins, now I own an Irvin and a B3; then there's bowlers, dungarees, patent evening wear dressshoes, Grilies....

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Ditto! Started off wondering what the thing was about Irvins and A-2s, now I have one of the former, two of the latter with a third on order...

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
As promised, here's a couple initial photos, not fit photos yet (this weekend) but it seems to fit rather well by my measurements. A little room in the sleeves, which is alright with me as I want to be able to layer under it this fall. I rather like the brown of this jacket with just a little reddish in it for good measure.
DSC_0999.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0001.JPG

Edward

Bartender
i
As promised, here's a couple initial photos, not fit photos yet (this weekend) but it seems to fit rather well by my measurements. A little room in the sleeves, which is alright with me as I want to be able to layer under it this fall. I rather like the brown of this jacket with just a little reddish in it for good measure.
View attachment 55861 View attachment 55862 View attachment 55863

Very nice indeed. The tweed lining complements that warm, reddish brown hide beautifully. Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff