Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel 30% off

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I came across a brick n mortar with Himel jackets 30% off. Decent selection and many more their website lists. Mostly sizes 40 and 42. Seem to be about $1500 before discount.
No affiliation. Just seems like something the collective would be interested.

Is it appropriate to list the seller or is it too close to advertising?

I
I came across a brick n mortar with Himel jackets 30% off. Decent selection and many more their website lists. Mostly sizes 40 and 42. Seem to be about $1500 before discount.
No affiliation. Just seems like something the collective would be interested.

Is it appropriate to list the seller or is it too close to advertising?
n Chicago? Mildblend?

I wasn’t very impressed with the Himel jackets there. Leather felt cheap and the fits on the two or three in my size were pretty bad. Not what I expected but also not custom. I don’t think posting a link is foul play. Mildblend is a great place. They’ve hemmed and repaired many pairs of jeans for me. Nice people.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
http://mildblend.com/

Agree in total. My only first hand experience with Himel is from there and I was not as impressed as i thought i would be based on reviews i’ve read here. Also, mildblend are good folks. Anyhow, 30% off seems like it might be a good deal for someone....though if you show up in person tax is 10% in these parts.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wasn’t very impressed with the Himel jackets there. Leather felt cheap and the fits on the two or three in my size were pretty bad. Not what I expected but also not custom.
Agree in total. My only first hand experience with Himel is from there and I was not as impressed as i thought i would be based on reviews i’ve read here.

Of note, Mildblend does not carry any Himel jackets made from Shinki HH, nor even Italian HH. Rather, Mildblend only carry's Himel jackets made from steerhide and goat. These leathers are far less expensive as compared to Shinki and not even remotely representative of the better hides available through Himel. Moreover, Mildblend only carries Himel's less expensive, second tier line of jackets, as opposed to Himel's more expensive top tier jackets. I hesitate to label a $1,600 jacket a budget model, but the fact remains that these are entry level models in Himel's line up and should be evaluated accordingly.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
That explains it. I’m definitely uneducated on the brand. They get good reviews from several knowledgeable members, but with the exception of your frobisher most of them leave me cold.

Of note, Mildblend does not carry any Himel jackets made from Shinki HH, nor even Italian HH. Rather, Mildblend only carry's Himel jackets made from steerhide and goat. These leathers are far less expensive as compared to Shinki and not even remotely representative of the better hides available through Himel. Moreover, Mildblend only carries Himel's less expensive, second tier line of jackets, as opposed to Himel's more expensive top tier jackets. I hesitate to label a $1,600 jacket a budget model, but the fact remains that these are entry level models in Himel's line up and should be evaluated accordingly.
I suspected as much. TBH I’d struggle paying 1/3rd the asking price for the Mildblend jackets. The 44” jackets seemed to sized for a 44” waist rather than chest. OTR is not Himels strong suit. It’s plainly obvious as the custom jackets posted here have nothing in common with the Mildblend offerings...much like the Orvis jacket. Just doesn’t cut the mustard.

Superfluous

That explains it. I’m definitely uneducated on the brand. They get good reviews from several knowledgeable members, but with the exception of your frobisher most of them leave me cold.
I suspected as much. TBH I’d struggle paying 1/3rd the asking price for the Mildblend jackets. The 44” jackets seemed to sized for a 44” waist rather than chest. OTR is not Himels strong suit. It’s plainly obvious as the custom jackets posted here have nothing in common with the Mildblend offerings...much like the Orvis jacket. Just doesn’t cut the mustard.

Agreed. The stellar reviews are, with few exceptions, for custom jackets made with Shinki HH. The custom fit and the leather obviously contribute greatly to the owner's satisfaction. OTR jackets made from steer are a different animal (pun intended). If the OTR happens to fit you well and you prefer steer, you are in luck. Otherwise, go with Himel's strong suit and get a custom Shinki jacket.

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
Cold? Really?
Not only Frobisher is cool jacket of Himels, look also at some photos of @Carlos840 Himel jackets (you may find the necessary photos in his collection' thread right over here on FL) - those jackets would probably make you "hot")) Almost sure actually)
Himel jackets made of Shinki are superb, I agree with @Superfluous

Mich486

One Too Many
Both the goat and the steer used (although I’m sure not as good as the more expensive shinki HB has on offer) look very nice to me. Maybe the pictures are deceiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colin G

One Too Many
Cold? Really?
Not only Frobisher is cool jacket of Himels, look also at some photos of @Carlos840 Himel jackets (you may find the necessary photos in his collection' thread right over here on FL) - those jackets would probably make you "hot")) Almost sure actually)

Yes, cold. I am with this sentiment also, although the Canuck is nice looking jacket.

I don't like them much either. So what? Just because a jacket is considered high end and is expensive and gets high praise from some here does not mean everyone has to like them. We like what we like.

I don't get all gushy about most of the Japanese leather either.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Cold? Really?
Yep. While i agree @Carlos does kill it, the designs just aren’t for me.

Superfluous

I don't like them much either. So what? Just because a jacket is considered high end and is expensive and gets high praise from some here does not mean everyone has to like them. We like what we like.

I completely agree. A jacket can be perfectly made my 100 elves using unicorn hide, but if the design doesn't resonate, it doesn't resonate and the quality of the construction/hide is immaterial. Himel's designs appeal to some, but not others. Thats the beauty of Aero -- with so many different designs, they have something for everyone. With smaller manufacturers, its hit or miss. Langlitz and Lewis Leathers are two first rate manufacturers that leave me completely cold -- I do not find their designs appealing. It has nothing to do with the quality of their products.

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
I completely agree. A jacket can be perfectly made my 100 elves using unicorn hide, but if the design doesn't resonate, it doesn't resonate and the quality of the construction/hide is immaterial. Himel's designs appeal to some, but not others. Thats the beauty of Aero -- with so many different designs, they have something for everyone. With smaller manufacturers, its hit or miss. Langlitz and Lewis Leathers are two first rate manufacturers that leave me completely cold -- I do not find their designs appealing. It has nothing to do with the quality of their products.
@Superfluous, very well said. Exactly! Absolutely agree. That's true.
I find several (not all - but several particular ones) Himel's Shinki jackets very attractive, desirable and tempting. I love several their patterns and I love Shinki HH. I also very like some particular Freewheelers, The Few and Real McCoy's. Though I stay calm about Langlitz and Lewis (and also Johnson), which are honorable makers of course but they just don't inspire my feelings as much as some other makers. But I truly like Cal. leather and Vanson (esp. their older jackets), though their leathers are absolutely different, esp. in direct comparison with Shinki. I'd even say - almost opposite ones. But still great.
Yep, to each his own.
No problem!)
Diversity in this market is great for all)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay