Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel Brothers Leather Co.

John Lever

One Too Many
It is cool and several people in the past have asked me about it, usually assistants in clothes shops. I bought it from ebay new with tags for £450[ $700 ?] a few years ago. That's about the most I would pay for a Levis jacket.

Levis make the same jacket but now with a cotton lining and out of sheep leather. At $950 that's expensive for what is I suppose a mass produced item when compared to Goodwear or Himmel Bros who have completely different economies of scale.

(Normal Person): ..." Hey!..That's a fabulous great looking jacket,HD"!!! Excitedly..."You just don't see them made like that anymore in hide like that...in a style like that"!!! "Where'd you get something like that"?? "Off a sale page you say"!! "Great!!...How much"???..."WHAT"?? "WHAT"!! (Normal Person again): ..."Gulp"..."Are you freakin kidding ME"!!
Remember?
HD

bretron

Call Me a Cab
What you mean is, you choose not to buy. That's fine. But no maker has to justify anything to any of us. This crops up loads on FL, and it's kind of a 'sour grapes' thing.

Basically, how much would it cost you to produce a jacket like this? Find out!

No sour grapes meant at all. I would kill for one of Himel's Avro d pockets, but can in no way justify it when a John Chapman or Diamond Dave, who both run operations similar to DH (including source materials), sell their jackets for around $1200. Heres to hoping a used one, size 42, comes up on the used market with my name on it :D (one sold on eBay about 2mos back for $750, but I slept in the day it sold :( )

Ishmael

Practically Family
@John Lever, thanks for posting the pic. Awesome jacket!

No sour grapes meant at all. I would kill for one of Himel's Avro d pockets, but can in no way justify it when a John Chapman or Diamond Dave, who both run operations similar to DH (including source materials), sell their jackets for around $1200. Heres to hoping a used one, size 42, comes up on the used market with my name on it :D (one sold on eBay about 2mos back for $750, but I slept in the day it sold :( )

But will John Chapman or Diamond Dave make you an Avro d pocket? I'm asking seriously. I don't know anything about these operations. JC has been mentioned several times on here as an alternative to DH. However, when I went and looked at his lineup, it was mostly A-2s. It seems hard to say JC is an alternative to DH, if he doesn't do a similar jacket. Perhaps part of the "extra" cost that goes into a DH is in the area of R&D. And perhaps that's why the Avro d pocket and Heron stand out amidst all the A-2s? You guys will laugh, but I'm only planning on getting one leather jacket. Figure I should get the one I want (as long as within my means).

bretron

Call Me a Cab
I agree whole heartedly to get what you want. I think weve all done it where we want one thing, but because of the cost end up with something else, but are never totally satisfied because it wasn't what we really really wanted...

But trust that whatever you end up with you'll be eyeing your next jacket about ten minutes into wearing it:lol:

That Heron sure is unique and a beauty!
I noticed a couple of days ago that Mojo1975 posted that Insurrection is getting something similar sometime in the near future...If I understand correctly, but I'm not sure who'll make them. Any ideas?

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l584/Mojo032075/Early1920sUtilityJacket1.jpg

I also saw a beautiful A1 on Eastman's site in the civilian section: "Thunderbird Field A1".

Last edited:

Ishmael

Practically Family
I agree whole heartedly to get what you want. I think weve all done it where we want one thing, but because of the cost end up with something else, but are never totally satisfied because it wasn't what we really really wanted...

But trust that whatever you end up with you'll be eyeing your next jacket about ten minutes into wearing it:lol:

Yes, I know. But isn't amazing how I can convince myself that I only need one. LoL.

Ishmael

Practically Family
Last edited:
You guys will laugh, but I'm only planning on getting one leather jacket. Figure I should get the one I want (as long as within my means).

Well..I do gotta chuckle just a little bit,Ishmael..:whistling
..but certainly..you should get exactly what you want. However..it does seem that 'exactly' can send many of us on a journey of sorts. Thankfully..I have found exactly what I want..after a few years and purchases..but I finally got there!
That jacket you tried on in Japan is very nice..ya know ;)

HD

Well..I do gotta chuckle just a little bit,Ishmael..:whistling ..but certainly..you should get exactly what you want. However..it does seem that 'exactly' can send many of us on a journey of sorts. Thankfully..I have found exactly what I want..after a few years and purchases..but I finally got there! That jacket you tried on in Japan is very nice..ya know ;) HD
Yeah, but it's so cheap ;)

Ishmael

Practically Family
Laugh away HD, I'm actually chuckling alongside. I'm sure I'll want another. But not comprising will (slightly) alleviate that, I hope. The jackets I'm looking here are all wonderful (but not cheap Butte LoL), and will probably be the one I bring home. But, since I was offered a Himel on loan, I figure I'd better check it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21