Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel Brothers Leather Co.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
anyone know of a maker doing a similar design as the DH 1929 Heron?
no one else is making a civian style A1 that I am aware of. John Chapman of Good Wear has a recent update to his A1 pattern made in capeskin:

Type_A1_Jacket.jpg

reverse_view1.jpg

Ishmael

Practically Family
Thanks! Nice looking jacket. But still, at least from (my highly subjective) design and aesthetic perspective, not on par with the DH. The club shawl collar, lack of wooly stretchies, and larger better proportioned pockets make the DH much more desirable (for me, of course!). The shawl collar gives you a nice "v zone" to display shirt, scarf, tie, bolo or whatever you've got. Plus it lets the lining color "pop" out. Little red lining peeking out can do a lot to soften the harder look of a leather jacket.

DH uses the term "cossack" to refer to this Jacket. But, Bretron, you are using "civilian". Are "civilian" and "cossack" interchangeable in this case? What exactly does each term denote about this jacket?

Ishmael

Practically Family
nahh, just a measly $375 :lol: admittedly, I own a few pair... :eusa_doh: I'm a sucker for some of those brands (e.g. Flat Head and Sugar Cane).

Once you start buying nice denim, you can't go back. Well, that's been my experience. I like Pure Blue Japan and Iron Heart!

Ishmael

Practically Family
Thanks HD. Too bad, it's a nice design. But, as you stated above, that's the upside of having another innovative maker like DH to choose from.

Ishmael

Practically Family
Nice detective work HD!

But it's almost like the exception that proves the rule. Japanese makeup from a few years back that is out of stock everywhere, and apparently out of production. And, at least to me, it's a pretty quirky design. I'm new to this, but shouldn't an A-1 have buttons? Not sure I like buttons from a functional perspective, but an a-1 jacket like the Heron looks a lot better with buttons IMO.

Or maybe I'm just trying to rationalize the purchase of a very expensive jacket!

John Lever

One Too Many
I know of no one making a jacket of that design except Himel Bros.
Levis make one and have done so for several years. It is based on their original jacket from 1930 and is made from Capeskin. I have one in goatskin it's my favourite jacket.
Aero also have an original but have yet to copy it despite my many requests.

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
maybe I'm just trying to rationalize the purchase of a very expensive jacket

This can happen! Another thing is trying to find the one jacket that fits all your needs/expectations.

My advice is to gather the sum you have/n't got, spin a coin and either buy the first jacket that comes to mind or spend the cash on a brief vacation.

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
Himel jackets are definitely in the higher tax bracket (eg RMJP), and I bet he'd sell 10x as much if he dropped his price point about 40%, but I cannot knock his collection which I think is outstanding. I think he makes the nicest looking civilian A1 and d pocket on the market (IMO, of course). That said, I can't figure why he's so damn high (tho if the Self Edge kiddos are buying, he's found his market)

+1 Even if you assume that the quality of materials and craftsmanship is on a par with GW (which is giving DH - a relatively unknown maker - a lot of credit to start), it is unclear to me how you can justify the price difference. Same holds true for the Rainbow Country and Real McCoy models (but they are beautiful...)

Ishmael

Practically Family
Levis make one and have done so for several years. It is based on their original jacket from 1930 and is made from Capeskin. I have one in goatskin it's my favourite jacket.
Aero also have an original but have yet to copy it despite my many requests.

Is the Levi's jacket called the Menlo? If so, it doesn't really look like a shawl collar. Any further info or pics on the Aero. That's very interesting!

I'm new here, but it has been somewhat surprising to see the many "overpriced" comments amidst the obvious non-economic-rationality at the heart of FL. Seems like the last place that "homo economicus" would lounge around in. The "overpriced" comments can be helpful, if they help put things in perspective. But, to paraphrase cordwrangler, no need to be sour. Justifying a DH purchase is as easy as saying "I want to support a new and innovative maker like DH", "I like the style of the Heron, and nobody else makes it", the list goes on and on......

What you mean is, you choose not to buy. That's fine. But no maker has to justify anything to any of us. This crops up loads on FL, and it's kind of a 'sour grapes' thing.Basically, how much would it cost you to produce a jacket like this? Find out!
Sour grapes? With this crowd? I think you need to spend more time here. The collective lot here spends plenty. There's a threshold though that people with means less than a presidential candidate have and $1000 jeans and $3000 jackets seem a little over the top. Feel free to buy them and post up pics - I'll be happy to live through your purchases from here. Nothing sour at all. Just a little common sense. I recall the McMansion crowd too. most are now living in studio apartments... lol

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
What you mean is, you choose not to buy. That's fine. But no maker has to justify anything to any of us. This crops up loads on FL, and it's kind of a 'sour grapes' thing.

Basically, how much would it cost you to produce a jacket like this? Find out!

The sour grapes card card always makes me chuckle. Elitist mutch?

What you pay for is the material ( wich can be expensive becose they buy in small loads since they probably are a small operation.) and the work of the employee. Price is a personal choice often ego driven. Who cares... If some peoples what to get a loan at the bank for a jacket it's their choice.

My vanson gets me everywhere, is built to outlast, USA made, competitively priced, is neat looking and fits me as if it was talor made. Oh yeah and no Vaseline Added Tax.

Graemsay

Practically Family
A jacket by Himel Bros, or any of the favoured brands on the Fedora Lounge (Aero, Eastman, Good Wear, Lost Worlds) is going to run between $1000 and $1500, or more in some cases. I suspect that's what it costs to produce a retro horsehide jacket to the sort of standard we demand.

The fact that Aero have had to put up prices recently suggests they're not making a huge margin on the jackets, unless Cloudylemonade is keeping very quiet about her Ferrari collection. :D

Furthermore Himel Bros and Good Wear are smaller operations, so there's no scope for economies of scale, nor for scaling up production. And there might be problems in pricing their output in a strong currency like the Canadian dollar.

Personally, I like some of their jackets, in particular the Canuck Railroad coat and Cafe Racer shirt. I'd probably not buy one because it's an awful lot of money to spend on something unseen. The only make that I'd make an exception for would be Good Wear, and that's because I've heard enough praise to be willing to take a chance on one.

But if you like them, and can justify the cost (we're all enablers around here :)), then why not?

It's unlined as were the first ones I believe.

Very cool. We discussed unlined riding jackets a while back. This one's pretty cool! Kinda looks like the GW A-1 cape I have. As to Himel or any other over the top brand - it's not "affording" one for most, it's "I'm not a sucker" kicking in. I think my parents for that - and my Dad always said "if you're going to buy something, buy the best". Best doesn't mean the most expensive so you can flaunt it whilst holding your PBR at the Flannel Bar lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points